Solving Slug Pulling Problem Using High-Pressure Air Generated by a Compression Unit Installed Inside a Die Set
Nishinippon Institute of Technology, 1-11 Aratsu, Kanda-Cho, Fukuoka-Ken 800-0394, Japan
A press die has a reciprocating motion with the movement of the press machine. There is a very strong force between the upper and lower die. Utilizing the reciprocating motion, the author’s laboratory developed a high-pressure air compression unit, which can be fixed inside a die set. The generated powerful air can successfully blow slugs that occur in punching from the die. Moreover, it can be used as an independent power source to perform auxiliary motions, such as material sheet feeding or second working on the products, during the pressing process. This study describes the development of the air compression unit; the experiment carried out to test slug removal; and provides the related reference data to promote the further deployment and application of this technology.
-  T. Nakagawa and I. Aoki, “Slug Pulling in Metal Stamping and Its Prevention,” Japan Metal Stamping Association, 2001.
-  T. Viktor and B. Lubos, “Comparison of methods controlling slug pulling by using an indirect method in automotive industry,” ISSN:2277-7059, Int. J. of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.2, Issue 10, 2012,
on line: http://www.ijmejournal.com/ [accessed on September 30, 2014]
-  M. Elynuik, “Slug pulling preventing tooling die,” U.S. Patent, US7210384 B2, Jan. 1991.
-  J. C. W. Bakermans, J. F. Dubbs, and L. R. Holbrook, “Prevention of slug pulling in stamping presses,” U.S. Patent, US 5136907 A, May, 1991.
-  F. Gao, “Stamping Die with the mean of Slug Removal,” Japan Patent, No.5046048, Jul. 2012.
-  F. Gao, H. Shimada, Y. Wang, and S. Kanaya, “Development of A High Pressure Air Generation Unit Inside A Press Die And Its Confirmation Test For Slug Removal,” Die and Mould Technology, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 030-031, Jul. 2013.
-  T. Viktor and B. Lubos, “A Review of Methods and Precautions against Slug Pulling,” Int. J. of Pure and Applied Sciences and Technology, ISSN 2229-6107, pp. 7-15, Vol.12, Issue 1, 2012.
-  I. Aoki and M. Sasada, “Factors of causing slug pulling,” Press Working, pp. 23-35, Vol.48, No.10, 2010.
-  M. Ochiai, “Die for Prevetion of Slug Pulling and Slug Clogging in Matel Punching Process,” Japan Patent, Publication No.: P2012-110962A, Nov. 2011.
-  W. J. Cubides, “Controlling slug pulling with hole lapping,” Stamping J., January/February, 2008,
on line: http://www.thefabricator.com/publication/sj/issue/216 [accessed on September 30, 2014]
-  Shin-Nihon Tech.INC, “Divice for Prevetion of Slug Pulling in Press Punching,” Japan Patent, Publication No.: P2008-68317A, May 2007.
-  A. Hedrick, “Eliminating slug pulling during piercing operations,” Stamping J., May 2004,
on line: http://www.thefabricator.com/publication/sj/issue/104 [accessed on September 30, 2014]
-  H. Yoshida, “Practical Examples for Prevention of slug pulling,” Press Working, pp. 18-22, Vol.48, No.10, 2010.
-  MisumiWeb Order System, “Jector Straight Punchese, Code: SJC,” Catalog for Press Die, p. 229, V2014,
URL: http://jp.misumi-ec.com/ [accessed on September 30, 2014]
-  Y. Endou, K. Kishino, N. Hasegawa, and R. Suzuki, “Measuring of Friction Between Scrap and Inner Surface of Die,” Proc. of the 1999 Japanese Spring Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 375-376, 1999.
-  H. Shimada, “Development of A High-Presure Air Generationg Unit Used Inside A Press Die and Its Verification Test for Slug Pulling Prevention,” Thesis for Master Degree, Graduate School, Nishinippon Institute of Technology, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.