Generation of Uniformly Aligned Dimples on a Curved Surface Using a Curved-Surface, Patch-Division Milling Technique
Kai Xu* and Hiroyuki Sasahara**
*ISEKI & Co., Ltd
5-3-14 Nishinippori, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo 116-8541, Japan
**Department of Mechanical System Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
Many products are designed with surface textures that enhance the aesthetic and tactile qualities of the product. In this paper, a curved-surface, patch-division milling technique is proposed for creating uniform aligned cutter marks on a curved surface. Previous research demonstrated a ball-end milling technique that divides the surface into small planar patches where each patch is generated by a helical tool path with dimples in uniform alignment. Because the patches are planar, it is impossible to precisely machine a concave or convex surface. However, the technique could only approximate a method for machining curved surfaces. To resolve this issue, curved surface patches were developed to generate the patch directly according to the shape of the targeted curved surface. The dimples are expected to be uniformly aligned on curvedsurface patches. Therefore, the targeted surface should be cut using an appropriate machining condition. According to the test results, the distribution of dimples was the same as the pre-determined distribution. In addition, the dimples were regularly aligned when viewed from a specific angle. This proposed method overcomes the deviation of the dimple’s positions, which is caused by the acceleration–deceleration of the machine tool and the change of the cutting point during five-axis machining.
-  K. Tozawa, Y. Kobayashi, and K. Shirai, “Development of Surface Texturing System by Mechanical Machining,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Contributed Papers, Vol.71, No.7, pp. 879-884, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  X. Wang, K. Adachi, and K. Otsuka, “Optimization of the Surface Texture for Silicon Carbide Sliding in Water,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.253, pp. 1282-1286, 2006.
-  A. A. G. Bruzzone, H. L. Coata, and P. M. Lonardo, “Advances in Engineered Surfaces for Functional Performance,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, pp. 750-769, 2008.
-  X. Wang, W. Liu, and F. Zhou, “Preliminary Investigation of the Effect of Dimple Size on Friction in Line Contacts,” Tribology International, Vol.42, pp. 1118-1123, 2009.
-  F. Alam, T. Steiner, and H. Chowdhury, “A Study of Golf Ball Aerodynamic Drag,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.13, pp. 226-231, 2011.
-  S. G. Scholz, C. A. Griffiths, and S. S. Dimov, “Manufacturing Routes for Replicating Micro and Nano Surface Structures with Bio-mimetic Applications,” CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.4, pp. 347-356, 2011.
-  A. Kovalchenko, O. Ajayi, and A. Erdemir, “Friction and Wear Behavior of Laser Textured Surface under Lubricated Initial Point Contact,” Wear, Vol.271, pp. 1719-1725, 2011.
-  V. Franzen, J. Witulski, A. Brosius, and M. Trompeter, “Textured Surfaces for Deep Drawing Tools by Rolling,” International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.50, pp. 969-976, 2010.
-  C. Dong, Y. Gu, and M. Zhong, “Fabrication of Superhydrophobic Cu Surfaces with Tunable Regular Micro and Random Nano-scale Structures by Hybird Laser Texture and Chemical Etching,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.211, pp. 1234-1240, 2011.
-  J. Bico, U. Thiele, and D. Quere, “Wetting of Textured Surfaces,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol.206, pp. 41-46, 2002.
-  L. Zhu, Y. Feng, and X. Ye, “Tuning Wettability and Getting Superhydrophobic Surface by Controlling Surface Roughness with Well-designed Microstructures,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.130-131, pp. 595-600, 2006.
-  E. Brinksmeier, Y. Mutlugunes, and F. Klocke, “Ultra-precision Grinding,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, pp. 652-671, 2010.
-  H. S. Shin, D. K. Chung, and M. S. Park, “Analysis of Machining Characteristics in Electrochemical Etching Using Laser Masking,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.258, pp. 1689-1698, 2011.
-  H. S. Shin, M. S. Park, and C. N. Chu, “Electrochemical Etching Using Laser Masking for Multilayered Structures on Stainless Steel,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, pp. 585-588, 2010.
-  T. Sugihara and T. Enomoto, “Development of a Cutting Tool with a Nano/micro-textured Surface-Improvement of Anti-adhesive Effect by Considering the Texture Patterns,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, pp. 425-429, 2009.
-  J.-S. Chen, Y.-K. Huang, and M.-S. Chen, “A Study of the Surface Scallop Generating Mechanism in the Ball-end Milling Process,” International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.45, pp. 1077-1084, 2005.
-  K. Tozawa, N. Toida, and Y. Kobayashi, “Estimation of Machining Accuracy by Measurement of Surface Texture Pattern,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 415-421, 2010.
-  Y. Kobayashi, K. Shirai, and Y. Hara, “Generation and Assessment of Random Surface Texture over a Wide Area,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 185-189, 2011.
-  A. M. Ramos, C. Relvas, and J. A. Simoes, “The Influence of Finishing Milling Strategies on Texture, Roughness and Dimensional Deviations on the Machining of Complex Surface,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.136, pp. 209-216, 2003.
-  C. K. Toh, “A Study of the Effects of Cutter Path Strategies and Orientations in Milling,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.152, pp. 346-356, 2004.
-  C. K. Toh, “Surface Topography Analysis in High Speed Finish Mill Inclined Hardened Steel,” Precision Engineering, Vol.28, pp. 386-398, 2004.
-  A. Saito, X. Zhao, and M. Tsutsumi, “Control of Surface Texture of Mold Generated by Ball-end Milling,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.3, pp. 419-423, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  H. Matsuda, H. Sasahara, and M. Tsutsumi, “Generation of a Regularly Aligned Surface Pattern and Control of Cutter Marks Array by Patch Division Milling,” International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.48, pp. 84-94, 2008.
-  K. Xu and H. Sasahara, “Generation of Regularly Aligned Dimples on Triangular Pyramidal Patches Using Patch Division Milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 751-759, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.