Dynamic Thermoelastic Behavior in Sheet Glass Generated by Pulsed Laser Irradiation Using a One-Dimensional Model
Akira Chiba, Hirofumi Hidai, Souta Matsusaka,
and Noboru Morita
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
The dynamic thermoelastic behavior of a sheet glass subjected to single-pulse laser irradiation is clarified using a one-dimensional model. From the equation of motion for this system, a thermoelastic equation was derived and applied in the analysis. For a 0.1-µs pulse duration, the displacement and thermal stress caused by the thermal expansion within the slab show oscillatory wave characteristics. When thermal stress waves are reflected at the free ends of the sheet glass, the polarity of the stress changes. Alternating stress waves of approximately 0.5-MHz frequency appear in the slab. With cracks propagating in the glass as a result of stress, high-cycle fatigue is possible. We confirm that the dynamic behavior generated by single-pulsed laser irradiation features wavelike properties.
-  T. Okiyama, “Cleavage-cutting of brittle materials by laser heating (Special Issue on High-efficiency and High-accuracy Slicing Technology of Hard and Brittle Materials),” The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.60, No.2, pp. 196-199, 1994. (in Japanese)
-  T. Ueda, “Laser cleaving of brittle materials,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.110, No.106, pp. 859-861, 2007. (in Japanese)
-  K. Yamamoto, N. Hasaka, H. Morita, and E. Ohmura, “Thermal Stress Analysis on Laser Scribing of Glass,” The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.71, No.9, pp. 1157-1162, 2005. (in Japanese)
-  M. Tsuruki, T. Machida, K. Imoto, and A. Sawada, “Analytical study on crack initiation position in laser beam cleaving of ceramics,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series A, Vol.68, No.667, pp. 448-455, 2002. (in Japanese)
-  F. Motomura, Y. Imai, and A. Saimoto, “Influence of thickness in the thermal stress cleaving of sheet glasss,” Proc. of M&M2008 Solid Mechanics Conf. GS0605, Sep. 2008. (in Japanese)
-  J. Liu, J. Lu, X. Ni, G. Dai, and L. Zhang, “Thermal stress cleaving of silion wafer by pulsed Nd:YAG laser,” Chinese Optics Letters, Vol.8, No.8, pp. 1000-1003, 2010.
-  K. Yamada, K. Oiso, A. Hosokawa, and T. Ueda, “Studies on Cleaving Mechanism of Silicon Wafer with Pulsed YAG Laser,” The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.67, No.11, pp. 1861-1865, 2011.
-  K. Yamada, S. Nishioka, A. Hosokawa, and T. Ueda, “Cleaving Process of Brittle Materials with Pulsed YAG Laser,” The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.1, pp. 120-124, 2003.
-  K. Yahata, E. Ohmura, S. Shimizu, K. Yamamoto, and M. Murakami, “Thermal Stress Analysis in Laser Scribing of Glass with Pulsed Laser,” Proc. of the 8th the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, No.10-11, pp. 65-66, 2010.
-  T. Yamamoto, A. Hagiya L. Zhou, H. Ojima, and H. Eda, “Study on Cleavage-Cutting of Silicon Wafer with Ultra-Short Pulsed Laser,” Proc. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Ibaraki meeting, pp. 209-210, 2005.
-  T. Mizoguchi, A. Hagiya, T. Yamamoto, L. Zhou, J. Shimizu, and H. Eda, “Fundamental Study on Cleavage-Cutting of Silicon Wafer by Ultra-Short Pulsed Laser,” Proc. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Ibaraki meeting, pp. 67-68, 2007.
-  N. Sumi, “Propagation of Thermal and Thermal Stress Waves in Finite medium under Laser-Pulse Heating,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vo.64, No.97, pp. 2257-2262, 1998.
-  J. Montoya and A. Goncharov, “Finite element calculations of the time dependent thermal fluxes in the laser-heated diamond anvil cell,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.111, 112617, 2012.
-  X. Elmer and T. DebRoy, “Heat transfer and fluid in laser microwelding,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.97, 084909, 2005.
-  A. Helebrant, C. Buerhop, and R. Weibmann, “Mathematical modeling of temperature distribution during CO2 laser irradiation of glass,” Glass Technology, Vol.34, No.4, pp. 154-158, 1993.
-  T. Wee, Y. Lu, and W. Chim, “Numerical prediction of the etched profile in pyrolytic laser etching of Silicon and Gallium arsenide,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.36, pp. 5116-5124, 1997.
-  Y. Shanjani and E. Toyserkani, “Selective laser sintering of calcium polyphosphate: Finite element modeling and experiments,” J. of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 28-34, 2009.
-  E. Rainey, J. Hemlund, and A. Kavner, “Temperature distribution in the laser-heated diamond anvil cell from 3-D numerical modeling,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.114, 204905, 2013.
-  K. Yamamoto, N. Hasaka, H. Morita, and E. Ohmura, “Threedimensional thermal stress analysis on laser scribing of glass,” Precicion Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 301-308, 2008.
-  A. Chiba, S. Matsusaka, H. Hidai, and N. Morita, “Study of thermal stress begaviour of sheet glass during laser irradiation using one-dimensional elastic wave model,” J. of advanced Mechanical Design, System, and Manufacturing, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 1-11, 2014.
-  K. Mori, “Two-fliud simulations of shock wave propagation and shock-bubble interaction in collisionless plasma,” Phys. Plasmas, Vol.19, 032311, 2012.
-  S. Ko, S. Ryu, N. Misra, H. Pan, C. Grigoropoulos, N. Kladias, E. Panides, and G. Domoto, “Laser induced plane acoustic wave generation, propagation, and interaction with rigid structure in water,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.104, 073104, 2008.
-  S. Theppakuttai and S. Chen, “Nanoscale surface modification of glass using 1 1064 nm pulsed laser,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.83, No.4, 28, pp. 758-760, 2003.
-  K. Kim, J. Kim, D. Farson, H. Choi, and K. Kim, “Hybrid laser cutting for flat panel display glass,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.47, No.8, pp. 6978-6981, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.