Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics to Examine Influence of Process Parameters on Ultrasonic Machining
Jingsi Wang, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani,
and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa
Department of Mechanical Systems and Design, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  A. N. Samant and N. B. Dahotre, “Laser machining of structural ceramics – A review,” J. of the European Ceramic Society, Vol.29, No.6, pp. 969-993, 2009.
-  “New Structural Materials Technologies: Opportunities for the Use of Advanced Ceramics and Composites – A Technical Memorandum,” U. S. Congress, 1986.
-  J. C. Brice, “Crystals for quartz resonators,” Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 105-146, 1985.
-  D. K. Baek, T. J. Ko, and S. H. Yang, “Enhancement of surface quality in ultrasonic machining of glass using a sacrificing coating,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.213, No.4, pp. 553-559, 2013.
-  R. K. Brow and M. L. Schmitt, “A survey of energy and environmental applications of glass,” J. of the European Ceramic Society, Vol.29, No.7, pp. 1193-1201, 2009.
-  T. B. Thoe, D. K. Aspinwall, and M. L. H. Wise, “Review on ultrasonic machining,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 239-255, 1998.
-  T. C. Lee and C. W. Chan, “Mechanism of the ultrasonic machining of ceramic composites,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.71, No.2, pp. 195-201, 1997.
-  Z. Yu, X. Hu, and K. P. Rajurkar, “Influence of debris accumulation on material removal and surface roughness in micro ultrasonic machining of silicon,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 201-204, 2006.
-  M. Komaraiah and P. Narasimha Reddy, “A study on the influence of workpiece properties in ultrasonic machining,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.33, No.3, pp. 495-505, 1993.
-  M. Feit and A. Campbell, “Influence of subsurface cracks on laser induced surface damage,” SPIE Proc., Vol.5273, Laser-Induced Damage in Optical Materials, pp. 264-272, 2003.
-  T. I. Suratwala, L. L.Wong, P. E. Miller, M. D. Feit, J. A. Menapace, R. A. Steele, P. A. Davis, and D. Walmer, “Sub-surface mechanical damage distributions during grinding of fused silica,” J. of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol.352, No.52-54, pp. 5601-5617, 2006.
-  J. Wang, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Material removal during ultrasonic machining using smoothed particle hydrodynamics,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 614-620, 2013.
-  D. J. Steinberg, “Equation of State and Strength Properties of Selected Materials,” Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, 1996.
-  D. A. Matuska, “Hull Users’ Manual,” Orlando Technology Inc., Shalimar, FL, 1984.
-  AUTODYN, “Theory Manual,” Century Dynamics Inc., 2005.
-  C. E. Anderson, G. R. Johnson, and T. J. Holmquist, “Ballistic experiments and computations of confined 99.5% Al2O3 ceramic tiles,” Proc. of the 15th Int. Symp. on Ballistics, Israel, 1995.
-  T. J. Holmquist, G. R. Johnson, C. M. Lopatin, D. E. Grady, and E. S. Hertel, “High strain rate properties and constitutive modeling of glass,” Proc. of the 15th Int. Symp. on Ballistics, Israel, 1995.
-  D. J. Steinberg, S. G. Cochran, and M. W. Guinan, “A constitutive model for metals applicable at high-strain rate,” J. of Applied Physics, Vol.51, No.3, pp. 1498-1504, 1980.
-  I. Inasaki, “Grinding of hard and brittle materials,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.36, No.2, pp. 463-471, 1987.
-  G. R. Johnson and W. H. Cook, “Fracture characteristics of three metals subjected to various strains, strain rates, temperatures and pressures,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 31-48, 1985.
-  C. Nath, G. C. Lim, and H. Y. Zheng, “Influence of the material removal mechanisms on hole integrity in ultrasonic machining of structural ceramics,” Ultrasonics, Vol.52, No.5, pp. 605-613, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.