Generation of Uniformly Aligned Dimples on a Curved Surface Using a Curved-Surface, Patch-Division Milling Technique
Kai Xu* and Hiroyuki Sasahara**
*ISEKI & Co., Ltd
5-3-14 Nishinippori, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo 116-8541, Japan
**Department of Mechanical System Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
-  K. Tozawa, Y. Kobayashi, and K. Shirai, “Development of Surface Texturing System by Mechanical Machining,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Contributed Papers, Vol.71, No.7, pp. 879-884, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  X. Wang, K. Adachi, and K. Otsuka, “Optimization of the Surface Texture for Silicon Carbide Sliding in Water,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.253, pp. 1282-1286, 2006.
-  A. A. G. Bruzzone, H. L. Coata, and P. M. Lonardo, “Advances in Engineered Surfaces for Functional Performance,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, pp. 750-769, 2008.
-  X. Wang, W. Liu, and F. Zhou, “Preliminary Investigation of the Effect of Dimple Size on Friction in Line Contacts,” Tribology International, Vol.42, pp. 1118-1123, 2009.
-  F. Alam, T. Steiner, and H. Chowdhury, “A Study of Golf Ball Aerodynamic Drag,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.13, pp. 226-231, 2011.
-  S. G. Scholz, C. A. Griffiths, and S. S. Dimov, “Manufacturing Routes for Replicating Micro and Nano Surface Structures with Bio-mimetic Applications,” CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.4, pp. 347-356, 2011.
-  A. Kovalchenko, O. Ajayi, and A. Erdemir, “Friction and Wear Behavior of Laser Textured Surface under Lubricated Initial Point Contact,” Wear, Vol.271, pp. 1719-1725, 2011.
-  V. Franzen, J. Witulski, A. Brosius, and M. Trompeter, “Textured Surfaces for Deep Drawing Tools by Rolling,” International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.50, pp. 969-976, 2010.
-  C. Dong, Y. Gu, and M. Zhong, “Fabrication of Superhydrophobic Cu Surfaces with Tunable Regular Micro and Random Nano-scale Structures by Hybird Laser Texture and Chemical Etching,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.211, pp. 1234-1240, 2011.
-  J. Bico, U. Thiele, and D. Quere, “Wetting of Textured Surfaces,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol.206, pp. 41-46, 2002.
-  L. Zhu, Y. Feng, and X. Ye, “Tuning Wettability and Getting Superhydrophobic Surface by Controlling Surface Roughness with Well-designed Microstructures,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.130-131, pp. 595-600, 2006.
-  E. Brinksmeier, Y. Mutlugunes, and F. Klocke, “Ultra-precision Grinding,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, pp. 652-671, 2010.
-  H. S. Shin, D. K. Chung, and M. S. Park, “Analysis of Machining Characteristics in Electrochemical Etching Using Laser Masking,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.258, pp. 1689-1698, 2011.
-  H. S. Shin, M. S. Park, and C. N. Chu, “Electrochemical Etching Using Laser Masking for Multilayered Structures on Stainless Steel,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, pp. 585-588, 2010.
-  T. Sugihara and T. Enomoto, “Development of a Cutting Tool with a Nano/micro-textured Surface-Improvement of Anti-adhesive Effect by Considering the Texture Patterns,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, pp. 425-429, 2009.
-  J.-S. Chen, Y.-K. Huang, and M.-S. Chen, “A Study of the Surface Scallop Generating Mechanism in the Ball-end Milling Process,” International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.45, pp. 1077-1084, 2005.
-  K. Tozawa, N. Toida, and Y. Kobayashi, “Estimation of Machining Accuracy by Measurement of Surface Texture Pattern,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 415-421, 2010.
-  Y. Kobayashi, K. Shirai, and Y. Hara, “Generation and Assessment of Random Surface Texture over a Wide Area,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 185-189, 2011.
-  A. M. Ramos, C. Relvas, and J. A. Simoes, “The Influence of Finishing Milling Strategies on Texture, Roughness and Dimensional Deviations on the Machining of Complex Surface,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.136, pp. 209-216, 2003.
-  C. K. Toh, “A Study of the Effects of Cutter Path Strategies and Orientations in Milling,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.152, pp. 346-356, 2004.
-  C. K. Toh, “Surface Topography Analysis in High Speed Finish Mill Inclined Hardened Steel,” Precision Engineering, Vol.28, pp. 386-398, 2004.
-  A. Saito, X. Zhao, and M. Tsutsumi, “Control of Surface Texture of Mold Generated by Ball-end Milling,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.3, pp. 419-423, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  H. Matsuda, H. Sasahara, and M. Tsutsumi, “Generation of a Regularly Aligned Surface Pattern and Control of Cutter Marks Array by Patch Division Milling,” International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.48, pp. 84-94, 2008.
-  K. Xu and H. Sasahara, “Generation of Regularly Aligned Dimples on Triangular Pyramidal Patches Using Patch Division Milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 751-759, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.