Sensorless Tool Stiffness Monitoring in Buffing
Ryo Koike*, Ryo Kumakura*, Takashi Arai**,
Eishiro Uchishiba**, Makoto Murakami**, Takahisa Sagara**,
and Yasuhiro Kakinuma*
*Department of System Design Engineering, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
**Yokohama Plant, Nikon Corporation, 471 Nagaodai-cho, Sakae-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 244-8533, Japan
In current practice, the buffing process required to finish the surface of mechanical parts is performed manually by a technical expert as it requires a delicate adjustment of the buffing force. The automation of this process is desirable in an effort to shorten the process time and reduce labor cost. To automate the buffing process, a beneficial process monitoring technique that supervises the buffing tool conditions in real time must be developed. From a practical perspective, an observer technique that does not require additional sensors would be most suitable for monitoring the tool operating condition. The authors propose a technique that estimates the buffing tool stiffness based on a disturbance observer. The validity of the proposed method as a buffing tool condition monitoring technique is verified through numerical simulations and experiments.
Eishiro Uchishiba, Makoto Murakami, Takahisa Sagara, and
and Yasuhiro Kakinuma, “Sensorless Tool Stiffness Monitoring in Buffing,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.6, pp. 827-836, 2014.
-  A. Matsubara and S. Ibaraki, “Monitoring and control forces in machining processes: A review,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 445-456, 2009.
-  R. Teti, K. Jemielniak, G. O’Donnell, and D. Dornfeld, “Advanced monitoring of machining operations,” CIRP Annals, Vol.59, Issue 2, pp. 717-739, 2010.
-  M. Okada, H. Kozuka, H. Tachiya, T. Iwasaki, and Y. Yamashita, “Burnishing process using spherical 5-DOF hybrid-type parallel mechanism with force control,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 243-252, 2014.
-  X. Pessoles and C. Tournier, “Automatic polishing process of plastic injection molds on a 5-axis milling center,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.209, pp. 3665-3673, 2009.
-  F. Nagata, S. Tani, T. Mizobuchi, T. Hase, Z. Haga, M. Omoto, K. Watanabe, and M. K. Habib, “Basic performance of a desktop NC machine tool with compliant motion capability,” Proc. of 2008 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 83-88, 2008.
-  J. Guo, H. Suzuki, S. Morita, Y. Yamagata, and T. Higuchi, “A realtime polishing force control system for ultraprecision finishing of micro-optics,” Precision Engineering, Vol.37, pp. 787-792, 2013.
-  R. Heinemann and S. Hinduja, “A new strategy for tool condition monitoring of small diameter twist drills in deep-hole drilling,” Int. J. of Machinge Tools and Manufacture, Vol.52, pp. 69-76, 2012.
-  B. Denkena and F. Flöter, “Adaptive cutting force control with a hybrid axis system,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 378-383, 2013.
-  F. Nagata, T. Hase, Z. Haga, M. Omoto, and K. Watanabe, “CAD/CAM-based position/force control for a ball-end abrasive tool and its application to an industial robot,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 742-752, 2008.
-  F. Nagata, T. Hase, Z. Haga, M. Omoto, and K. Watanabe, “CAD/CAM-based position/force controller for a mold polishing robot,” Mechatronics, Vol.17, pp. 207-216, 2007.
-  M. Takei, D. Kurihara, S. Katusra, and Y. Kakinuma, “Hybrid control for machine tool table applying sensorless cutting force monitoring,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 587-593, 2011.
-  D. Kurihara, Y. Kakinuma, and S. Katsura, “Sensorless cutting force monitroing using parallel disturbance observer,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 415-421, 2009.
-  Y. Kakinuma, K. Igarashi, S. Katusra, and T. Aoyama, “Development of 5-axis polishing machine capable of simultaneous trajectory, posture, and force control,” CIRP Annals, Vol.62, Issue 1, pp. 379-382, 2013.
-  K. Igarashi, M. Sato, and Y. Kakinuma, “Buffing performance analysis of viscoelastic polymer with sensorless polishing pressure control,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.325, pp. 482-488, 2011.
-  L. S. Aiken and S. G. West, “Multiple Regression Teting and Interpreting Interactions,” Newbury Park, Sage Publications, 1991.
-  K. Ohnishi, “Disturbance Observeration – Cancellation Techinique,” IEEE the Industrial Electronics Handbook #33, pp. 524-528, 1997.
-  K. Ohnishi, M. Shibata, and T. Murakami, “Motion control for advanced mechatronics,” IEEE/ASME Trans. onMechatronics, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 56-67, 1996.
-  T. Murakami, F. Yu, and K. Ohnishi, “Torque sensorless control in multidegree-of-freedom manipulator,” IEEE Trans. on industrial mechatronics, Vol.40, No.2, pp. 259-265, 1993.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.