Evaluation of the IWF-Wunder Reproduction Method for Generating Positive Replica
Marcel Henerichs, Michael Egeter, Thomas Liebrich,
Robert Voß, and Konrad Wegener
Institute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing (IWF), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH), Tannenstrasse 3, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
Research into manufacturing technology requires regular measurement and documentation of workpiece and tool quality. The instant or direct measurement of tool or workpiece surfaces is often difficult or impossible. Remounting of workpieces or tools leads to undesired remounting errors, a direct integration of adapted measurement systems is not suitable for research and development. Additionally, abrasive or transparent surfaces can be unsuitable for use with some measurement systems. This study evaluates an imprinting method for the production of positive replicas of tool or workpiece surfaces. The resulting errors between original sample and replica are evaluated. The analyses include common test methods, such as tactile surface profiling, focus variation microscopy, and white light interferometry. The study shows that for the evaluated reproduction method, the difference between original and replica is less than 10%of the surface roughness, Ra, for original surface roughnesses greater than Ra = 0.1µm. Mostly better results are achieved (difference < 2%). In addition, contour dimensions greater 1 mm can be copied with deviations less than 0.5%.
-  S. Wunder, “Verschleissverhalten von Diamantabrichtrollen beim Abrichten von Korund-Schleifscheiben,” DISS.ETH Nr. 20572, ETH Zürich, pp. 92-102, 2012.
-  F. W. Pinto, G. E. Vargas, and K. Wegener, “Simulation for optimizing grain pattern on engineered grinding tools,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 353-356, 2008.
-  J. C. Aurich, P. Herzenstiel, H. Sudermann, and T. Magg, “Highperformance dry grinding using a grinding wheel with a defined grain pattern,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 357-362, 2008.
-  H. N. Hansen, R. Hocken, and G. Tosello, “Replication of micro and nano surface geometries,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, pp. 5-20, 2011.
-  H. N. Hansen and U. -A. Theilade, “Surface Microstructure Replication in Injection Moulding,” Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Multi-Material Micro Manufacture, Vol.4M, pp. 91-94, 2005.
-  X. Han and H. Yokoi, “Visualization Analysis of the Filling Behaviour ofMelt into Microscale V-Grooves During the Filling Stage of Injection Molding,” Polymer Engineering and Science, Vol.46, No.11, pp. 1590-1597, 2006.
-  G. C. Firestone and A. -Y. Yi, “Precision Compression Molding of GlassMicrolenses andMicrolens Arrays – An Experimental Study,” Applied Optics, Vol.44, No.29, pp. 6115-6122, 2005.
-  A. -Y. Yi, Y. Chen, F. Klocke, G. Pongs, A. Demmer, D. Grewell, and A. Benatar, “A High Volume Precision Compression Molding Process of Glass Diffractive Optics by Use of a Micromachined Fused Silica Wafer Mold and Low Tg Optical Glass,” Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.16, pp. 2000-2005, 2006.
-  J. Campbell, “Casting, Butterworths,” London, 1993.
-  J. A. Taylor, G. B. Schafer, and D. H. StJohn, “The Role of Iron in the Formation of Porosity in Al-Si-Cu-Based Casting Alloys: Part I. Initial Experimental Observations, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol.30, Iss.6, pp. 1643-1650, June 1999.
-  Y. Zhang, J. -C. Reed, and S. Yang, “Creating a Library of Complex Metallic Nanostructures via Harnessing Pattern Transformation of a Single PDMS Membrane,” Journal of American Chemical Society, Vol.3, No.8, pp. 2412-2418, 2009.
-  R. S. Scott, P. S. Ungar, T. S. Bergstrom, C. A. Brown, B. Childs, M. F. Teaford, and A.Walker, “Dental Microwear Texture Analysis: technical considerations,” Journal of Human Evolution, Vol.51, pp. 339-349, 2006.
-  Struers A/S. Repliset, “An advanced replica technique for the inspection of critical surfaces,”
www.struers.com [accessed July 23, 2013]
-  Coltene Whaledent, Accu Trans,
http://www.coltene.com/ [accessed July 23, 2013]
-  J. -P. Butin, “Non Destructive Test by the Replica Method,” Non-Destructive Methods, Vol.3, pp. 173-176, 1970.
-  L. L. Nee, “Non-destructive Replica Metallography,” British Journal of Non-Destructive Testing Vol.31, Iss.8, pp. 437-439, 1989.
-  R. Wu, “Microstructural Study of Sanded and Polished Wood by Replication,” Wood Science and Technology, Vol.32, pp. 247-260, 1998.
-  W. Chee and T. Donovan, “Polyvinyl siloxane impression materials: A review of properties and techniques,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, Vol.68, Iss.5, pp. 728-732, November 1992.
-  V. Mazzarello, M. Cametti, G. Leone, P. Iacovelli, P. Ena, and G. Leigheb, “Analysis of the Microtopography of the Skin by Silicone Replicas after Repeated Exposure to Actinic Radiation at High Altitudes,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, Vol.15, pp. 224-228, 2001.
-  F. Klocke, A. Klink, and M. Henerichs, “ELID dressing behaviour of fine grained bronze bonded diamond grinding wheels,” Int. J. Abrasive Technology, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 359-367, November 2009.
-  H. Ohmori and T. Nakagawa, “Analysis of mirror surface generation of hard and brittle materials by ELID (electrolytic in-process dressing) – grinding with superfine grain metallic bond wheels,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.44, No.1, pp. 287-290, 1995.
-  H. Ohmori, M. Mizutani, T. Kaneeda, N. Abe, Y. Okada, S. Moriyama, N. Hisamori, N. Nishimura, Y. Tsunashima, J. Tanaka, K. Kuramoto, and A. Ezura, “Surface generating process of artificial hip joints with hyper-hemispherical shape having higher smoothness and biocompatibility,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.62, Iss.1, pp. 579-582, 2013.
-  H. Ohmori, W. Lin, Y. Uehara, Y. Watanabe, S. Morita, T. Suzuki, and K. Katahira, “Nanoprecision Micromechanical Fabrication,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.1, 2008.
-  Alicona, “Infinite Focus for form and roughness measurement,”
http://www.alicona.com/home/products/infinitefocus-standard.html [accessed July 31, 2013]
-  Zygo, “NewViewTM7300 3D Optical Surface Profiler,”
http://www.zygo.com/?/met/profilers/newview7000/ [accessed July 31, 2013]
-  G. Tosello, F. Marinello, and H. N. Hansen, “Characterization and Analysis of Micro Channels and Sub-Micron Surface Roughness of Injection Moulded Microfluidic Systems Using Optical Metrology,” Polymer Process Engineering ‘09 Conference (PPE’09), Bradford, United Kingdom, Vol.27-28, pp. 199-232. October 2009.
-  H. Ohmori, Y. Uehara, and K. Katahira, “Fabrication of Ultrafine Tools Using a Desktop Microgrinder,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.2, 2010.
-  I. Ogura and Y. Okazaki, “Development of Micro Probe System for Micro Measurement Center,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, 2009.
-  K.-C. Fan, K. Zhang, Y.-L. Zhang, and Q. Zhang, “Development of a Non-Contact Focusing Probe for the Measurement of Micro Cavities,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.2, 2013.