Fundamental Study on Novel On-Machine Measurement Method of a Cutting Tool Edge Profile with a Fluorescent Confocal Microscopy
Kenji Maruno*, Masaki Michihata**, Yasuhiro Mizutani*, and Yasuhiro Takaya*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
2-1, Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8904, Japan
-  A. Jawaid et al., “Tool wear characteristics in turning of titanium alloy Ti-6246,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.92, pp. 329-334, 1999.
-  Y. Takaya, “In-Process and On-Machine Measurement of Machining Accuracy for Process and Product Quality Management: A Review,” Int. J. of Automation Technology Vol.8, No.1, pp. 4-19, 2014.
-  P. A. Dearnley and A. N. Grearson, “Evaluation of principal wear mechanisms of cemented carbides and ceramics used for machining titanium alloy IMI 318,” Materials Science and Technology, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 47-58, 1986.
-  L. Xiaoping and W. K. H. Seah, “Tool wear acceleration in relation to workpiece reinforcement percentage in cutting of metal matrix composites,” Wear, Vol.247, No.2, pp. 161-171, 2001.
-  W. Liu, A. Ishii, et al., “Cutting Tool Wear Detection and Tool Management Using Visual Sensors,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, pp. 135-139, 1999.
-  A. Shinozaki and Y. Namba, “Diamond tool wear in the ultra-precision cutting of large electroless nickel coated molding dies,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 283-288, 2011.
-  S. Ito, et al., “Measurement of Cutting Edge Width of a Rotary Cutting Tool by Using a Laser Displacement Sensor,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 28-33, 2014.
-  J. Fujiwara, K. Wakao et al., “Influence of Tungsten-Carbide and Cobalt on Tool Wear in Cutting of Cemented Carbides with Polycrystalline Diamond Tool,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 433-438, 2013.
-  J. Drescher, “Scanning electron microscopic technique for imaging a diamond tool edge,” Precision engineering, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 112-114, 1993.
-  C. Ibrahim, M. Turker et al., “Evaluation of tool wear when machining SiC p-reinforced Al-2014 alloy matrix composites,” Materials & design, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 251-255, 2004.
-  M. Nouari et al., “Wear characteristics and performance of multi-layer CVD-coated alloyed carbide tool in dry end milling of titanium alloy,” Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol.200, No.18, pp. 5663-5676, 2006.
-  W. Gao et al., “Precision and fast measurement of 3D cutting edge profiles of single point diamond micro-tools,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, No.1, pp. 451-454, 2009.
-  T. Asai et al., “On-Machine Measurement of Tool Cutting Edge Profiles,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 408-414, 2009.
-  P. Khajornrungruang et al., “High precision tool cutting edge monitoring using laser diffraction for on-machine measurement,” Int. J. of automation technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 163-167, 2012.
-  S. H. Jang et.al., “A micro optical probe for edge contour evaluation of diamond cutting tools,” J. of sensors and sensor systems, Vol.3, pp. 69-76, 2014.
-  R. Morris et al., “Environmental Spectroscopy Brings the Measurement to the Sample,” Int. Environmental Technology, pp. 12-13, 2013.
-  M. Michihata et al., “Sensing a vertical surface by measuring a fluorescence signal using a confocal optical system,” Meas. Sci. technol., Vol.25, No.6, 064004, 2014.
-  T. R Corle and G. S. Kino, “Confocal Scanning Optical Microscopy and Related Imaging Systems,” Academic Press, 1996.
-  S. Hell et.al., “Aberrations in confocal fluorescence microscopy induced by mismatches in refractive index,” J. of microscopy, Vol.169, No.3, pp. 391-405, 1993.
-  McNally, G. James et al., “Three-dimensional imaging by deconvolution microscopy,” Methods, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 373-385, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.