Effect of Discharge Duration and Pulse Frequency on Surface Characteristics Using Whirling Electrical Discharge Texturing
Vitchuda Lertphokanont*, Masahiro Oi*, Takayuki Sato*,
Minoru Ota*, Kai Egashira*, Keishi Yamaguchi*,
Masayoshi Yamada**, and Yasuo Tomita**
*Kyoto Institute of Technology, Matsugasaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8585, Japan
**Nissin Manufacturing Co., Ltd., Akasaka-85, Mineyamacho, Kyoto 627-0006, Japan
Discharge duration and pulse frequency are studied to determine the optimum conditions for creating a single crater. In addition, the relationships between pulse frequency and surface characteristics using Whirling Electrical Discharge Texturing (WEDT) are determined. It is confirmed that the texture-area ratio and the total removal volume of craters, but not crater diameter or crater depth, can be controlled by adjusting pulse frequency. Moreover, after honing, surface characteristics decrease owing to the removal of protrusions. With honing, the surface roughness of the textured surface leads to a reduced friction coefficient as expected.
Minoru Ota, Kai Egashira, Keishi Yamaguchi,
Masayoshi Yamada, and Yasuo Tomita, “Effect of Discharge Duration and Pulse Frequency on Surface Characteristics Using Whirling Electrical Discharge Texturing,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 561-568, 2014.
-  M. Ota, T. Nakayama, and K. Takasima, “Novel Microsurface Machining Techniques for Powertrain Components,” JSAE Annual Congress Proceedings, Vol.30, No.6, pp. 11-14, 2006.
-  M. Wakuda, Y. Yamauchi, S. Kanzaki, and Y. Yasuda, “Effect of Surface Texturing on Friction Reduction between Ceramic and Steel Materials under Lubricated Sliding Contact,” Wear, Vol.254, pp. 356-363, 2003.
-  L. M. Vilhena, M. Sedlacek, B. Podgornik, J. Vizintin, A. Babnik, and J. Mozina, “Surface Texturing by Pulse Nd: YAG laser, Tribology International,” Vol.42, pp. 1496-1504, 2009.
-  Q. Zhang, A. V. Duin, T. Cagin, W. A. Goddard, T. Sagawa, and S. Okuda, “Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Sliding Friction on Diamond Surfaces.”
-  Y. Yasuda, M. Kano, Y. Mabushi, and S. Abou, “Research on Diamond-like Carbon Coating for Low-Friction Valve Lifters.”
-  A. Amanov, Y. S. Pyun, B. Zhang, J. S. Park, and J. Nohava, “Preliminary Study of The Effect of Micro-scale Dimple Size on Friction and Wear under Oil-Lubricated Sliding Contact,” Tribology Online, Vol.6, No.7, pp. 284-290, 2011.
-  M. Nakano, A. Korenaga, K. Miyake, T. Murakami, Y. Ando, H. Usami, and S. Sasaki, “Applying Micro-Texture to Cast Iron Surface to Reduce the Friction Coefficient Under Lubricated Conditions,” Tribology Letter, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 131-137, 2007.
-  A. Blatter, M. Maillat, S. M. Pimenov, G. A. Shafeev, A. V. Simakin, and E. N. Loubnin, “Lubricated Sliding Performance of Laser-patterned Sapphire,” Wear, Vol.232, pp. 226-230, 1999.
-  A. Ronen, I. Etsion, and Y. Kligerman, “Friction-Reducing Surface-Texturing in Reciprocating Automotive components,” Tribology transactions, Vol.44, No.3, pp. 259-366, 2001.
-  G. Ryk and I. Etsion, “Testing Piston Rings with Partial Laser Surface Texturing for Friction Reduction,” Wear, Vol.261, pp. 792-796, 2006.
-  G. Ryk, Y. Kligerman, I. Etsion, and Shinkarenko, “Experimental Investigation of Partial Laser Surface Texturing for Piston-Ring Friction Reduction, Tribology transactions,” Vol.48, No.3, pp. 583-588, 2005.
-  H. L. Costa and I. M. Hutchings, “Hydrodynamic Lubrication of Textured Steel Surfaces under Reciprocating Sliding Conditions,” Tribology Int., Vol.40, pp. 1227-1238, 2007.
-  D. Zhu, T. Nanbu, N. Ren, Y. Yasuda, and Q. J. Wang, “Modelbased Virtual Surface Texturing for Concentrated Conformal-Contact Lubrication,” Vol.224 Part J, pp. 685-696, 2010.
-  V. Lertphokanont, M. Ota, H. Yasui, T. Hamaoka, and T. Yabunaka, “Development of Whirling Electrical Discharge Texturing on Inner Surface of Small Hole,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 763-776, 2013.
-  V. Lertphokanont, T. Sato, M. Ota, K. Yamaguchi, and K. Egashira, “Micro-structuring on Cylindrical Inner Surface using Whirling Electrical Discharge Texturing,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.565, pp. 430-435, 2012.
-  V. Lertphokanont, T. Sato, M. Ota, K. Yamaguchi, and K. Egashira, “Surface Quality of Textured Surface on Cylindrical Inner Surface using Whirling Electrical Discharge Texturing,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.797, pp. 338-343, 2013.
-  Y. Uehara, M.Wakuda, Y. Yamauchi, S. Kanzaki, and S. Sakaguchi, “Tribological Properties of Dimple Silicon Nitride under Oil Lubrication,” J. of the European Ceramics Society, Vol.24, pp. 369-373, 2004.
-  J. Li, D. Xiong, J. Dai, Z. Huang, and R. Tyagi, “Effect of Surface Laser Texture on Friction Properties of Nickel-Based Composite,” Tribological Int., Vol.43, pp. 1193-1199, 2010.
-  Y. Matsumoto, F. Hashimoto, and G. Lahoti, “Surface Integrity Generated by Precision Hard Turning,” Timken Research, The Timken Company, 1999.
-  C. X. Feng, X. Wang, and Z. Yu, “Neural Network Modeling of Honing Surface Roughness Parameter Define by ISO 13565,” J. of Manufacturing Systems, Vol.21, pp. 395-408, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.