Simulating the Formation of Urban Mines Considering the Rational Decisions of Distributed End-of-Life Stakeholders
Hitoshi Komoto, Shinsuke Kondoh, and Keijiro Masui
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), 1-2-1 Naimiki, Tsukuba 305-8564, Japan
-  P. Chancerel, C. E. M. Meskers, C. Hagelueken, and V. S. Rotter, “Assessment of Precious Metal Flows During Preprocessing of Waste Electrical and Electric Equipment,” J. of industrial ecology, Vol.13, No.5, pp. 791-810, 2009.
-  K. Binnemans, P. T. Jones, B. Blanpain, T. V. Gerven, Y. Yang, A. Walton, and M. Buchert, “Recycling of rare earths: a critical review,” J. of cleaner production, Vol.51, pp. 1-22, 2013.
-  Y. Kishita, E. Kunii, S. Fukushige, Y. Umeda, and J. Fujimoto, “Scenario Analysis of Global Resource Circulation with Traceability Index Targeting Sustainable Manufacturing,” Int. J. of A. Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 3-10, 2009.
-  M. Nanjo, “Urban mine, new resources for the year 2000 and beyond. Bulletin of the research institute of mineral dressing and metallurgy,” Tohoku University, Vol.43, No.2, pp. 239-251, 1988.
-  Ministry of the Environment, “Home Appliance Recycling Law,” Apr. 2001.
-  Ministry of the Environment, “Act on Promotion of Recycling of Small Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment,” Apr. 2013.
-  T. Nakamura, “Recycling of Small Domestic Appliances, Haikibusu shigen gakkaishi,” Vol.20, No.2, pp. 70-76, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  WEEE-Directive, “EU Directive 2002/96/EC, Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment,” 2003.
-  WEEE-Directive, “EU Directive 2012/19/EU, Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (recast),” 2012.
-  E. Yamasue, R. Minamino, I. Daigo, H. Okumura, and K. N. Ishihara, “Evaluation of total materials requirement for the recycling of materials (urban ore TMR) from end-of-life electric home appliances,” J. Japan Inst. Metals, Vol.74, No.12, pp. 811-819, 2010. (in Japanese)
-  R. Minamino, E. Yamasue, K. Nakajima, S. Murakami, H. Okumura, and K. N. Ishihara, “Evaluation of total materials requirement for the recycling of metallic materials and mixed-plastics (urban ore TMR) from laptop PC and mobile phone,” J. of Life Cycle Assessment, Japan, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 251-258, 2010. (in Japanese)
-  F. Wang, J. Huisman, A. Stevels, and C. P. Balde, “Enhancing ewaste estimates: Improving data quality by multivariate,” Waste Management, Vol.33, pp. 2397-2407, 2013.
-  S. V. Passel, M. Doubois, J. Eyckmans, S. D. Gheldere, F. Ang, P. T. Jones, and K. V. Acker, “The economics of enhanced landfill mining: private and societal performance drivers,” J. of cleaner production, Vol.55, pp. 92-102, 2013.
-  M. Rabe and M. Deininger, “State of Art and Research Demands for Simulation Modelling of Green Supply Chains,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 296-303, 2012.
-  M. Johansen, Y. Umeda, and T. Tomiyama, “Life cycle simulation for verifying sustainable model of products,” L. M. Camarinha-Motos, (Ed.), Re-Engineering for Sustainable Industrial Production, Chapman & Hall, pp. 247-258, 1997.
-  Y. Umeda, A. Nonomura, and T. Tomiyama, “A Study on Life-Cycle Design for the Post Mass Production Paradigm,” Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, Cambridge University Press, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 149-161, 2000.
-  H. Komoto and T. Tomiyama, “Design of Competitive Maintenance Service for Durable and Capital Goods Using Life Cycle Simulation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 63-70, 2009.
-  T. Kumazawa and H. Kobayashi, “A simulation system to support the establishment of circulated business,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 127-136, 2006.
-  S. Takata and T. Sakai, “Modelling Product Returns Taking Sales Modes into Account,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 71-76, 2009.
-  H. Komoto, S. Kondo, and K. Masui, “Life cycle modeling and simulation of consumer products in context of the development of urban mines,” Proc. of EcoDesign 2013: 8th Int. Symp. on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing, December 4-6, 2013, Jeju, Korea, 2013.
-  Google, 2013, Google Geocoding API,
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/ [accessed on January 9, 2014].
-  Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (2013), “e-Stat: Portal Site of Official Statistics of Japan,”
http://www.e-stat.go.jp [accessed on September 20, 2013].
-  Ministry of Finance (2013), “Trade Statistics of Japan,”
http://www.customs.go.jp/toukei/ [accessed on September 20, 2013].
-  Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (2013), “Domestic Shipments of Major Consumer Electronic Equipment,”
http://www.jeita.or.jp/english/stat/ [accessed on September 20, 2013].
-  Council for Recycling of Small Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment,
http://www.env.go.jp/recycle/recycling/raremetals/ [accessed on the August 10, 2014]. (in Japanese)
-  Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (2012), “Mineral Resources Report.” (in Japanese)
-  PC 3R Promition Association, (2014), “Statistics on volume of reused or recycled personal computer by manufacturer,”
http://www.pc3r.jp [accessed on August 11, 2014]. (in Japanese)
-  Ministry of Environment (2014), “Information about Act on Promotion of Recycling of Small Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment,”
http://www.env.go.jp/recycle/recycling/raremetals/index.html [accessed on June 30, 20014].
-  L. Alting and J. B. Legarth, “Life cycle engineering and design,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 569-580, 1993.
-  Y. Umeda, S. Takata, F. Kimura, T. Tomiyama, J. W. Sutherland, S. Kara, C. Hermann, and J. R. Duflow, “Toward integrated product and process life cycle planning – an environmental perspective,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 681-702, 2012.
-  J. R. Duflou, G. Seliger, S. Kara, Y. Umeda, A. Ometto, and B. Willems, “Efficiency and Feasibility of Product Disassembly: A Case-based Study,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 583-600, 2008.
-  International energy agency, (2014), “IEA Sankey diagram,
http://www.iea.org/Sankey/ [accessed on August 10, 2014].
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.