3D Image Formation in Transmitted Partially Coherent and Incoherent Light Applied to Dimensional Inspection
Yuri V. Chugui*,**,*** and Elena S. Senchenko*
*Technological Design Institute of Scientific Instrument Engineering,
Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (TDI SIE SB RAS)
41 Russkaya str., Novosibirsk 630058, Russia
**Novosibirsk State University
2 Pirogova Street, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
***Novosibirsk State Technical University
20 K. Marksa Prospekt, Novosibirsk 630073, Russia
The peculiarities of 3D objects image formation with clear shadow projection based on the constructive theory of 3D objects formation under illumination by partially coherent and perfectly incoherent light are investigated. Threshold algorithms for determining the position of boundaries of geometric 3D objects are developed, algorithms taking into account object thickness, light source angular sizes, and projection system angular apertures. These algorithms are based on the application of a true (calculated) threshold or a standard one using the corrective component for thresholds. Cases of weak and strong 3D object volumetricity for partially coherent and incoherent illumination are studied. The analytical equations for these algorithms are given. It is shown that the use of algorithms can significantly improve the measurement accuracy of the extended objects.
-  J. G. Webster, “The Measurement, Instrumentation, and Sensors Handbook,” CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, 1999.
-  T. Asai, S. Ferdous, Y. Arai, Y. Yang, and W. Gao, “On-Machine Measurement of Tool Cutting Edge Profiles,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 408-414, 2009.
-  H. Sawano, M. Takahashi, H. Yoshioka, H. Shinno, and K. Mitsui, “On-Machine Optical Surface Profile Measuring System for Nano-Machining,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 369-376, 2011.
-  J. W. Goodman, “Introduction to Fourier Optics,” McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968.
-  Y. V. Chugui and B. E. Krivenkov, “Fraunhofer diffraction by bodies of constant thickness,” JOSA, A6, pp. 617-626, 1989.
-  Y. V. Chugui, “Optical dimensional metrology for 3D objects of constant thickness,” Measurement, Vol.30, pp. 19-31, 2001.
-  Y. V. Chugui and V. A. Sokolov, “High-frequency filtered images of an optically thick edge,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 611-621, 1998.
-  J. W. Goodman, “Speckle Phenomena in Optics: Theory and Applications,” Roberts & Company, Publishers, Englewood, CO, 2006.
-  Y. V. Chugui, N. A. Yakovenko, and M. D. Yaluplin, “Metrology for Fresnel measuring method,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.17, pp. 592-595, 2006.
-  E. S. Senchenko and Yu. V. Chugui, “Shadow Inspection of 3D Objects in Partially Coherent Light,” Measurement Science Review, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 104-107, 2011.
-  M. Born and E. Wolf, “Principles of Optics,” Pergamon Press, New York, 1964.
-  H. Honl, M. Maul, and K. Westpfal, “Theory der Beuding,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1961.
-  J. B. Keller, “Geometrical theory of diffraction,” J. Opt. Soc. Am., No. 52, pp. 116-130, 1961.
-  Y. V. Chugui and K. A. Zebreva, “3D diffraction by volumetric bodies of constant thickness under varying illumination applied to optical inspection,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.18, No.6, pp. 1729-1734, 2007.