Fundamental Study of the On-Machine Measurement in the Machining Center with a Touch Trigger Probe
Yukitoshi Ihara* and Takehiro Nagasawa**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Osaka Institute of Technology, 5-16-1 Omiya, Asahi-ku, Osaka 535-8585, Japan
**R&D Department, HEIDENHAIN K.K., 3-5-6 Oyamagaoka, Machida-shi, Tokyo 194-0215, Japan
As it contributes to the reduction of processing time and to the raising of accuracy, on-machine measurement is growing in importance in the machining process. On-machine measurement includes the precise positioning of the work piece and the comprehension of its position or shape. However, errors in on-machine measurement could lead to errors in the measured values after the machining process is finished. In this study, measurements taken by the major touch trigger probes available on the market are compared using newly-developed on-machine software that can generate suitable NC programs for automaticmeasurement. As a result, more effective methods of on-machine measurement are defined through the identification of the abovementioned errors.
-  Y. Ihara and H. Ohtsuka, “On-machine Measurement Technologies,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.75, No.11, pp. 1281-1284, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  T. Takebe, “Latest Inspection Probe for CNC Machine Tools,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.75, No.11, pp. 1273-1276, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  T. Ueno, “On Machine Measuring System for Machine Tools,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.75, No.11, pp. 1269-1272, 2009. (in Japanese).
-  “Newest In-process/On-machine Measuring Technique, Mechanical Engineering,” Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, Vol.4, 2010. (In Japanese)
-  “Touch Probe for Machine Tools,” Catalog of HEIDENHAIN, DR. JOHANNES HEIDENHAIN GmbH.
-  M. Ohya, “A Study of the Accuracy of Touch-Trigger Probe,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.59, No.593, pp. 2086-2091, 1993. (in Japanese)
-  JIS B 0621-1984, “Definitions and Designations of Geometrical Deviations.”
-  JIS B 0182-1993, “Machine tools – Test codes – Vocabulary.”
-  ISO 230-10, “Test code for machine tools – Part 10: Determination of the measuring performance of probing systems of numerically controlled machine tools,” 2011.
-  RENISHAW Homepage, http://www.renishaw.com
-  BLUM-Novotest GmbH, Homepage, http://www.blum-novotest.de/
-  ISO 10360-2, “Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Acceptanceand reverification tests for coordinate measuring machines (CMM) – Part 2: CMMs used for measuring size,” 2001.
-  ISO 10791-7, “Test conditions for machining centres – Part 7: Accuracy of a finished test piece,” 1998.
-  ISO 10791-2, “Test conditions for machining centres – Part 2: Geometric test for machines with vertical spindle or universal heads with vertical primary rotary axis (vertical Z-axis),” 2001.