Surface Texturing in Micro Parametric Machining
Takashi Matsumura, Yasuharu Hayase, Jerome Blanchet, Naoki Iioka, and Ryo Kato
Tokyo Denki University
5 Senjyu Asahi-cho, Adachi-ku, Tokyo, 120-8551, Japan
Parametric machining is applied to fabricate micro-scale textures on surfaces by rotating the workpiece and tool. Periodic circular textures are controlled by only four parameters: the distance from the rotation center of the workpiece to that of the tool holder, the rotation radius of the tool in the tool holder, and the angular velocities of the workpiece and the tool holder. The textures to be machined are controlled by simulating the trajectory of the tool on the workpiece. A texturing machine was developed with two servomotors and three stepping motors, where the rotations of the servomotors were synchronized. Some examples are shown to verify the presented texturing in cutting tests. Because functional surfaces should be controlled by the surface structure, a model is presented to simulate the surface profiles of the textures. The orientation of the cutting tool with respect to the cutting direction is discussed in terms of the surface structure and the surface finish. The cutting load is estimated with the indentation and the shearing components in a simplified force model.
-  R. L. Wenzel, “Resistance of Solid Surfaces to Wetting by Water,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.28, No.8, pp. 988-994, 1936.
-  A. B. D. Cassie and S. Baxter, “Wettability of Porous Surfaces,” Trans. Faraday Soc., Vol.40, pp. 546-551, 1944.
-  A. A. G. Bruzzone, H. L. Costa, P. M. Lonardo, and D. A. Lucca, “Advances in Engineered Surfaces for Functional Performance,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, pp. 750–769, 2008.
-  M. Wakuda, Y. Yamauchi, S. Kanzaki, and Y. Yasuda, “Effect of Surface Texturing on Friction Reduction between Ceramic and Steel Materials under Lubricated Sliding Contact,” Wear, Vol.254, pp. 356–363, 2003.
-  P. Basnyat, B. Luster, C. Muratore, A. A. Voevodin, R. Haasch, R. Zakeri, P. Kohli, and S. M. Aouadi, “Surface Texturing for Adaptive Solid Lubrication,” Surface & Coatings Technology, Vol.203, pp. 73–79, 2008.
-  F. Meng, R. Zhou, T. Davis, J. Cao, Q. W. Jane, H. Diann, and L. Jordan, “Study on Effect of Dimples on Friction of Parallel Surfaces under Different Sliding Conditions,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.256, pp. 2863–2875, 2010.
-  A. A. Voevodin and J. S. Zabinski, “Laser Surface Texturing for Adaptive Solid Lubrication,” Wear, Vol.261, pp. 1285–1292, 2006.
-  D. P. Wan, B. K. Chen, Y. M. Shao, S. L. Wang, and D. J. Hu, “Microstructure and Mechanical Characteristics of Laser Coating – Texturing Alloying Dimples,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.255, pp. 3251–3256, 2008.
-  X. Luo, Y. Wang, P. Chen, and L. Zhou, “Investigation of CO2 Laser Beam Modulation by Rotating Polygon,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.49, pp. 132–136, 2011.
-  M. Yoshino, T. Matsumura, N. Umehara, Y. Akagami, S. Aravindan, and T. Ohno, “Engineering Surface and Development of a New DNA Micro Array Chip,” Wear, Vol.260, pp. 274–286, 2006.
-  T. Matsumura, F. Iida, T. Hirose, and M. Yoshino, “Micro Machining for Control of Wettability with Surface Topography,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.212, pp. 2669–2677, 2012.
-  Y. Q. Wang, G. F. Wu, Q. G. Han, L. Fang, and S. R. Ge, “Tribological Properties of Surface Dimple-textured by Pellet-pressing,” Procedia Earth and Planetary Science, Vol.1, pp. 1513–1518, 2009.
-  T. Matsumura, M. Serizawa, T. Ogawa, and M. Sasaki, “Surface Dimple Machining in Whirling,” Journal of Manufacturing Systems, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmsy.2014.07.008, 2014 (in press).
-  S. Kogusu, T. Ishimatsu, and Y. Ougiya, “Rapid Generation of Surface Dimples Using End Milling,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.1, pp. 45–51, 2007.
-  T. Matsumura and S. Takahashi, “Micro Dimple Milling on Cylinder Surfaces,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.14, pp. 135–140, 2012.
-  E. Graham, C. I. Park, and S. S. Park, “Inclined Ball End Milling of Micro-Dimpled Surfaces for Polymeric Components,” Proceedings of 41th North American Manufacturing Research Conference, Vol.41, NAMRC41-1591, 2013.
-  T. Matsumura and S. Takahashi, “Machining of Micro Dimples in Milling for Functional Surfaces,” American Institute of Physics, Proceedings of the 14th International ESAFORM Conference on Material Forming, Vol.1353, pp. 567-572, 2011.
-  T. Matsumura and M. Kakishita, “Parametric Glass Milling with Simultaneous Control,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.15, pp. 1–7, 2013.
-  T. Komatsu, T. Matsumura, and S. Torizuka, “Effect of Grain Size in Stainless Steel on Cutting Performance in Micro-Scale Cutting,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 334–341, 2011.
-  T. Komatsu, Y. Musha, T. Yoshino, and T. Matsumura, “Surface Finish and Affected Layer in Milling of Fine Crystal Grained Stainless Steel,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.19, pp. 148-154, 2015.
-  J. Chae, S. S. Park, and T. Freiheit, “Investigation of Micro-cutting Operations,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 313–332, 2006.
-  H. Perez, A. Vizan, J. C. Hernandez, and M. Guzman, “Estimation of Cutting Forces in Micromilling through the Determination of Specific Cutting Pressures,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.190, pp. 18–22, 2007.