CMM Dynamic Properties of the Scanning Measurement of a 2D Profile
Adam Woźniak and Grzegorz Krajewski
Institute of Metrology and Biomedical Engineering, Warsaw University of Technology
’Sw. A. Boboli 8 St. 02-525 Warsaw, Poland
Scanning probe CMMs have come to be considered the standard in coordinate metrology, not only because they provide high-quantity, high-speed data gathering but also because the scanning technology significantly decreases inspection time. Modern manufacturing, especially in today’s highly competitive economy, requires increasingly efficient measuring machines and processes because inspection machines have often become the bottlenecks in the entire manufacturing processes. More efficient coordinate metrology can mean faster measurement cycles with acceptable accuracies. However, increasing scanning speeds has also significantly increased errors. This article proposes a new method of investigating and identifying the principal components of CMM dynamic errors. The principle of the method is presented, and the validity of the method is experimentally confirmed on a bridge coordinate measuring machine.
-  E. P. Morse and S. A. Farooqui, “Alternative artifacts for evaluating scanning CMM performance,” Proc. of the ASPE 2003 annual meeting, pp. 327-330, 2013.
-  W. G. Weekers and P. H. J. Schellekens, “Compensation for dynamics errors of coordinate measuring machines,” Measurement, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 197-209, 1997.
-  P. H. Pereira and R. J. Hocken, “Characterization and compensation of dynamic errors of a scanning coordinate measuring machine,” Precis Eng, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 22-32, 2007.
-  A. Wo’zniak, “New method for testing the dynamic performance of CMM scanning probes,” IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol.56, No.6, pp. 2767-2774, 2007.
-  A. Wo’zniak and M. Dobosz, “Influence of measured objects parameters on CMM touch trigger probe accuracy of probing,” Precision Engineering, Vol.29, No.3, pp. 290-297, 2005.
-  W. Jinwen and Y. Chen, “The geometric dynamic errors of CMMs in fast scanning-probing,” Measurement, Vol.44, pp. 511-517, 2011.
-  Y. H. Mu and B. K. A. Ngoi, “Dynamic error compensation of coordinate measuring machines for high-speed measurement,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.15, pp. 810-814, 1999.
-  J. Sl adek, K. Ostrowska, and A. Gaska, “Modeling and identification of errors of coordinate measuring arms with use of metrological model,” Measurement: J. of the International Measurement Confederation, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 667-679, 2013.
-  J. Sl adek and A. Gaska, “Evaluation of coordinate measurement uncertainty with use of virtual machine model based on Monte Carlo method,” Measurement: J. of the International Measurement Confederation, Vol.45, No.6, pp. 1564-1575, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.