Machining of Inconel 718 with Lubricant-Coated Tool
Hiroshi Usuki*, Kazutake Uehara*, Masakazu Isaka**,
and Kazuyuki Kubota***
*Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Shimane University, 1060 Nishikawatsu-cho, Matsue-shi, Shimane 690-8504, Japan
**Yasu Plant R&D, Hitachi Tool Engineering, Ltd., 35-2 Mikami Yasu-shi, Shiga 520-2323, Japan
***Narita Plant R&D, Hitachi Tool Engineering, Ltd., 13-2 Shin-izumi, Narita-shi, Chiba 286-0825, Japan
Cutting tools coated with TiBON films of different boron concentrations and thicknesses are made, and then the effects of boron concentrations and coating film thicknesses on tool wear are investigated in turning and milling of Inconel 718 under dry cutting conditions. Results show that the tool coated with the film that has a boron concentration of 15% has the longest tool life, about four times longer than that of a tool coated with a single TiAlN layer. The wear progress rate of the tool decreases as the TiBON film thickness increases. Specifically, the life of tools with a TiBON film is twice as long or longer that of tools with a TiAlN film when Inconel 718 is being cut. The mechanism behind the extended tool life is a combination of the effect of preventing adhesion by the formation of oxide material along with the lubrication afforded by the deposition of BN in the high temperature range.
-  M. Okada, A. Hosokawa, R. Tanaka, and T. Ueda, “Cutting Characteristics of Coated Carbide Tools in Hardmilling : – Influence of Coating Film and Base Material of Coated Carbide Tool –,” JSPE, Vol.75, No.8, pp. 979-983, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  T. Makiyama, K. Sekiya, K. Yamada, and Y. Yamane, “Development of a mist-sensor for MQL machining and effects of pattern of jetted oil mist on drill wear,” Journal of the Japan Society of Grinding Engineers, Vol.52, No.9, pp. 525-530, 2008.
-  H. Sasahara, M. Kawasaki, and M. Tsutsumi, “Helical Feed Milling with MQL for Boring of Aluminum Alloy,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 1030-1040, 2008.
-  H. Usuki, K. Sato, and S. Furuya, “High Speed Dry End Milling of Titanium Alloys with Coated Carbide Tool,” JSPE, Vol.71, No.4, pp. 491-495, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  D. G. Thakur, B. Ramamoorthy, and L. Vijayaraghavan, “Some Investigations on High Speed Dry Machining of Aerospace Material Inconel 718 Using Multicoated Carbide Inserts,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol.27, No.10, pp. 1066-1072, 2012.
-  Y. Su, N. He, L. Li, and X. L. Li, “An Experimental Investigation of Effects of Cooling/lubrication Conditions on Tool Wear in Highspeed End Milling of Ti-6Al-4V,” WEAR, Vol.261, Nos.7-8, pp. 760-766, 2006.
-  L. Ning, S. C. Veldhuis, and K. Yamamoto, “Investigation of Nanostructured PVD Coatings for Dry High-speed Machining,” Machining Science and Technology, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 45-59, 2007.
-  Y. S. Liao, H.M. Lin, and Y. C. Chen, “Feasibility Study of theMinimum Quantity Lubrication in High-speed End Milling of NAK80 Hardened Steel by Coated Carbide Tool,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, No.11, pp. 1667-1676, 2007.
-  X. J. Cai, Z. Q. Liu, M. Chen, and Q. L. An, “An Experimental Investigation on Effects ofMinimum Quantity Lubrication Oil Supply Rate in High-speed End Milling of Ti-6Al-4V,” Proceedings of the Institution ofMechanical Engineers Part B – Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Vol.226, A11, pp. 1784-1792, 2012.
-  T. Ishikawa, F. Obata, and K. Inoue, “Wear Mechanism of TiSiNCoated Cutting Tools on High-Speed Cutting of Hardened Die Steel,” JSPE, Vol.75, No.12, pp. 1439-1443, 2009.
-  K. Kubota, “Development of TiBON coating with low friction resistance under high temperature,” FC Report 22, No.4 (Spring), pp. 90-93, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  M. Isaka, H. Usuki, S. Sakamoto, and K. Kubota, “Machining of Difficult-to-cut Materials with a Lubricant Coated Tool,” Key Engineering Materials, Vols.407-408, pp. 53-56, 2009.
-  M. Ishii and T. Kikkawa, “Solid Lubricant – Bron Nitride –,” Journal of Japan Society of Lubrication Engineers, Vol.19, No.10, pp. 702-704, 1974.
-  Q. Guo, K. Okada, and Y. Kimura, “Effect of BN on Lubricating Oil and Grease,” Seisan-kenkyu, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 242-245, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  H. Usuki, K. Sato, M. Moriya, K. Iwata, T. Sawada, K. Kubota, and N. Shima, “End Milling of Difficult-to-cut Materials by Atmosphere Control,” JSPE, Vol.71, No.9, pp. 1120-1124, 2005 (in Japanese).