Development of a Novel Linear Magnetic Actuator
Truong Quoc Thanh*, Dinh Quang Truong**,
Nguyen Minh Tri**, and Kyoung Kwan Ahn**
*Ho Chi Minh University of Technology, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
**School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ulsan, Ulsan, Republic of Korea
The aim of this paper is to design, fabricate and control a novel Linear Magnetic Actuator (LMA) for applications such as active magnetic bearing systems to deal with vibration problems in rotating machines. This LMA actuator contains a moving body named ‘mover’ and three driving parts to drive the mover. Firstly, experiments have been conducted on the LMA to derive its mathematical model in order to investigate the generated electro-magnetic force as well as further research. The modeling result in a comparison with the actual system performance show that the electro-magnetic force varied symmetrically with the mover motion defined by the applied current. Secondly, an advanced trajectory controller named online tuning fuzzy PID controller has been designed for the LMA to improve the working performance. Finally, real-time experiments have been carried out to evaluate the tracking performance of the designed LMA control system. The results prove that the LMA driven by the proposed controller could track the desired trajectories with high accuracy.
Nguyen Minh Tri, and Kyoung Kwan Ahn, “Development of a Novel Linear Magnetic Actuator,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.6, pp. 864-873, 2014.
-  D. Howe, “Magnetic actuator,” Sensor and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.81, No.1-3, pp. 268-274, 2000.
-  F. Braghin, S. Cinquemani, and F. Resta, “A model of magnetostrictive actuators for active vibration control,” Sensor and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.165, No.2, pp. 342-350, 2011.
-  S. Karunanidhia and M. Singaperumal, “Design, analysis and simulation of magnetostrictive actuator and its application to high dynamic servo valve,” Sensor and Actuators A: Physical, Vo.157, No.2, pp. 185-197, 2010.
-  W.M. Arshad, P. Thelin, T. Backstrom, and C. Sadarangani, “Use of Transverse-Flux Machines in a Free-Piston Generator,” IEEE Trans. On Industry Applications, Vol.40, No.4, pp. 1092-1100, 2004.
-  I. Boldea and S. A. Nasar, “Linear Electric Actuator And Generators,” IEEE Trans. On Energy Conversion, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 712-717, 1999.
-  J. Wang, W. Wang, G. W. Jewell, and D. Howe, “A Low-Power – Linear – Permanent Magnetic Generator/ Energy Storage System,” IEEE Trans. On Industrial Electronics, Vol.49, No.3, pp. 640-648, 2002.
-  M. Demierre, S. Pesenti, J. Frounchi, P. A. Besse, and R. S. Popovic, “Reference magnetic actuator for self-calibration of a very small Hall sensor array,” Sensor and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.97-98, No.1, pp. 39-46, 2002.
-  J. Wang, D. Howe, and G. W. Jewell, “Analysis and Design Optimization of an Improved Axially Magnetized Tubular Permanent-Magnetic Machine,” IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 289-295, 2004.
-  A. Kruusing, “Actuator with permanent magnets having variable in space orientation of magnetization,” Sensor and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.101, No.1-2, pp. 168-174, 2002.
-  N. C. Tsai and C.W. Chiang, “Design and analysis of magneticallydrive actuator applied for linear compressor,” Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 596-603, 2010.
-  O. Danielsson, K. Thorburn, L. Eriksson, and M. Leijon, “Permanent magnet fixation concepts for linear generator,” Proc. 5th European Wave Energy Conf., Ireland, pp. 17-19, 2003.
-  H. Kube, V. Zoepping, R. Hermann, and E. Kallenbach, “Electromagnetic miniactuators using thin magnetic layers,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol.9, pp. 336-341, 2000.
-  H. G. Lukefahr, “Magnetic dipole interactions on an air track,” American J. of Physics, Vol.60, No.12, pp. 1134-1136, 1992.
-  R. Castaner, J. M. Medina, and M. J. Cuesta-Bolao, “The magnetic dipole interaction as measured by spring dynamometers,” American J. of Physics, Vol.74, No.6, pp. 510-513, 2006.
-  S. Defrancesco and V. Zaneth, “Experiments on magnetic repulsion,” American J. of Physics, Vol.51, No.11, pp. 1023-1025, 1983.
-  A. Romer, “Magnetic Repulsion: An Introductory Experiment,” American J. of Physics, Vol.41, No.12, pp. 1332-1336, 1973.
-  M. Y. Chen, H. W. Tzeng, and S. K. Hung, “A new mechanism design of electro-magnetic actuator for a micro-positioner,” ISA Trans., Vol.46, No.1, pp. 41-48, 2007.
-  D. Li and H. M. Gutierrez, “Quasi-Sliding Mode Control of a High-Precision Hybrid Magnetic Suspension Actuator,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 192-200, 2013.
-  R. Fujiwara, T. Shinshi, and M. Uehara, “Positioning Characteristics of a MEMS Linear Motor Utilizing a Thin Film Permanent Magnet and DLC Coating,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 148-155, 2013.
-  D. H. Kim and J. H. Cho, “Robust Tuning of PID Controller Using Bacterial-Foraging-Based Optimization,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 669-676, 2005.
-  S. Wakitani, T. Nawachi, G. R. Martins, and T. Yamamoto, “Design and Implementation of a Data-Oriented Nonlinear PID Controller,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.17, No.5, pp. 690-698, 2013.
-  D. Q. Truong and K. K. Ahn, “Nonlinear black-box models and force-sensorless damping control for damping systems using magneto-rheological fluid dampers,” Sensor and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.167, No.2, pp. 556-573, 2011.
-  K. K. Ahn and N. B. Kha, “Position Control of Shape Memory Alloy Actuators Using Self-tuning Fuzzy PID Controller,” Int. J. of Control Automation and Systems, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 756-762, 2006.
-  K. K. Ahn, D. Q. Truong, and Y. H. Soo, “Self tuning fuzzy PID control for hydraulic load simulator,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS ’07), Korea, pp. 345-349, 2007.
-  D. Q. Truong and K. K. Ahn, “Parallel control for electro-hydraulic load simulator using online self tuning fuzzy PID technique,” Asian J. of Control, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 522-541, 2011.
-  A. Hajiloo and W.-F. Xie, “Multi-Objective Optimal Fuzzy Fractional-Order PID Controller Design,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 262-270, 2014.
-  C. H. Wang and D. Y. Huang, “A New Intelligent Fuzzy Controller for Nonlinear Hysteretic Electronic Throttle in Modern Intelligent Automobiles,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol.60, No.6, pp. 2332-2345, 2013.
-  S. K. Jain and S. N. Singh, “Low-Order Dominant Harmonics Estimation using Adaptive Wavelet Neural Network,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 428-435, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.