Property Evaluation of Eccentric Astigmatic Method to Apply Micro Tactile Probe
Hiroki Shimizu, Atsuo Ogawa, Yoshinori Sasaki, and Yuuma Tamaru
Kyushu Institute of Technology
1-1 Sensui-cho, Tobata-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 804-8550, Japan
Displacement detection of a small sphere with high sensitivity is required for realizing the micro tactile probe used in micro-coordinate-measuring machines (CMMs). Therefore, the authors have proposed a new technique for detecting the three-dimensional displacement of a small sphere by a kind of astigmatic method, termed the “eccentric astigmatic method (EAM).” In the EAM, a spherical mirror as a spherical tactile probe is placed on the focus of an objective lens. At this position, three eccentric beams, focused by the objective lens, are incident on the mirror surface at right angles and the reflected rays return on the incident paths. In contrast, when the sphere moves from this position even by a small distance, the return path of each reflected ray changes drastically. This change can be detected by the EAM using a condenser lens and a photodetector. The changes in the spot radius caused by the EAM were calculated using a ray-tracing code. As a result, a change in the spot shape was found to occur only for displacement along one axis. Moreover, simulations based on wave optics were performed, whose results confirmed the feasibility of detection of the three-dimensional displacement of a sphere by the EAM.
-  G. N. Peggs, A. J. Lewis, and S. Oldfield, “Design for a Compact High-Accuracy CMM,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.48, Issue 1, pp. 417-420, 1999.
-  S. Cao, U. Brand, T. Kleine-Besten, W. Hoffmann, H. Schwenke, S. Butefisch, and S. Buttgenbach, “Recent developments in dimensional metrology for microsystem components,” Microsystem Technologies, Vol.8, pp. 3-6, 2002.
-  A. Kung, F. Meli, and R. Thalmann, “Ultraprecision micro-CMM using a low force 3D touch probe,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.18, pp. 319-327, 1999.
-  A. Weckenmann, T. Estler, G. Peggs, and D. McMurtry, “Probing Systems in Dimensional Metrology,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.53, Issue 2, pp. 657-684, 2004.
-  H. Schwenke, U. Neuschaefer-Rube, T. Pfeifer, and H. Kunzmann, “Optical Methods for Dimensional Metrology in Production Engineering,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.51, Issue 2, pp. 685-699, 2002.
-  M. Petz, R. Tutsch, R. Christoph, M. Andraes, and B. Hopp, “Tactile-optical probes for three-dimensional microparts,” Measurement, Vol.45, No.10, pp. 2288-2298, 2012.
-  H. Haitjema, W. O. Pril, and P. H. J. Schellekens, “Development of a Silicon-based Nanoprobe System for 3-D Measurements,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.50, Issue 1, pp. 365-368, 2001.
-  T. Kleine-Besten, S. Loheide, U. Brand, S. Buetifisch, and S. Buettgenbach, “Development and characterisation of new probes for dimensional metrology on microsystem components,” Proc. 1st euspen Int. Conf., Vol.2, pp. 387-390, 1999.
-  G. Dai, S. Butefisch, F. Pohlenz, and H. U. Danzebrink, “A high precision micro/nano CMM using piezoresistive tactile probes,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.20, No.8, p. 084001, 2009.
-  M. Watanabe and R. Furutani, “Development of a Sensitive Probe for Coordinate Measuring Machines,” Key Engineering Materials, Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments VI, Vol.295-296, pp. 325-330, 2005.
-  T. Masuzawa, Y. Hamasaki, and T. Fujino, “Vibroscanning method for non-destructive measurement of small holes,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.42, pp. 589-592. 1993.
-  J. D. Claverley and R. K. Leach, “Development of a three-dimensional vibrating tactile probe for miniature CMMs,” Precision Engineering, Vol.37, pp. 491-499, 2013.
-  J. Hoffmann, A. Weckenmann, and Z. Sun, “Electrical probing for dimensional micro metrology,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.1, Issue 1, pp. 59-62, 2008.
-  K. Takamasu, K. Chih-Che, A. Suzuki, M. Hiraki, R. Furutani, and S. Ozono, “Development of pneumatic ball probe for measuring small hole,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Precision Engineering 1997 (ICPE’97), Vol.2, pp. 767-771. 1997.
-  I. Ogura and Y. Okazaki, “Development of Micro Probe System for Micro Measurement Center,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 471-477, 2009.
-  I. Ogura and Y. Okazaki, “Development of Micro Contact Detection Probe for Microhole Quality Control,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 102-108, 2011.
-  K. Yoshizumi, T. Murao, J. Masui, R. Imanaka, and Y. Okino, “Ultrahigh accuracy 3-D profilometer,” Applied Optics, Vol.26, Issue 9, pp. 1647-1653, 1987.
-  H. Schwenke, F. W”aldele, C. Weiskirch, and H. Kunzmann, “Opto-tactile Sensor for 2D and 3D Measurement of Small Structures on Coordinate Measuring Machines,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.50, Issue 1, pp. 361-364, 2001.
-  T. Oiwa and T. Tanaka, “Miniaturized three-dimensional touch trigger probe using optical fibre bundle,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.16, pp. 1574-1581, 2005.
-  M. Michihata, Y. Takaya, and T. Hayashi, “Development of the nano-probe system based on the laser-trapping technique,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 493-496, 2008.
-  J. B. Tan and J. N. Cui, “Ultraprecision 3D probing system based on spherical capacitive plate,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.159, pp. 1-6, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.