Using Pulse Laser Processing to Shape Cutting Edge of PcBN Tool for High-Precision Turning of Hardened Steel
Daisuke Suzuki*, Fumihiro Itoigawa*, Keiichi Kawata**,
and Takashi Nakamura*
*Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
**Aichi Center for Industry and Science Technology, 157-1, Onda-cho, Kariya-shi, Aichi 470-0356, Japan
Polycrystalline Cubic Boron Nitride (PcBN) cutting tools have excellent characteristics, such as a high degree of hardness and low chemical reactivity, so they have the potential to replace the high precision grinding of hardened steel with high precision cutting. However, there are some problems inherent in so-called sintered materials, including low formability and unsteady wear. In order to solve these problems, pulsed laser processing is applied to shape a cutting edge. In this study, first PcBN cutting tools processed by lasers are adopted to the high-precision turning of hardened steel with 58HRC. As the result, these PcBN cutting tools provide a steady cutting state and a smoother finished surface. Second, in order to investigate these advantages of PcBN cutting tools processed by laser, individual requirements of the cutting tool are investigated: edge sharpness, surface quality including micro-defects, surface hardness, and friction coefficient. The results indicate that tools processed by laser have sharper edges and smoother, harder, and lowerfiction surfaces, compared to ground tools. Above all, the increase in surface hardness improves cutting performance because of it provides higher wear resistance.
-  H. M. Lin, Y. S. Liso, and C. C. Wei, “Wear behavior in turning high hardness alloy steel by CBN tool,” Wear, Vol.246, pp. 679-684, 2008.
-  T. Nishiguch and M. Masuda, “Precision Cutting of Ferrous Material with Single Crystal CBN Cutting Tools,” J. of JSPE, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 384-389, 1988.
-  K. Fujisaki, H. Yokota, N. Furushiro, Y. Yamagata, T. Taniguchi, R. Himeno, A. Makinouchi, and T. Higuchi, “Development of Ultra-Fine-Grain Binderless cBN Tools for Precision Cutting of Ferrous Materials,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.209, No.15-16, pp. 5646-5652, 2009.
-  D. Suzuki, F. Itoigawa, K. Kawata, T. Suganuma, and T. Nakamura, “Edge Sharpening and Surface Modification of PcBN Tool by Pulsed Laser Grinding,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.523-524, pp. 131-136, 2012.
-  T. Nakamoto, E. Shamoto, Y. Yamazaki, and Y. Sirakata, “Development of Titanium Boride Grinding Wheel by Laser Sintering,” J. of JSME, Vol.72, No.716, pp. 370-375, 2006.
-  T. Furumoto, T. Ueda, Y. Funada, and H. OGURA, “Cuttinig Characteristics of CBN Stone and Diamond Stone with Pulsed Nb:YAG Laser,” J. of JSPE, Vol.71, No.4, pp. 501-505, 2005.
-  D. Suzuki, K. Kawata, F. Itoigawa, and T. Nakamura, “Shape Machining of Sintered Superabrasives Material for Cutting Tools by Nanosecond Pulsed Laser,” Proc. of JSPE (Annual meeting), p. 277, 2010.
-  T. Senda, Y. Yamamoto, and Y. Ochi, “Friction and Wear Test of Titanium Boride Ceramics at Elevated Temperatures,” J. of the Ceramic Society of Japan, Vol.101, No.4, pp. 461-465, 1993.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.