Precision Cutting of Ceramics with Milling Tool of Single Crystalline Diamond
Hirofumi Suzuki*, Mutsumi Okada*, Koichi Okada**,
and Yosuke Ito**
*Chubu University, 1200 Matsumoto, Kasugai, Aichi 487-8501, Japan
**NS Tool Co. Ltd., 2-11 Matsuzakataira, Taiwa, Kurokawa, Miyagi 981-3408, Japan
Micro milling tools made of Single Crystalline Diamond (SCD) have been developed to machine micro dies and molds made of ceramics. The milling tools of a cylindrical SCD having many sharp cutting edges are fabricated 3-dimensionally by scanning a laser beam. Flat shape of binder-less tungsten carbide mold was cut with the developed milling tool to evaluate the tool wears and its life. Some micro aspheric molds of tungsten carbide were cut with the milling tool at a rotational speed of 50,000 min-1. The ceramic molds were cut in the ductile mode. By cutting with the milling tool, the form accuracy obtained was about 100 nm P–V and the surface roughness 8 nm Rz.
-  W. Chen, T. Kuriyagawa, H. Huang, and N. Yosihara, “Machining of micro aspherical mould inserts,” Precision Engineering, Vol.29, pp. 315-323, 2005.
-  H. Suzuki, S. Kodera, T. Nakasuji, T. Ohta, and K. Syoji, “Precision Grinding of Aspherical CVD-SiC Molding Die,” Int. J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 25-30, 1998.
-  H. Suzuki, M. Okada, Y. Yamagata, S. Morita, and T. Higuchi, “Precision grinding of structured ceramic molds by diamond wheel trued with alloy metal,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.61, pp. 283-286, 2012.
-  H. Suzuki, A. Muramatsu, Y. Ymamoto, T. Okino, and T. Moriwaki, “Precision molding of micro apherical glass lenses,” Proc. of 5th euspen Int. Conf., Montpellier, Vol.1, pp. 41-44, 2005.
-  E. Brinksmeier, O. Riemer, A. Gessenharter, and L. Autschbach, “Polishing of structured molds,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, pp. 247-250, 2004.
-  H. Suzuki, T. Moriwaki, T. Okino, and Y. Ando, “Development of ultrasonic vibration assisted polishing machine for micro aspheric die and mold,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, pp. 385-388, 2006.
-  H. Suzuki, S. Hamada, T. Okino, M. Kondo, Y. Yamagata, and T. Higuchi, “Ultraprecision finishing of micro-aspheric surface by ultrasonic two-axis vibration assisted polishing,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.59, pp. 347-350, 2010.
-  H. Hashimoto, J. Takeda, K. Imai, and K. Blaedel, “Shear-mode grinding of brittle materials and surface characteristics,” Int. J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.27, pp. 95-99, 1993.
-  T. Moriwaki and E. Shamoto, “Ultraprecision diamond cutting of hardened steel by applying elliptical vibration cutting,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.48, pp. 441-444, 1999.
-  H. Suzuki, T. Moriwaki, Y. Yamamoto, and Y. Goto, “Precision cutting of aspherical ceramic molds with micro PCD milling tool,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.56, pp. 131-134, 2007.
-  R. A. Jones, “Optimization of computer controlled polishing,” Applied Optics, Vol.16, pp. 218-224, 1977.
-  D. Walker, R. Freeman, R. Morton, G. McCavana, and A. Beaucamp, “Use of the processions process for prepolishing and correcting 2D and 2.5D form,” Optics Express, Vol.14, pp. 11787-11795, 2006.
-  D. A. Gregory and K. A. Herren, “Ion milling of sapphire,” J. of Electrochemical Society, Vol.152, pp. J117-J119, 2005.
-  T. Dai, X. Kang, and B. Zhang, “Study and formation of 2D microstructure of sapphire by focused ion beam milling,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.85, pp. 640-645, 2008.
-  D. Ashkenasi, A. Rosenfeld, H. Varel, M. Wähmer, and E. E. B. Campbell, “Laser processing of sapphire with picosecond and sub-picosecond pulses,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.120, pp. 65-80, 1997.
-  D. Dornfeld, S. Min, and Y. Takeuchi, “Recent advances in mechanical micromachining,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, pp. 745-768, 2006.
-  Y. Altintas and X. Jin, “Mechanics of micro-milling with round edge tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.60, pp. 77-80, 2011.
-  E. Uhlmann and K. Schauer, “Dynamic load and strain analysis for the optimization of micro end mills,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, pp. 75-78, 2005.
-  A. Attanasio, M. Gelfi, A. Pola, E. Ceretti, and C. Giardini, “Influence of material microstructures in micro milling of Ti6Al4V alloy,” Materials, Vol.6, pp. 4268-4283, 2013.
-  A. Shibata, N. Kaneko, S. Suzuki, K. Ogura, J. Shimizu, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Femtosecond-laserinduced nanofabrication on glass,” 15th Int. Conf. on Precision Engineering, pp. 194-197, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.