Surface Topography of Mini-Size Diamond Wheel in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG)
Masakazu Fujimoto*, Yongbo Wu*, Mitsuyoshi Nomura*,
Hidenari Kanai**, and Masahiko Jin***
*Department of Machine Intelligence and Systems Engineering, Akita Prefectural University, 84-4 Tsuchiya-Ebinokuchi, Yurihonjo, Akita 015-0055, Japan
**industria Co., Ltd., 2700 Miyadera, Iruma, Saitama 358-0014, Japan
***Depertment of Mechanical Engineering, Nippon Institute of Technology, 4-1 Gakuendai, Miyashiromachi, Minamisaitama, Saitama 345-8501, Japan
The objectives of this paper are to describe a quantitative evaluation of mini-size diamond grinding wheel surface topography in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG) process and demonstrate the effects of topography on grinding characteristics. In this study, threedimensional (3D) analysis of the wheel working surface was observed using a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) with four electron probes (hereafter described as 3D-SEM) in an on-surface UAG process. These results indicated that a good wheel surface maintained in the UAG process is related to the number and the area of cutting edges. Additionally, the resulting topographic features of the grinding wheel surface are closely related to low grinding forces and allow easy manufacturing of a mirror workpiece surface.
Hidenari Kanai, and Masahiko Jin, “Surface Topography of Mini-Size Diamond Wheel in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG),” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 569-575, 2014.
-  N. Suzuki, M. Haritani, J. Yang, R. Hino, and E. Shamoto, “Elliptical Vibration Cutting of Tungsten Alloy Molds for Optical Glass Parts,” Ann. CIRP, Vol.56, No.1, pp. 127-130, 2007.
-  H. Kotera, “Surface and its Treatment of MEMS and µ-TAS,” J. Surf. Finish. Soc. Jpn., Vol.56, No.10, pp. 572-579, 2005.
-  N. Sornsuwit, Y. Takeuchi, K. Sawada, and T. Sata, “Metal Mold Manufacturing of Fresnel Lens by Use of Micro Grooving Technology,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.64, No.628, pp. 4887-4892, 1998.
-  Y. Yamamoto, H. Suzuki, T. Moriwaki, T. Okino, and T. Higuchi, “Precision Grinding of Micro Fresnel Lens Molding Die (2nd report): Precision Truing of Micro Grinding Wheel with Sharp Edge by Molybdenum Truer and Accuracy Improvement in Fresnel Surface Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.73, No.6, pp. 688-693, 2007.
-  J. Qiu, G. Zhang, M. Asao, M. Zhang, H. Feng, and Y. Wu, “Study on the Novel Ultrasonic Weld Properties of Heterogeneous Polymers between PC and PMMA,” Int. J. Adhes. Adhes., Vol.30, No.8, pp. 729-734, 2010.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Grinding Characteristics of Mould Steel with Micro 3D Structure in Ultrasonically Assisted Precision Grinding,” Int. J. Nanomanuf., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 201-210, 2013.
-  K. Shimada, T. Zhou, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Statistical Approach for Calculating Ground Surface Roughness of Ultrasonicassisted Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.56, No.11, pp. 752-757, 2012.
-  Y. Wu, X. Wang, T. Tachibana, and M. Kato, “Laser Truing and Dressing of Small Vitrified CBN Wheel,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.51, No.9, pp. 518-521, 2007.
-  K. Syoji, J. Taguchi, T. Kuriyagawa, and M. Mizuno, “Contour Grinding of Ceramics with Diamond Microquill,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.59, No.565, pp. 2835-2840, 1993.
-  Y. Satoh, T. Matsubara, and T. Nakamura, “Ultra-precision Grinding with Fine Grit CBN Wheel of Mini-size (1st report): Conventional Mechanical Truing and Finished Surface Roughness,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.41, No.10, pp. 382-387, 1997.
-  Y. Wu, M. Nomura, and T. Tachibana, “Precision Internal Grinding using Ultrasonically Assisted Grinding Technique,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.53, No.12, pp. 729-732, 2009.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, and J. Cao, “High Precision Ultrasonically Assisted Internal Grinding (UAIG) of Difficult-to-machining Materials using Metal Bonded Diamond Wheels,” Proc. 6th LEM21, 2011.
-  Y. Wu, W. Yang, M. Fujimoto, and L. Zhou, “Mirror Surface Finishing of Silicon Wafer Edge Using Ultrasonic Assisted Fixed-Abrasive CMP (UF-CMP),” Int. J. Autom. Technol., Vol.7, No.6 pp. 663-670, 2013.
-  H. Sakamoto and S. Shimizu, “Evaluation Method of Condition Change on Working Surface with Grinding – Evaluation Method for Combined Generation of Condition Changes on Wheel Working Surface –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.71, No.1, pp. 120-125, 2005.
-  R. Cai and W. Rowe, “Assessment of Vitrified CBNWheels for Precision Grinding,” Int. J. Mach. Tools and Manuf., Vol.44, Issue 12-13, pp. 1391-1402, 2004.
-  M. Fujimoto and Y. Ichida, “Micro Fracture Behavior of Cutting Edges in Grinding using Single Crystal cBN Grains,” Dia. Relat. Mat., Vol.17, No.7-10, pp. 1759-1763, 2008.
-  Z. Liang, X. Wang, Y. Wu, L. Xie, Z. Liu, and W. Zhao, “An Investigation on Wear Mechanism of Resin-bonded Diamond Wheel in Elliptical Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (EUAG) of Mnocrystal Sapphire,” J. Mat. Process. Technol. Vol.212, Issue 4, pp. 868-876, 2012.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, R. Sato, and Y. Morimoto, “Characterization of Wheel Surface Topography in cBN Grinding,” JSME Int. J. Series C, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 106-113, 2006.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, and R. Sato, “Wear Characteristics of Vitrified cBN Grinding Wheels,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Manuf., Vol.2, No.4, pp. 570-578, 2008.
-  S. Habu, Y. Ichida, H. Kajino, and M. Sato, “Wear Characteristics and Grinding Performance of Vitrified Diamond Grinding Wheels,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.54, No.3, pp. 157-163, 2010.
-  S. Matsui and K. Shoji, “A Study on Effective Cutting Edges in Grinding Wheel,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.34, No.11, pp. 743-748, 1968.
-  J. Takagi and K. Namiki, “Influence of Grinding Parameters on Wear and Fracture Characteristics of CBN Grains,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.38, No.3, pp. 153-158, 1994.
-  H. Isobe, K. Hara, and Y. Take, “Development of the Die Mirror Finish Technique by Ultrasonically Assisted Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.54, No.5, pp. 288-292, 2008.