Temperature Measurement in CFRP Milling Using a Wireless Tool-Integrated Process Monitoring Sensor
Kevin Kerrigan and Garret E. O’Donnell
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Trinity College Dublin, College Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
Interrupted, high-speed composite machining processes involving complex geometries in rotation remain without a robust and accurate temperature process-monitoring tool. In this investigation a novel wireless integrated thermocouple (WIT) sensor for low-temperature applications (<200°C) is characterised for tool-side temperature measurement in peripheral milling. The signal from the WIT sensor within the tool material is assessed and a parametric finite element (FE) model is generated to improve the accuracy of temperature measurement and infer characteristics of the thermal behaviour of the tool during cutting. The model is validated using a cuttinganalogous heat delivery experimental setup. Using the validated parametric model, heat fluxes and surface temperatures are investigated in a carbon-fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) edge trimming case study. The combination of the raw WIT response and the parametric model demonstrate an ability to improve the capability of the CFRP milling process by allowing for accurate tool-side prediction of temperatures for a range of machining parameters. Results demonstrate the performance of the WIT sensor with FE model incorporated for a CFRP edge trimming process.
-  R. Kozarsky, A. Vicari, and M. Holman, “Stronger, Lighter, Faster . . . Cheaper? How Innovation Will Affect Carbon Fiber’s Cost and Market Impact,” State of the Market Report, 2012.
-  R. Teti, K. Jemielniak, G. O’Donnell, and D. Dornfeld, “Advanced monitoring of machining operations,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, No.2, pp. 717-739, 2010.
-  F. Klocke, S. Kratz, T. Auerbach, S. Gierlings, G. Wirtz, and D. Veselovac, “Process monitoring and controll of machining operations,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 403-411, 2011.
-  G. Byrne, D. Dornfeld, and B. Denkena, “Advancing Cutting Technology,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 483-507, 2003.
-  A. Chatterjee, “Thermal Degradation Analysis of Thermoset Resins,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol.114, pp. 1417-1425, 2009.
-  H. Hocheng, H. Y. Puw, and Y. Huang, “Preliminary study on milling of unidirectional carbon fibre-reinforced plastics,” Composites Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 103-108, 1993.
-  H. Sasahara, T. Ogawa, and T. Yashiro, “Cutting Temperature Measurement on Milling Process of CFRP,” in Proceedings of the 4th CIRP International Conference on High Performance Cutting, Nagaragawa Convention Centre, Gifu, Japan, CIRP, 2010.
-  M. K. Nor Khairusshima, C.H. Che Hassan, A. G. Jaharah, A. K. M. Amin, and A. N. Md Idriss, “Effect of chilled air on tool wear and workpiece quality during milling of carbon fibre-reinforced plastic,” Wear, 2013.
-  J. Y. Sheikh-Ahmad, “Machining of Polymer Composites,” New York, Springer, 2009.
-  H. Hocheng, “Machining technology for composite materials – Principles and practice,” Woodhead Publishing Series in Composites Science and Engineering, H. Hocheng (Ed.), Woodhouse Publishing Ltd., 2011.
-  T. Inoue, M. Hagino, M. Matsui, and L. Gu, “Cutting characteristics of CFRP materials with end milling,” pp. 710-713, 2009.
-  R. Teti, “Machining of Composite Materials,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.51, No.2, pp. 611-634, 2002.
-  M. A. Davies, T. Ueda, R. M’Saoubi, B. Mullany, and A. L. Cooke, “On The Measurement of Temperature in Material Removal Processes,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.56, No.2, pp. 581-604, 2007.
-  P. Müler-Hummel and M. Lahres, “Quantitative measurement of temperatures on diamond-coated tools during machining,” Diamond and Related Materials, Vol.4, No.10, pp. 1216-1221, 1995.
