An Actual Purchasing Experiment for Investigating the Effects of Eco-Information on Consumers’ Environmental Consciousness and Attitudes Towards Agricultural Products
Keiko Aoki*1, Kenju Akai*2, Kiyokazu Ujiie*3,
Takeshi Shinmura*4, and Nariaki Nishino*2
*1Department of Research Promotion, Yokohama National University, 79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-8501, Japan
*2Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
*3Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-8572, Japan
*4Ganko Food Service Co. Ltd., 8F, Meiji-Yasuda-Seimei Building, 2-13 Shinkitano 1-Chome, Yodogawa-ku, Osaka 532-0025, Japan
This study investigates the effects of eco-information on the environmental consciousness and attitudes of consumers towards agricultural products. We focus on Japanese rice to provide recommendations to protect the Ibis, an endangered bird in Japan, and evaluate how Ecologically Conscious Consumer Behavior (ECCB) affect consumers’ Willingness To Pay (WTP) via the choice experiment method. Participants are provided with the necessary eco-information pertaining to rice production, and are required to taste and purchase the rice. The results indicate that consumers with high ECCB display higher WTP after they are provided with the necessary eco-information pertaining to rice production.
Takeshi Shinmura, and Nariaki Nishino, “An Actual Purchasing Experiment for Investigating the Effects of Eco-Information on Consumers’ Environmental Consciousness and Attitudes Towards Agricultural Products,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 688-697, 2014.
-  S. Ishii, M. Wada, S. Wakabayashi, H. Sakai, Y. Kubodera, N. Yamaguchi, and M. Kikuchi, “Endocrinological studies for artificial breeding of the Japanese ibis, Nipponia nippon, an endangered avian species in Asia,” J. Biosci., Vol.19, pp. 491-502, 1994.
-  J. C. Wingfield, S. Ishi, M. Kikuchi, S. Wakabayashi, H. Sakai, N. Yamaguchi, M. Wada, and K. Chikatsu, “Biology of a critically endangered species, the Toki (Japanese Crested Ibis) Nipponia nippon,” Ibis, 142, pp. 1-11, 2000.
-  Louviere. Jordan. J., David A. Hensher, and Joffre. D. Swait., “Stated Choice Methods: Analysis and Application,” Cambridge University Press, 2000.
-  F. Carlsson and P. Martinsson, “Do Hypothetical and Actual Marginal Willingness to Pay Differ in Choice Experiments? Application to the Valuation of the Environment,” J. Environ. Econ. Manage., Vol.41, pp. 179-192, 2001.
-  K. Aoki, J. Shen, and T. Saijo, “Consumer Reaction to Information on Food Additives: Evidence from An Eating Experiment and a Field Survey,” J. Econ. Behav. Organ., Vol.73, pp. 433-438, 2010.
-  K. Aoki and K. Akai, “Does the Carbon Footprint Enhance the Sustainability Food Production and Transportation Service System? Real Buying Experiment in Japan,” Advances in Production Management Systems. Sustainable Production and Service Supply Chains, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 415, pp. 18-25. 2013.
-  J. Roberts, “Green consumers in the 1990s: Profile and implications for advertising,” J. of Business Research, Vol.36, Issue 3, pp. 217-231, 1996.
-  K. Masui, “Current Status of Environmentally Conscious Design Among Japanese Manufacturers,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 19-25, 2009.
-  M. Matsuda and F. Kimura, “Configuration of the Digital Eco-Factory for Green Production,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 289-295, 2012.
-  H. Goto, M. Goto, and T. Sueyoshi, “Consumer choice on ecologically efficient water heaters: Marketing strategy and policy implications in Japan,” Energy Econ., Vol.33, pp. 195-208, 2011.
-  N. Nakamura, K. Mandai, S. Fukushige, and Y. Umeda, “Proposal of a Methodology for Supporting Eco-Business Planning,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 264-271, 2012.
-  G. Ewing and E. Sarigöllü, “Assessing Consumer Preferences For Clean-Fuel Vehicles:A Discrete Choice Experiment,” J. of Public Policy and Marketing, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 106-118, 2000.
-  F. Carlsson, P. Frykblom, and C.-J. Lagerkvist, “Using cheap-talk as a test of validity of choice experiments,” Economics Letters, Vol.89, Issue 5, pp. 147-152, 2005.
-  V. L. Smith, “Experimental Economics: Induced Value Theory,” The American Econ. Review, Vol.66, Issue 2, pp. 274-279, 1976.
-  N. Nishino, S. H. Oda, and K. Ueda, “Bounded Rationality on Consumer Purchase Decisions and Product Diffusion Under Network Externalities: A Study Using Agent-Based Simulation and Experiments with Human Subjects,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 212-219, 2011.
-  D. Friedman and S. Sunder, “Experimental Methods: A Primer for Economists,” Cambridge University Press, 1994.
-  Y. Matsuno, K. Nakamura, T. Masumoto, H. Matsui, T. Kato, and Y. Sato, “Prospects for multifunctionality of paddy rice cultivation in Japan and other countries in monsoon Asia,” Paddy Water Environ, 4, pp. 189-197, 2006.
-  S. M. McClure, J. Li, D. Tomlin, K. S. Cypert, L. M. Montague, and P. R. Montague, “Neural Correlates of Behavioral Preference for Culturally Familiar Drinks,” Neuron, Vol.44, pp. 379-387, 2004.
-  J. A. Robens and D. R. Bacon, “Exploring the Subtle Relationships between Environmental Concern and Ecologically Conscious Consumer Behavior,” J. of Business Research, Vol.40, pp. 79-89, 1997.
-  R. J. Johnston, C. R.Wessells, H. Donath, and F. Asche, “Measuring Consumer Preferences for Ecolabeled Seafood: An International Comparison,” J. of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 20-39.
-  K. Train, “Recreation demand models with taste differences over people,” Land Economics, Vol.74, No.2, pp. 230-239, 1998.
-  K. Train, “Discrete choice methods with simulation,” Cambridge university press, 2003.
-  D. Revelt and K. Train, “Mixed logit with repeated choices: Households’ choices of appliance efficiency level,” Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol.80, Issue 4, pp. 647-657, 1998.
-  W. Greene, “Econometric Analysis,” Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.