In the Loop – Sustainable, Circular Product Design and Critical Materials
Katherine Whalen and David Peck
Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology, Landbergstraat 15, 2628 CE Delft, the Netherlands
-  I. Moerland-Masic, “Critical Materials in the Netherlands – response from the technological industry,” Delft University of Technology, Delft, 2012.
-  M. Pellegrini (W.G. chair), “Report on Critical Raw Materials for the EU, Report of the Ad hoc Working Group on defining critical raw materials,” European Commission, DG Enterprise and Industry, May 2014.
-  A. Greenfield and T. E. Graedel, “The omnivorous diet of modern technology,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol.74, pp. 1-7.
-  J. E. Tilton, “Depletion and the long-run Availability of Mineral Commodities,” Report published by IIED forWBCSD,Washington D.C., p. vi (preface), 2011.
-  S. Duclos, “GE Global Research Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight of the House Committee on Science and Technology,” USA, Feb. 10, 2010.
-  J. Grantham, “Living on a finite planet (where no-one likes to hear bad news), published in The Future in Practice: The State of Sustainability Leadership 2012,” University of Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership, University of Cambridge, 2012.
-  M. Vroom, “Critical materials from a wind turbine industry perspective,” Sustainable Energy Technology, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Delft University of Technology, Delft, p. 11, 2012.
-  R. Dobbs et al., “Resource revolution : meeting the world’s energy materials food and water needs,” McKinsey Global Institute, 2011.
-  B. Lee et al., “Resources Futures,” Chatham House (The Royal Institute of International Affairs), p. 59, 2012.
-  J. Kooroshy, “Rare Earths After the Hype: Current Situation and Key Trends,” presentation to 1st Working Group Meetings of the European Rare Earths Competency Network (ERECON), Research Fellow – Energy, Environment and Resources Chatham House, Royal institute of Int. Affairs, Brussels, Oct. 23, 2013.
-  M. Catinat et al., “Critical Raw Materials for the EU – Report of the ad-hoc working group on defining critical raw materials,” Brussels, Belgium, EU, p. 43, 2010.
-  CRM InnoNet, “Poster highlighting the progress of CRM InnoNet over the last year,” Apr. 2014,
http://www.criticalrawmaterials.eu/documents/ [accessed on July 2014].
-  K. Shiojiri, “Towards New Model on Efficient Management of Critical Materials,” Opening remarks at the Third Trilateral EU-USJapan Conference on Critical Materials, Brussels, Belgium, May 2013.
-  C. Candelise, M. Winskel, and R. Gross, “Implications for CdTe and CIGS technologies production costs of indium and tellurium scarcity,” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, Vol.20, Issue 6, pp. 816-831, 2012.
-  C. Evans et al., “A sustainable materials management case study: critical metals and mobile devices,” 2011, http://www.oecd.org/env/waste/ [accessed on Jul. 2013]
-  B. K. Meyer and P. J. Klar, “Sustainability and renewable energies – a critical look at photovoltaics,” Phys. Status Solidi RRL, Vol.5, Issue 9, pp. 318-323, 2011.
-  F. Melcher and H.Wilken, “Die Verfügbarkeit von Hochtechnologie – Rohstoffen,” Chemie in unserer Zeit, Vol.47, Issue 1, pp. 32-49, 2013.
-  B. Buijs, H.Sievers and L. A. T. Espinoza, “Limits to the critical raw materials approach,” Proc. of the ICE-Waste and Resource Management, Vol.165, Issue 4, pp. 201-208, 2012.
-  S.Massari and M. Ruberti, “Rare earth elements as critical raw materials: Focus on international markets and future strategies,” Resources Policy, Vol.38, Issue 1, pp. 36-43, 2013.
-  T. E. Graedel et al., “On the materials basis of modern society,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 2013.
-  M. Buchert, D. Schüler, and D. Bleher, “Critical metals for future sustainable technologies and their recycling potential,” UNEP, Freiburg, Öko-Institut, 2009.
-  Y. Nomaguchi et al., “Study on Knowledge-Based Product Design Framework for Facilitating the Interaction of Model Based Development and Prototyping,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.3, 2014.
-  M. Fargnoli, “Design Process Optimization for EcoDesign,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 33-39, 2009.
-  E. Kunii et al., “Proposal of Consistency Management Method Between Product and its Life Cycle for Supporting Life Cycle Design,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 272-278, 2012.
-  H. Wouters and D. Bol, “Materials Scarcity,” Stichting Materials Innovation Institute (M2i), The Netherlands, 2009.
-  A. Diederen, “Global Resource Depletion – Managed Austerity and The Elements of Hope,” Eurborn Academic Publishers, Delft, 2010.
-  L. Erdmann and T. E. Graedel, “Criticality of Non-Fuel Minerals: A Review of Major Approaches and Analyses,” American Chemical Society publications, Environ. Sci. Technol., Vol.45, pp. 7620-7630, 2011.
-  R. G. Eggert et al., “Minerals, Critical Minerals, and the U.S. Economy,” National Research Council, USA, National Academy of Sciences, Washington D.C., 2008.
-  A. Kohler, C. Bakker, and D. Peck, “Critical materials: a reason for sustainable education of industrial designers and engineers,” European J. of Engineering Education, Vol.38, Issue 4, pp. 441-451, 2013.
-  H. Schoolderman and R. Mathlener, “Minerals and metals scarcity in manufacturing: the ticking timebomb,” Sustainable Materials Management, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, The Netherlands, 2011.
-  D. Bol and T. Bastein. “Kritische materialen en de Nederlandse technologische industrie,” Stichting Materials Innovation Institute (M2i) and TNO, The Netherlands, 2012.
-  K. Dewulf, “Play it forward, A game-based tool for Sustainable Product and Business Model Innovation in the Fuzzy Front End,” Paper presented at the Knowledge Collaboration & Learning for Sustainable Innovation, ERSCP-EMSU conf., Delft, 2010.
-  B. Dusch, N. Crilly, and J. Moultrie, “Developing a Framework for Mapping Sustainable Design Activities,” Design and Complexity, Proc. of Design Research Society Int. Conf., Montreal, 2010.
-  C. C. Abt, “Serious games,” University Press of America, 1987.
-  B. H. Sorensen and B. Meyer, “Serious games in language learning and teaching-a theoretical perspective,” Proc. of the 2007 Digital Games research Association Conf., pp. 559-566, 2007.
-  V. Lofthouse, “Ecodesign tools for designers: defining the requirements,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.14, Issues 15-16, pp. 1386-1395, 2006.
-  A. van Boeijen et al., “Delft design guide: Design strategies and methods,” Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology, 2013.
-  B. J. Fogg, “Creating Persuasive Technologies: An Eight-Step Design Process,” Paper presented at the 4th Int. Conf. on Persuasive Technology, New York, 2009.
-  T. Fullerton, C. Swain, and S. Hoffman, “Game Design Workshop: Designing, Proto-typing, and Playtesting Games,” CMP Books, Berkeley, 2004.
-  T. Olsen, K. Procci, and C. Bowers, “Serious games usability testing: How to ensure proper usability, playability, and effectiveness,” In Design, User Experience, and Usability. Theory, Methods, Tools and Practice, Proc. of the First Int. Conf., DUXU 2011, held as Part of HCI Int., pp. 625-634, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.