Development and Control of a Low-Cost, Three-Thruster, Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicle
Khoa Duy Le, Hung Duc Nguyen, and Dev Ranmuthugala
University of Tasmania / Australian Maritime College, Maritime Way, Newnham, Tasmania 7248, Australia
This paper presents the development of a low cost Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) which consists of open source hardware and has three thrusters. First, the hardware of the vehicle, including the actuators, sensors, and control structure, is described. Second, to study the relationship between the thrust forces and the performance of the ROV, a mathematical model of the vehicle in the form of a kinematic and kinetic model is established. Next, a hybrid control algorithm consisting of two components, namely model-based and PID algorithms, is proposed for surge speed, depth, and heading control. The effectiveness of the hybrid control algorithm is then verified by the ROV mathematical model-based simulations. Finally, free running tests for depth control are conducted to verify the robustness and reliability of the control structure and proposed algorithms.
-  X. Zhang, L. Li, and J. Yang, “Study on Underwater Dual-Laser Structured-Light System for ROV guiding,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 584-591, 2014.
-  H.D. Nguyen, S. Malalagama, and D. Ranmuthugala, “Modelling and Simulation of a Remotely Operated Vehicle,” Proc. of the 6th Vietnam Conf. on Mechatronics (VCM2012), pp. 312-328, 2012.
-  H.D. Nguyen, S. Malalagama, and D. Ranmuthugala, “Design, Modelling and Simulation of a Remotely Operated Vehicle-Part 1,” J. of Computer Science and Cybernetics, Vol.29, No.4, pp. 299-312, 2013.
-  K. D. Le, H.D. Nguyen, and D. Ranmuthugala, “Design, Modelling and Simulation of a Remotely Operated Vehicle-Part 2,” J. of Computer Science and Cybernetics, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 106-116, 2014.
-  J. Busquets, J. V. Busquets, D. Tudela, F. Perez, J. Busquets-Carbonell, A. Barbera, C. Rodriguez, A. J. Garcia, and J. Gilabert, “Low-cost AUV based on Arduino open source microcontroller board for oceanographic research applications in a collaborative long term deployment missions and suitable for combining with an USV as autonomous automatic recharging platform,” Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV), 2012 IEEE/OES, 24-27 Sep. 2012.
-  K. R. Goheen and E. R. Jefferys, “Multivariable self-tuning autopilots for autonomous and remotely operated underwater vehicles,” Oceanic Engineering, IEEE J. of, Vol.15, pp. 144-151, 1990.
-  N. Q. Hoang and E. Kreuzer, “Adaptive PD-controller for positioning of a remotely operated vehicle close to an underwater structure: Theory and experiments,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.15, pp. 411-419, 2007.
-  T. Ken, E. An, and P. P. J. Beaujean, “A Robust Fuzzy Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Docking Approach for Unknown Current Disturbances,” Oceanic Engineering, IEEE J. of, Vol.37, pp. 143-155, 2011.
-  J. Kim and W. K. Chung, “Accurate and practical thruster modeling for underwater vehicles,” Ocean Engineering, Vol.33, pp. 566-586, 2006.
-  D. A. Smallwood and L. L. Whitcomb, “Model-based dynamic positioning of underwater robotic vehicles: theory and experiment,” Oceanic Engineering, IEEE J. of, Vol.29, pp. 169-186, 2004.
-  M. L. Corradini and G. Orlando, “A discrete adaptive variablestructure controller for MIMO systems, and its application to an underwater ROV,” Control Systems Technology, IEEE Trans. on, 5, pp. 349-359, 1997.
-  D. R. Yoerger, J. Newman, and J.J.E. Slotine, “Supervisory control system for the JASON ROV,” Oceanic Engineering, IEEE J. of, 11, pp. 392-400, 1986.
-  J. C. Kinsey, Y. Qingjun, and J. C. Howland, “Nonlinear Dynamic Model-Based State Estimators for Underwater Navigation of Remotely Operated Vehicles,” Control Systems Technology, IEEE Trans. on, 22, pp. 1845-1854, 2014.
-  D. Fredrik and J. S. Asgeir, “Sea Floor Geometry Approximation and Altitude Control of ROVs,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.29, pp. 135-145, 2014.
-  F. A. Azis, M.S.M. Aras, M.Z.A. Rashid, M.N. Othman, and S.S. Abdullah, “Problem Identification for Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV): A Case Study,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.41, pp. 554-560, 2012.
-  T. I. Fossen, “Handbook of Marine Craft Hydrodynamics and Motion Control,” John Wiley & Son, United Kingdom 2011.
-  G. N. Roberts and R. Sutton, “Advances in Unmanned Marine Vehicle,” Institution of Engineering and Technology, London, United Kingdom, 2006.
-  K. D. Le, H.D. Nguyen, and D. Ranmuthugala, “Development and Modelling of a Three-Thurster Remotely Operated Vehicle Using Open Source Hardware,” Int. Conf. on Mechatronic, 2013, Korea.
-  K.D. Le, H.D. Nguyen, and D. Ranmuthugala, “A Self-tuning Nonlinear PID Controller for a Three-Thruster Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicle,” Vietnam Conf. on Control and Automation, 2013, Vietnam.
-  W. M. Bessa, M. S. Dutra, and E. Kreuzer, “Depth control of remotely operated underwater vehicles using an adaptive fuzzy sliding mode controller,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.56, pp. 670-677, 2008.