-  C. Courbon, T. Mabrouki, J. Rech, D. Mazuyer, and E. D’Eramo, “On the existence of a thermal contact resistance at the tool-chip interface in dry cutting of AISI 1045: Formation mechanisms and influence on the cutting process,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 1311-1325, 2013.
-  L. Kops and M. C. Shaw, “Thermal Radiation in Surface Grinding,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 211-214, 1982.
-  J.-L. Battaglia, O. Cois, L. Puigsegur, and A. Oustaloup, “Solving an inverse heat conduction problem using a non-integer identified model,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.44, No.14, pp. 2671-2680, 2001.
-  J.-L. Battaglia, H. Elmoussami, and L. Puigsegur, “Modéisation du comportement thermique d’un outil de fraisage: approche par identification de systè non entierThermal modelling of a milling tool: a noninteger system identification approach,” Comptes Rendus Mecanique, Vol.330, No.12, pp. 857-864, 2002.
-  A. Kusiak, J.-L. Battaglia, and R. Marchal, “Influence of CrN coating in wood machining from heat flux estimation in the tool,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol.44, No.3, pp. 289-301, 2005.
-  A. Kusiak, J.-L. Battaglia, and J. Rech, “Tool coatings influence on the heat transfer in the tool during machining,” Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol.195, No.1, pp. 29-40, 2005.
-  J. Rech, J.-L. Battaglia, and A. Moisan, “Thermal influence of cutting tool coatings,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.159, No.1, pp. 119-124, 2005.
-  J. Rech, A. Kusiak, and J.-L. Battaglia, “Tribological and thermal functions of cutting tool coatings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol.186, No.3, pp. 364-371, 2004.
-  C. Barlier, “Process on detection and direct continuous measurement of tool wear by embedded sensor,” EPO, Editor Patent Number EP 0369087 B1, pp. 1-6, 1994.
-  C. Barlier, “Procede pour la detection et la mesure direct et en continu de l’unsure des outils de coupe par sonde incorporee,” INPI, Editor Patent Number FR 216218A1, C. Barlier, France, 1990.
-  C. Barlier, D. Benoit, and L. Velnom, “Cutting tool with measuring means,” EPO, Editor Patent Number EP 1599303, France, 2005.
-  E. Brinksmeier, S. Fangmann, and R. Rentsch, “Drilling of composites and resulting surface integrity,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 57-60, 2011.
-  Z. J. Liu, Y. M. Quan, and L. Liang, “A wireless system for cutting temperature measurement,” in Advanced Material Research, Switzerland. pp. 475-480, 2011.
-  D.Werschmoeller and X. Li, “Measurement of tool internal temperatures in the tool-chip contact region by embedded micro thin film thermocouples,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 147-152, 2011.
-  M. Armendia, A. Garay, A. Villar, M. A. Davies, and P. J. Arrazola, “High bandwidth temperature measurement in interrupted cutting of difficult to machine materials,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, No.1, pp. 97-100, 2010.
-  F. Klocke, S. Gierlings, M. Brockmann, and D. Veselovac, “Influence of Temperature on Surface Integrity for Typical Machining Processes in Aero Engine Manufacture,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.19, pp. 203-208, 2011.
-  T. Ueda, M. Sato, A. Hosokawa, and M. Ozawa, “Development of infrared radiation pyrometer with optical fibers – Two-color pyrometer with non-contact fiber coupler,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 69-72, 2008.
-  D. A. Stephenson and A. Ali, “Tool temperatures in interrupted metal cutting,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.114, pp. 127-136, 1992.
-  G. Byrne, D. Dornfeld, I. Inasaki, G. Ketteler, W. König and R. Teti, “Tool Condition Monitoring (TCM) – The Status of Research and Industrial Application,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 541-567, 1995.
-  G. Le Coz, M. Marinescu, A. Devillez, D. Dudzinski, and L. Velnom, “Measuring temperature of rotating cutting tools: Application toMQL drilling and dry milling of aerospace alloys,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.36, pp. 434-441, 2012.