Topology Optimization for Polymeric Foam Shock-Absorbing Structure Using Hybrid Cellular Automata
Wonho Lee, Jinhoon Kim, and Changbae Park
R&D Solution Lab., Digital Media Communication R&D Center, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 129, Samsung-Ro, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do 443-742, Korea
-  M. Avalle, G. Belingardi, and R. Montanini, “Characterization of polymeric structural foams under compressive impact loading by means of energy-absorption diagram,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, Vol.25, pp. 455-472, 2001.
-  “Packaging with Styropor,” BASF, 2006.
-  B. Croop and H. Lobo, “Selecting Material Models for the Simulation of Foams in LS-DYNA,” 7th European LS-DYNA Conf., 2009.
-  S.W. Booh, K. T. Kim, and W. J. Chung, “Drop/Impact Analysis of Electronic Products with Packaging Materials,” Trans. of the KSME (A), pp. 228-234, 1995.
-  K. Y. Seok, K. W. Yoon, J. M. Na, and C. B. Park, “Analysis of Package Drop and its Application for Optical Disc Drives,” Proc. of the KSNV Engineering Conf., pp. 177-182, 2004.
-  D. H. Kum, W. J. Kim, S. D. Kim, and S. H. Park, “Optimal Design for Cushioned package of a Heavy Electronic Product Using Mechanical Drop Analysis,” Trans. of the KSNV, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 128-135, Feb. 2004.
-  C. S. Kim, B. K. Base, and D. Y. Sung, “Drop Analysis of a Package and Cushion Performance of Drum Washing Machine,” Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol.34, No.11, pp. 1733-1740, Nov. 2010.
-  J. W. Yi, D. Y. Ha, S. W. Lee, J. M. Lim, G. J. Park, “Development of Design System for EPS Cushioned package of Monitor Using Axiomatic Design,” Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol.27, No.10, pp. 228-234, Oct. 2003.
-  Y. Y. Wang, C. Lu, J. Li, X. M. Tan, and T. C. Tse, “Simulation of drop/impact reliability for electronic devices,” Finite Element in Analysis and Design, Vol.41, Issue 6, Mar. 2005.
-  M. P. Bensøe and O. Sigmund, “Topology Optimization, Theory: Methods and Applications,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2003.
-  T. Goel, W. Roux, and N. Stander, “A Topology Optimization Tool for LS-DYNA Users: LS-OPT/Topology,” 7th European LS-DYNA Conf., 2009.
-  M. M. Abdalla, S. Setoodeh, and Z. Gürdal, “Cellular automata paradigm for topology optimisation,” IUTAM Symp. on Topological Design Optimization of Structures, Machines and Materials: Status and Perspectives, pp. 169-180, 2006.
-  G. H. Yoon and Y. Y. Kim, “Element connectivity parameterization for topology optimization of geometrically nonlinear structures,” Int. J. of Solids and Structures, Vol.42, Issue 7, pp. 1983-2009, Apr. 2005.
-  A. Erhart, P. Schumacher, N. Lazarov, H. Műllerschön, “Topology optimization with LS-TaSC and Genesis/ESL for crash-loading,” LS-DYNA Forum, Germany, 2012.
-  M. K. Shin, K. J. Park, and G. J. Park, “Optimization of structures with nonlinear behavior using equivalent load,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol.196, Issue 4-6, pp. 1154-1167, Jan. 2007.
-  A. Tovar, N. M. Pater, AK. Kaushik, G. A. Letona, and J. E. Renaud, “Hybrid cellular automata: a biologically-inspired structural optimization technique,” In Proc. of the 10th AIAA/ISSMO Symp. on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, AIAA 2004-4558, 2004.
-  A. Tovar, N. M. Patel, G. L. Niebur, M. Sen, and JE. Renaud, “Topology Optimization Using a Hybrid Cellular Automaton Method With Local Control Rules,” J. of Mechanical Design of ASME, Vol.128, pp. 1205-1216, 2006.
-  N. M. Patel, “Crashworthiness design using topology optimization,” Dissertation, University of Notre Dame, 2007.
-  W. Roux, LS-OPT/Tolopology 1.0, Livermore Software Technology Corporation, 2010.
-  J. O. Hallquist, “LS-DYNA Theory Manual,” Livermore Software Technology Corporation, 2006.
-  JC. Goetz, H. Tan, J. E. Renaud, and A. Tovar, “Structural topology optimization for blast mitigation using hybrid cellular automata,” Proc. of the GVSETS, 2009.
-  M. P. Bendsøe and O. Sigmund, “Material interpolation schemes in topology optimization,” Archive of Appied Mechanics, Vol.69, pp. 635-654, 1999.
-  WESTPAK, “Cushion Material Testing,” Technical Papers,
http://www.westpak.com. [accessed Apr. 16, 2012]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.