Laser Modification of Silicon and Borosilicate Glass Wettability for Micro-Fluidic Systems
Yuko Aono, Wataru Shinohara, and Hitoshi Tokura
Department of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
-  Y.-C. Tan, J. S. Fisher, A. I. Lee, V. Cristini, and A. P. Lee, “Design of microfluidic channel geometries for the control of droplet volume, chemical concentration, and sorting,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.4, pp. 292-298, 2004.
-  Y. Bellouard, A. Said, M. Dugan, and P. Bado, “Fabrication of high-aspect ratio, micro-fluidic channels and tunnels using femtosecond laser pulses and chemical etching,” Optics Express, Vol.12, pp. 2120-2129, 2004/05/17 2004.
-  T. N. Kim, K. Campbell, A. Groisman, D. Kleinfeld, and C. B. Schaffer, “Femtosecond laser-drilled capillary integrated into a microfluidic device,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.86, p. 201106, 2005.
-  E. Váazquez, C. Rodr’iguez, A. El’ias-Z’u niga, and J. Ciurana, “An experimental analysis of process parameters to manufacture metallic micro-channels by micro-milling,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.51, pp. 945-955, 2010.
-  B. H. Jo, L. M. Van Lerberghe, K. M. Motsegood, and D. J. Beebe, “Three-dimensional micro-channel fabrication in polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) elastomer,” Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.9, pp. 76-81, 2000.
-  K. Imamura and T. Yasuda, “Droplet Transportation on a Wettability Gradient Surface Generated by Electrowetting-on-Dielectric,” IEEJ Transactions on Sensors and Micromachines, Vol.130, pp. 1-5, 2010.
-  Q. Xie, J. Xu, L. Feng, L. Jiang, W. Tang, X. Luo, et al., “Facile Creation of a Super Amphiphobic Coating Surface with Bionic Microstructure,” Advanced materials, Vol.16, pp. 302-305, 2004.
-  Z. K. Wang, H. Y. Zheng, and H. M. Xia, “Femtosecond laser-induced modification of surface wettability of PMMA for fluid separation in microchannels,” Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol.10, pp. 225-229, 2011.
-  V. Zorba, L. Persano, D. Pisignano, A. Athanassiou, E. Stratakis, R. Cingolani, et al., “Making silicon hydrophobic: wettability control by two-lengthscale simultaneous patterning with femtosecond laser irradiation,” Nanotechnology, Vol.17, p. 3234, 2006.
-  T. Nishino, M. Meguro, K. Nakamae, M. Matsushita, and Y. Ueda, “The Lowest Surface Free Energy Based on –CF3 Alignment,” Langmuir, Vol.15, pp. 4321-4323,1999.
-  J. Lawrence, L. Li, and J. T. Spencer, “Diode laser modification of ceramic material surface properties for improved wettability and adhesion,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.138-139, pp. 388-393, 1999.
-  D. Erickson and D. Li, “Integrated microfluidic devices,” Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol.507, pp. 11-26, 2004.
-  R. L. DeRosa, P. A. Schader, and J. E. Shelby, “Hydrophilic nature of silicate glass surfaces as a function of exposure condition,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol.331, pp. 32-40, 2003.
-  A. Kanta, R. Sedev, and J. Ralston, “Thermally- and Photoinduced Changes in the Water Wettability of Low-Surface-Area Silica and Titania,” Langmuir, Vol.21, pp. 2400-2407, 2005.
-  R. N. Wenzel, “Surface Roughness and Contact Angle,” The Journal of Physical and Colloid Chemistry, Vol.53, pp. 1466-1467, 1949.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.