Identification Method of Dynamic Characteristics of Joints in Jointed Structures
Shinji Shimizu*, Yoshiaki Kabaya*, Haruhisa Sakamoto*,
and Kenichi Yamashita**
*Sophia University, 7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
**ISUZU Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd., 8 Tsutidana, Fujisawa, Kanagawa, Japan
In this paper, we propose a method of identifying the dynamic characteristics of joints in jointed structures. We first consider a joint model for finite element analysis. We then propose, based on the consideration, a method of identifying dynamic characteristic parameters of the joint, such as the spring stiffness and damping coefficient, with the joint model. As a result, we obtain a joint model with the spring and damping elements in vertical and tangential directions between a pair of nodes with changeable numbers and locations. The number and location of these elements can be determined so that the vibration mode and the inertance transfer function of the jointed structure obtained from finite element analysis with infinite stiffness of the spring element agree with those of the structure without joints. In addition, we identify the dynamic characteristic parameters of the joint so the experimental inertance transfer function and vibration mode agree with those obtained from the finite element analysis.
-  Y. Ito and M. Masuko, “Experimental Study on the Optimum Interface Pressure on a Bolted Joint Considering the Damping Capacity,” Proc. of the twelfth int. machine tool design and research conf., pp. 97-105, 1972.
-  S. N. Shoukry and R. H. Thornley, “The Stiffness and Damping of Lubricated Joints Subject to Normal Load,” Proc. of 25th MTDR, pp. 370-377, 1984.
-  C. Dekoninck, “Deformation Properties ofMetallic Contact Surface of Joint under the Influence of Dynamic Tangential Loads,” Int. J. Mach. Tool Des. Res., Vol.12, pp. 193-199, 1972.
-  T. Koizumi, Y. Ito, and M. Masuko, “Evaluation of Damping Capacity on a Bolted Joint,” The Japan society of precision engineering, Vol.46, Issue 3, pp. 338-343, 1980.
-  M. Yoshimura and K. Urakawa, “Measurement of Dynamic Rigidity and Damping Property for a Bolted Joint Model and its Simulation by Computer,” The Japan society of precision engineering, Vol.42, Issue 498, pp. 562-567, 1978.
-  M. Yoshimura, “Identification of Spring Stiffness and Damping Coefficient in Machine Tool Joints: A Method utilizing Measurement and Simulation by Computer for the Simplified Joint Models,” The Japan society of precision engineering, Vol.45, Issue 540, p. 1418, 1979.
-  A. Yamada, T. Kakubari, H. Ebata, and M. Furukawa, “Dynamic Characteristics of Structures with Joint,” The Japan society of mechanical engineers, Vol.49, Issue 438, pp. 182-190, 1983.
-  T. Yang, S.-H. Fan, and C.-S. Lin, “Joint Stiffness Identification Using FRF Measurements,” Comput Struct, Vol.81, pp. 2549-2556, 2003.
-  M. Böswald and M. Link, “Identification of Non-linear Joint Parameters by Using Frequency Response Residuals,” Proc. of the Int. Modal Analysis Conf. IMAC XXIII, Orlando, Florida, USA, 2005.
-  H. Yamamoto, Y. Zheng, and T. Numazaki, “Equivalent Stiffness of Bolted Joint Layer of a Spindle Rotor,” The Japan society of mechanical engineers, Vol.74, Issue 743, pp. 1702-1709, 2008.
-  L. Gaul and J. Becker, “Damping Prediction of Structures with Bolted Joints,” Shock and Vibration, Vol.17, pp. 359-371, 2010.