Integrated Information Model for Design, Machining, and Measuring Using Annotated Features
Fumiki Tanaka, Hiroyuki Abe, Shinji Igari,
and Masahiko Onosato
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Kita-14, Nishi-9, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0814, Japan
Annotations on Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), surface roughness, etc. are needed for machining or measuring. However, these annotations are not used for the digital format in the product development process, nor is there any clear, explicit relationship between annotation, machining information, and measuring results. In this research, an integrated information model for design, machining, and measuring based on annotated features is proposed. A model for surface texture is also proposed because surface texture parameters are closely related to machining process parameters. A modeling system for the proposed integrated model is also implemented.
-  F. Tanaka, “Current Situation and Problems for Representation of Tolerance and Surface Texture in 3D CAD Model,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 201-205, 2011.
-  SASIG, “SASIG 3D Annotated Model Standard,” A Joint publication, Version 1, 2008.
-  ISO TC 184/SC 1, ISO 14649-10, “Industrial automation systems and integration – Physical device control – Data model for computerized numerical controllers – Part 10: General process data,” 2004.
-  ISO TC 184/SC4, ISO/WD 10303-242, “Industrial automation systems and integration – Product data representation and exchange – Part 242: Application protocol: Managed Model Based 3D Engineering,” 2011.
-  V. Quintana, et.al., “Will Model-based Definition replace engineering drawings throughout the product lifecycle? A global perspective from aerospace industry,” Computers in Industry, No. 61, pp. 497-508, 2010.
-  F. Venne, L. Rivest, and A. Desrochers, “Assessment of 3D Annotation Tools as a Substitute for 2D Traditional Engineering Drawings in Aerospace Product Development,” Computer-Aided Design and Applications, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 547-563, 2010.
-  V. Quintana, L. Rivest, R. Pellerin, and F. Kheddouci, “Reengineering the Engineering Change Management process for a drawing-less environment,” Computers in Industry, Vol.63, No.1, pp. 820-837, 2012.
-  B. Muralikrishnan and J. Raja, “Process diagnostics and functional correlation in surface metrology: novel techniques, case studies and analysis system development,” Measurement, Vol.36, No.2, pp. 175-183, 2004.
-  B. Muralikrishnan and J. Raja, “Inference engine for process diagnostics and functional correlation in surface metrology,” Wear, Vol.257, No.12, pp. 1257-1263, 2004.
-  B. C. Routara, A. Bandyopadhyay, and P. Sahoo, “Roughness modeling and optimization in CNC end milling using response surfacemethod: effect of workpiece material variation,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.40, No.11-12, pp. 1166-1180, 2009.
-  X. F. Zhang, J. Xie, H. F. Xie, and L. H. Li, “Experimental investigation on various tool path strategies influencing surface quality and form accuracy of CNC milled complex freeform surface,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, No.5-8, pp. 647-654, 2012.
-  S. Bui, B. Muralikrishnan, S. Fu, V. Gopalan, and J. Raja, “Internet based software system for surface texture and form analysis,” Measurement, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 291-301, 2003.
-  S. H. Bui, B. Muralikrishnan, and J. Raja, “A framework for Internet-based surface texture analysis and information system,” Precision Engineering, Vol.29, No.3, pp. 298-306, 2005.
-  X. J. Jiang and D. J. Whitehouse, “Technological shifts in surface metrology,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 815-836, 2012.
-  Y. Takaya, “In-Process and On-Machine Measurement of Machining Accuracy for Process and Product Quality Management: A Review,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 4-19, 2014.
-  C. Danjou, J. L. Duigou, and B. Eynard, “Integrated Platform from CAD to CNC: A Survey,” Product Lifecycle Management for Society, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Vol.409, pp. 130-139, 2013.
-  JIS B 0601, “Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Surface texture: Profile method – Terms, definitions and surface texture parameters,” JIS, 2013. (This standard is identical to ISO 4287:1997)
-  JIS B 0651, “Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Surface texture : Profile method – Nominal characteristics of contact (stylus) instruments,” JIS, 2001. (This standard is identical to ISO 3274:1996)
-  S. Igari, et.al., “Computer Aided Operation Planning for an Actual Machine Tool Based on Updatable Machining Database and Database Oriented Planning Algorithm,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 717-723, 2012.
-  S. Igari, F. Tanaka, and M. Onosato, “Development of Planning and Machining System for machine-independent STEP-NC data,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Control and Automation Christchurch, New Zealand, pp. 1241-1247, 2009.