Development of Polishing Fluids for Titanium Alloy Using Lapping Tape – Effects of Components in the Polishing Fluids on Polishing Characteristics –
Hideyuki Tomoda* and Koichi Kitajima**
*Central Research Institute, NEOS Co.Ltd., 1-1 Oike-cho, Konan, Shiga 520-3213, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Kansai University, 3-3-35 Yamate-cho, Suita, Osaka 564-8680, Japan
To polish to hard-to-cut titanium alloy (Ti-6Al-4V), a method employing a lapping tape is proposed and titanium alloy polishing fluids are developed. The effects of each of the components of a soluble polishing fluid on the polishing characteristics, such as surface roughness, tangential polishing resistance, and stock removal, are investigated through experiments. The results indicate that polishing only with a potassium oleate solution, which is a long-chain fatty acid solution, creates the best surface. A fatty acid is focused on, and the effects on the polishing characteristics of changing the carbon number are studied. As a result, it is found that surface roughness can be suppressed when titanium alloy is polished with only a fatty acid surfactant solution of carbon number 12 or higher.
-  Y. Kimoto, H. Morooka, Y. Kawai, and H. Kamada, “A Study on Mirror Finishing of the Electrolytic-Abrasive Combined Machining (XI), – Finishing Characteristics of Titanium –,” Bull. JSPE, 719, 1988. (in Japanese)
-  H. Kamada, H. Daiku, H. Maehata, and M. Yamamoto, “Mirror Finishing of Titanium Using the Electrolytic-Abrasive Mirror Finishing Method,” The Hitachi Zosen Tech. Rev., 43, 3/4, 84, 1986. (in Japanese)
-  T. Yashiki, Y. Sugisaki, and H. Sato, “Machinig of Titanium, Titanium & Zirconium,” 40, 1, 9, 1992. (in Japanese)
-  H. Sato, “Surface Treatment Technology for Titanium as Architectual Material,” J.SFSJ, 43, 11, 1014, 1992. (in Japanese)
-  H. Tomoda, K. Kitajima, K. Okayama, and H. Ohtsubo, “Development of Polishing Fluids for the Titanium Alloy Utilizing New Lapping Tape (1st Report),” Int. J. JSPE, Vol.31, No.31, 182, 1997.
-  K. Kitajima, K. Okayama, H. Tomoda, and H. Ohtsubo, “Polishing of Titanium Alloy by Using Lapping Tape,” Bull. JSPE, 228, 1996. (in Japanese)
-  T. Yoshida, S. Shindo, T. Ohgaki, and J. Yamanaka, “Handbook of Surfactant,” 116, 1992. (in Japanese)