A Low-Profile Planar Motion Table System Driven by Steel Belt
Hayato Yoshioka*, Hidenori Shinno**, and Hiroshi Sawano***
*Department of Mechanical and Control Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
**Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology
4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Meiji University
1-1-1 Higashimita, Tama-ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 214-8571, Japan
Machine tools and inspection systems require high performance positioning table systems that have long travel ranges, lower profile structures, multi-degree-of-freedom motion, and high speed motion, simultaneously. This paper presents a newly developed low-profile planar motion table system driven by steel belts. The driving system has two steel belts, two servo motors, and four ball spline shafts. These elements are symmetrically arranged on the same plane, and the moving table realizes planar motion. After confirming the effectiveness of the proposed driving mechanism with a one-axis table system, the planar table system developed is evaluated through the some positioning experiments. The results confirm that the developed table system is useful in material handling and other applications.
-  R. Sato, “Generation Mechanism of Quadrant Glitches and Compensation for it in Feed Drive Systems of NC Machine Tools,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 154-162, 2012.
-  H. Yachi, and H. Tachiya, “CalibrationMethod for a Parallel Mechanism Type Machine Tool by Response Surface Methodology –Consideration via Simulation on a Stewart Platform Mechanism –,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 355-363, 2010.
-  T. Onodera, E. Suzuki, M. Ding, H. Takemura, and H. Mizoguchi, “Force, Stiffness and Viscous Damping Control of a Stewart-Platform-Type Ankle-Foot Rehabilitation Assist Device with Pneumatic Actuator,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.6, pp. 897-905, 2013.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and H. Sawano, “A framework for systematizing machine tool engineering,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 760-768, 2013.
-  H. Yoshioka and H. Shinno, “Design Concept and Structural Configuration of Advanced Nano-Pattern Generator with Large Work Area ‘ANGEL’,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 38-44, 2011.
-  Y. Kurisaki, H. Sawano, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A Newly Developed X-Y Planar Nano-Motion Table System with Large Travel Ranges,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 976-984, 2010.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, T. Gokan, and H. Sawano, “A Newly Developed Three-dimensional Profile Scanner with Nanometer Spatial Resolution,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, No.1, pp. 525-528, 2010.
-  K. Nishizawa and K. Kishi, “Development of Interference-Free Wire-Driven Joint Mechanism for Surgical Manipulator Systems,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 116-121, 2004.
-  T. H. C. Childs, “The contact and friction between flat belt and pulleys,” Int. Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol.22. No.2. pp. 117-126, 1980.
-  A. S. Kulkarni and M. A. El-Sharkawi, “Intelligent precision position control of elastic drive systems,” IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 26-31, 2001.
-  W. Li and M. Rehani, “Modeling and control of a belt-drive positioning table,” Proc. of the 1996 IEEE IECON 22nd Int. Conf. on Industrial Electronics, Control, and Instrumentation, Vol.3, pp. 1984-1989, 1996.
-  S. Abrate, “Vibration of belts and belt drives,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.27, No.6, pp. 645-659, 1992.
-  J. Moon and J. A. Wickert, “Non-linear vibration of power transmission belts,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol.200, No.4, pp. 419-431, 1997.
-  A. Shimokobe, H. Aoyama, S. Katagiri, and K. Umezawa, “Belt Drive of Linear Air Slide (1st report),” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.53, No.6, pp. 915-920, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  N. Uchida, Y. Takahashi, N. Yamada, and T. Hirokawa, “A Precice Vertical X-Y Stage with Weight Compensating Mechanism – Friction Effects on Positionoing Characteristics –,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.54, No.5, pp. 884-889, 1988 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.