Detection of Contact Point of Parts Using a Force Sensor for Remote-Controlled Assembly Using a 1DOF Haptic Device
Satoshi Niitsu, Ryosuke Tamura, and Hiroyuki Hiraoka
Department of Precision Mechanics, Chuo University
1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
This paper describes the calculation of the point of contact between assembled parts for remotecontrolled assembly using a haptic device with a single degree of freedom (DOF). To achieve such remote-controlled assembly, it is necessary to judge the constraint state and change the movement direction of the part. It is difficult to detect the points of contact between parts around which the rotational movement should be performed. In this paper, we report a method developed for the purpose of determining the contact point using a six-axis force sensor without knowing the geometry of the parts. The proposed method is applicable to cases in which the theoretical contact point cannot be calculated because of errors and fluctuations in the sensory data. The effectiveness and precision of the method are evaluated through experiments and simulations.
-  R. Kamata, R. Tamura, S. Niitsu, H. Kawaharada, and H. Hiraoka, “Use of 1DOF Haptic Device for Remote-Controlled 6DOF Assembly,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Fuji Technology Press, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 452-459, 2014.
-  R. Kamata, S. Niitsu, R. Tamura, H. Kawaharada, and H. Hiraoka, “Development of a haptic device with 1 degree of freedom used for remote controlled assembly operation in 6 degree of freedom,” Proceedings of 2012 The Japan Society For Precision Engineering Spring Meeting, I38, pp. 641-642, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  R. Tamura, S. Niitsu, R. Kamata, H. Kawaharada, and H. Hiraoka, “Development of a virtual axis system used for remote controlled assembly operation,” Manufacturing System Division Conference 2013, 108, pp. 45-46, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  J. Takamatsu, H. Tominaga, K. Ogawara, H. Kimura, and K. Ikeuchi, “Extracting manipulation skills from observation,” IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 584-589, 2000.
-  J. Takamatsu, K. Ogawara, H. Kimura, and Ikeuchi, “Understanding of human assembly tasks for robot execution generation of optimal trajectories based on transitions of contact Relations, C,” The Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 752-589, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  N. Y. Klau, M. C. C. Ngan, L. C. C. Wai, and A. K. S. Ng, “A force-reflecting teleoperator system with assembly state feedback,” Assembly Automation, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 192-200, 2004.
-  M. Shimizu and K. Kosuge, “Planar parts mating task using structured compliance,” The Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.20, No.8 pp. 852-859, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  A. Hara, Y. Aamauchi, H. Kawaharada, and H. Hiraoka, “6DOF Assembly Operation by 1DOF User Operation,” Proceedings of the 29th Annual conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, 3L1-1, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  S. Niitsu, R. Tamura, R. Kamata, H. Kawaharada, and H. Hiraoka, “Development of a mouse-type haptic device with 1 degree of freedom used for remote controlled assembly operation in 6 degree of freedom,” Manufacturing System Division Conference 2013, Vol.109, pp. 47-48, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  C. J. Tsaprounis and N. Aspragathos, “Contact Point identification in robot assembly strategies under uncertainty,” Robotica, Vol.16, pp. 679-690.
-  K. Kitagaki, T. Ogasawara, and T. Suehiro, “Contact State Detection by Force Sensing for Assembly Tasks,” Proc. 1994 IEEE MFI, pp. 366-370.
-  J. K. Salisbury, “Interpretation of Contact Geometries from Force Measurements,” Robotics Research, the First International Symposium, pp. 565-577, 1984.
-  T. Tsujimura and T. Yabuta, “Object Detection by Tactile Sensing Method Employing Force/Torque Information,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 444-450, 1989.
-  S. Hirai and K. Iwata, “Recognition of Contact State based on Geometric Model,” Proc. of the 1992 IEEE Intl. conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1507-1512, 1992.
-  K. Nagata, T. Ogasawara, and K. Takase, “Pose Estimation of Grasped Object from Contact Force or Joint Data of Manipulator,” Jour. of Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 783-789, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nagase, K. Yoshinaga, A. Nakashima, and Y. Hayakawa, “Estimation of Contact Point by Force Sensor with Measurement Noise,” Jour. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 725-731 (in Japanese).
-  H. Mukai and K. Nagase, “Contact Point Sensing From Force Measurements Disturbed By Noise,” Proc. of the European Control Conference 2009, pp. 2211-2216, 2009.
-  T., Yamada, A. Tanaka, M. Yamada, Y. Funahashi, and H. Yamamoto, “Identification of Contact Conditions by Active Force Sensing – Estimated Parameter Uncertainty and Experimental Verificatoin –,” Jour. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 44-52, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.