Analyzing the Sustainability of Bimetallic Components
A. M. M. Sharif Ullah, Akiyoshi Fuji, Akihiko Kubo,
and Jun’ichi Tamaki
Kitami Institute of Technology, 165 Koen-cho, Kitami, Hokkaido 090-8507, Japan
-  Kugler Bimetal, URL,
http://www.bimetal.ch/en/welcome/ [accessed on 12 August, 2014].
-  Interface welding, URL,
http://www.interfacewelding.com [accessed on June 12, 2014].
-  Manufacturing Technology, Inc., URL,
http://www.mtiwelding.com/ [accessed on June 12, 2014].
-  J. R. Stephenson, A. M. Moulin, M. E. Welland, “Bimaterials thermometers,” J. G. Webster, (Ed.), The measurement, instrumentation, and sensors handbook, CRC Press, New York, Chapter 32.1., 1998.
-  L. R. O’Hare, “Bimetallic solar engine,” USA Patents, US4551978 A, 1985.
-  P. Eslami, A. K. Taheri, and M. Zebardast, “A Comparison Between Cold-Welded and Diffusion-Bonded Al/Cu Bimetallic Rods Produced by ECAE Process,” J. of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol.22, Issue 10, pp. 3014-3023, 2013.
-  S. Dawson, “Compacted Graphite Iron – A Material Solution for Modern Engine Design,” SAE Technical Paper, 2011-01-1083, 2011.
-  A. Malakizadi, I. Sadik, and L. Nyborg, “Wear Mechanism of CBN Inserts during Machining of Bimetal Aluminum-Grey Cast Iron Engine Block,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.8, pp. 188-193, 2013.
-  A. K. Motarjemi, M. Koçak, and V. Ventzke, “Mechanical and fracture characterization of a bi-material steel plate,” Int. J. of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol.79, Issue 3, pp. 181-191, 2002.
-  J. Laermans and J. Banker, “Large Titanium Clad Pressure Vessels: Design, Manufacture, and Fabrication Issues,” Proc. of the Corrosion Applications Conference, Paper 22, pp. 157-165, 2003.
-  T. G. Gutowski, M. S. Branham, J. B. Dahmus, A. J. Jones, and A. Thiriez, “Thermodynamic Analysis of Resources Used in Manufacturing Processes,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol.43, No.5, pp. 1584-1590, 4, 2009.
-  S. Ogawa, S. Okumura, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and Y. Onchi, “Investigation of Eco-friendly Fixed-Abrasive Polishing with Compact Robot,” Advanced Materials Research, Vols.126-128, No.415, pp. 415-420, 2010.
-  H. Hibino, T. Sakuma, and M. Yamaguchi, “Evaluation System for Energy Consumption and Productivity in Manufacturing System Simulation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 279-288, 2012.
-  M. Matsuda and F. Kimura, “Configuration of the Digital Eco-Factory for Green Production,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 289-295, 2012.
-  I. Inasaki, “Towards symbiotic machining processes,” Int. J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.13, Issue 7, pp. 1053-1057, 2012.
-  N. Nakamura, K. Mandai, S. Fukushige, and Y. Umeda, “Proposal of a Methodology for Supporting Eco-Business Planning,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 264-271, 2012.
-  R. L. Milford, S. Pauliuk, J. M. Allwood, and D. B. Muller, “The Roles of Energy and Material Efficiency in Meeting Steel Industry CO2 Targets,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol.47, No.5, pp. 3455-3462, 2013.
-  J. M. Allwood, J. M. Cullen, R. L. Milford, “Options for achieving a 50% cut in industrial carbon emissions by 2050,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol.44, No.6, pp. 1888-1894, 2010.
-  J. M. Allwood, M. F. Ashby, T. G. Gutowski, and E. Worrell, “Material efficiency: A white paper,” Resources Conservation and Recycling, Vol.55, Issue 3, pp. 362-381, 2011.
-  R. Ng, Z. Yeo, C. Wai, P. Shi, F. Rugrungruang, and B. Song, “An Algorithmic Approach to Streamlining Product Carbon Footprint Quantification: A Case Study on Sheet Metal Parts,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 312-321, 2012.
-  S. Kondoh, N. Mishima, Y. Hotta, K. Watari, T. Kurita, and K. Masui, “Total Performance Analysis of Manufacturing Processes,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 56-62, 2009.
-  H. Narita and H. Fujimoto, “Analysis of Environmental Impact due to Machine Tool Operation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 49-55, 2009.
-  A. M. M. S. Ullah, K. Kitajima, T. Akamatsu, M. Furuno, J. Tamaki, and A. Kubo, “On Some Eco-indicators of Cutting Tools,” Proc. of the ASME 2011 Int. Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conf. (MSEC2011), Oregon, USA, pp. 105-110, doi: 10.1115/MSEC2011-50071, 2011.
-  M. M. Rashid, A. M. M. S. Ullah, J. Tamaki, and A. Kubo, “Evaluation of Hard Materials using Eco-Attributes,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.325, pp. 693-698, 2011.
-  A. M. M. S. Ullah, H. Hashimoto, F. Hayashi, R. Omori, Y. Nagara, A. Kubo, and J. Tamaki, “Comparison between wooden and conventional prototyping: An eco-manufacturing perspective,” In: Design for Innovative Value Towards a Sustainable Society, M. Matsumoto, Y. Umeda, K. Masui, and S. Fukushige, (Eds.), pp. 877-881, 2012.
-  A. M. M. S. Ullah, H. Hashimoto, A. Kubo, and J. Tamaki, “Sustainability analysis of rapid prototyping: material/resource and process perspectives,” Int. J. of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 20-36, 2013.
-  Y. Nagara, , A. M. M. S. Ullah, A. Fuji, J. Tamaki, and A. Kubo, “Surface finish characteristics of bimetallic parts,” The Proc. of ICMDT2013, 22-25 May 2013, Busan, South Korea, pp. 93-94.
-  A. Fuji, H. Kokawa, and Y.-C. Kim, “A Study of Stress-strain, Acoustic Wavevelocity and Hardness Across Joint Interface of Pure Ti/Pure Al Friction Weld Joint,” Quarterly J. of the Japan Welding Society, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 617-627, 2000. (in Japanese)
-  Y.-C. Kim and A. Fuji, “Factors dominating joint characteristics in Ti-Al friction welding,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, Vol.7, Issue 3, pp. 149-154, 2002.
-  S. D. Meshram, T. Mohandas, and G. R. Madhusudhan, “Friction welding of dissimilar pure metals,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.184, Issues 1-3, pp. 330-337, 2007.
-  A. Ambroziak, M. Winnicki, P. Laska, M. Lachowicz, M. Zwierzchowski, and J. Leśniewski, “Examination of Friction Coefficient in Friction Welding Process of Tubular Steel Elements,” Archives of Metallurgy and Materials, Vol.56, Issue 4, pp. 975-980, 2001.
-  CES Selector, Version 5.1.0, Granta Design Limited, UK.
-  ISO 25178 2, 2012, “Geometrical product specifications (GPS) – Surface texture: Areal – Part 2: Terms, definitions and surface texture parameters,” International Organization for Standardization.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.