Low-Energy Injection Molding Process by a Mold with Permeability Fabricated by Additive Manufacturing
Hiroshi Koresawa, Kohei Tanaka, and Hiroyuki Narahara
Department of Mechanical Information Science and Technology, Kyushu Institute of Technology
680-4 Kawazu, Iizuka, Fukuoka 820-8502, Japan
This paper describes the improvement of flow length and realization of low-energy molding in the injection molding process, by focusing on the injection mold with permeability fabricated by additive manufacturing. The mold is equipped with a sintered body with permeability, which is used as a mold insert. The inside of the sintered mold insert is structured so that the permeability should not be degraded, even if the thickness is increased. With respect to the effect of the sintered mold insert with permeability, the flow length and low-energy molding are evaluated by the filling rate of a thin section of moldings, and the electric energy of the injection molding machine that drives the screw in the injection process. Through fundamental experiments, the mold using the sintered mold insert with permeability was found to improve the flow length. The electric energy of the injection molding machine in the injection process is reduced by 6%–13% compared with the sintered mold insert without permeability.
-  T. Yoneyama and H. Kagawa, “Fabrication of Cooling Channels in the Injection Molding by Laser Metal Sintering,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.2, pp. 162-167, 2008.
-  M. Kojima, H. Narahara, Y. Nakao, H. Fukumaru, H. Koresawa, H. Suzuki, and S. Abe, “Permeability Characteristics and Applications of Plastic Injection Molding Fabricated by Metal Laser Sintering Combined with High Speed Milling,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.2, pp. 175-181, 2008.
-  T. Yoneyama, K. Naito, S. Abe, and M. Miyamaru, “Reduction of Injection Pressure for Thin Walled Molding using the Laser Metal Sintered Mold,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.76, pp. 188-192, 2010.
-  H. Narahara, S. Takeshita, H. Fukumaru, H. Koresawa, and H. Suzuki, “Permeability Performance on Porous Structure of Injection Mold Fabricated by Metal Laser Sintering Combined with High Speed Milling,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.6, pp. 576-583, 2012.
-  M. R. Alkahari, T. Furumoto, T. Ueda, and A. Hosokawa, “Consolidation characteristics of ferrous-based metal powder in additive manufacturing,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.8, pp. JAMDSM0009-JAMDSM0009, 2014.
-  B. Verlee, T. Dormal, and J. Lecomte-Beckers, “Density and porosity control of sintered 316L stainless steel parts produced by additive manufacturing,” Powder Metallurgy, Vol.55, pp. 260-267, 2012.
-  E. Abele, H. A. Stoffregen, M. Kniepkamp, S. Lang, and M. Hampe, “Selective laser melting for manufacturing of thin-walled porous elements,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.215, pp. 114-122, 2015.
-  T. Furumoto, A. Koizumi, M. R. Alkahari, R. Anayama, A. Hosokawa, R. Tanaka, and T. Ueda, “Permeability and strength of a porous metal structure fabricated by additive manufacturing,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.219, pp. 10-16, 2015.
-  H. Koresawa, S. Kawano, H. Naraha and H. Suzuki, “Characteristics of Air Permeability for Injection Mold Fabricated by the Metal Laser Sintering with High Speed Milling,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.80, pp. 1018-1022, 2014.
-  G. Liebig, “Comparison of the Performance of a Hybrid and an All-electric Machine,” Kunststoffe / Plast Europe, Vol.7, pp. 16-17, 2002.
-  J. Wortberg and T. Kamps, “A Comparison of Drive Technologies,” Kunststoffe / Plast Europe, Vol.10, pp. 18-20, 2003.
-  A. Thiriez, T. Gutowski, and I. C. Society, “An environmental analysis of injection molding,” Proc. of the 2006 Ieee Int. Symposium on Electronics & the Environment, Conf. Record, pp. 195-200, 2006.
-  M. H. Chiang, C. C. Chen, and C. F. J. Kuo, “The high response and high efficiency velocity control of a hydraulic injection molding machine using a variable rotational speed electro-hydraulic pump-controlled system,” Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.43, pp. 841-851, 2009.
-  M. H. Chiang, F. L. Yang, Y. N. Chen, and Y. P. Yeh, “Integrated control of clamping force and energy-saving in hydraulic injection moulding machines using decoupling fuzzy sliding-mode control,” Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.27, pp. 53-62, 2005.
-  Y. E. Yoo, S. W. Woo, and S. K. Kim, “Injection molding without prior drying process by the gas counter pressure,” Polymer Engineering and Science, Vol.52, pp. 2417-2423, 2012.
-  S. Abe, Y. Higashi, H. Togeyama, I. Fuwa, and N. Yoshida, “Development of milling-combined laser metal sintering method -Combination of laser-assisted metal sintering method and the milling in one machine,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.73, pp. 912-916, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.