Predictive Cutting Force Model and Cutting Force Chart for Milling with Cutter Axis Inclination
Takashi Matsumura*, Motohiro Shimada**, Kazunari Teramoto**,
and Eiji Usui*
*Tokyo Denki University, 5 Senjyu Asahi-cho, Adachi-ku, Tokyo 120-8551, Japan
**Toyota Central R&D Labs. Inc., Nagakute, Aichi 480-1192, Japan
A force model for milling with cutter axis inclination is presented. The model predicts the cutting force and chip flow direction. Three-dimensional chip flow is interpreted as a piling up of the orthogonal cuttings in the planes containing the cutting velocities and the chip flow velocities in the inclined coordinate system with a ball end mill. The chip flow direction is determined to minimize the cutting energy consumed into the shear energy on the shear plane and the friction energy on the rake face. Then, the cutting force is predicted in the chip flow determined model. The presented cutting model is verified by comparing the predicted cutting forces to the measured forces in the actual cutting tests. As an advantage of the presented force model, the change in the chip flow direction during one rotation of the cutter is also predicted in the simulation for the cutter axis inclination and the cutting parameters. In the simulation, the effect of cutter axis inclination on the cutting process is discussed in terms of the tool wear and surface finish. The cutting force charts, in which the maximum values of the positive and the negative cutting forces are simulated for the inclination angles, are presented to review the cutter axis inclination. The applicable cutter axis inclination can be determined by taking into account the thresholds of the cutting force components.
-  M. E. Martellotti, “An Analysis of the Milling Process,” Transactions of the ASME, Vol.63, pp. 677-700, 1941.
-  S. Smith and J. Tlusty, “An Overview of Modeling and Simulation of the Milling Process,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.113, pp. 169-175, 1991.
-  K. F. Ehmann, S. G. Kapoor, R. E. DeVor, and I. Lazoglu, “Machining Process Modeling: A Review,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.119, pp. 655-663, 1997.
-  F. Koenigsberger and A. J. P. Sabberwal, “An Investigation into the Cutting Force Pulsations during Milling Operations,” International Journal of Machined Tool and Design Research, Vol.1, pp. 15-33, 1961.
-  E. J. A. Armarego and N. P. Deshpande, “Computerized Predictive Cutting Models for Forces in End Milling Including Eccentricity Effects,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.38, pp. 45-49, 1989.
-  E. J. A. Armarego and N. P. Deshpande, “Computerized End Milling Force Predictions with Cutting Models Allowing Eccentricity and Cutter Deflections,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 25-29, 1990.
-  E. Shamoto and Y. Altintas, “Prediction of Shear Angle in Oblique Cutting,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.121, pp. 399-407, 1991.
-  M. Y. Yang and H. D. Park, “The Prediction of Cutting Force in Ball End Milling,” International Journal of Machine Tool Design and Research, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 45-54, 1991.
-  A. E. Bayoumi, G. Yucesan, and L. A. Kendall, “An Analytical Mechanistic Cutting ForceModel forMilling Operations: A Theory and Methodology,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.116, pp. 324-330, 1994.
-  G. Yucesan and Y. Altintas, “Prediction of Ball End Milling Force,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.118, pp. 95-103, 1996.
-  P. Lee and Y. Altintas, “Prediction of Ball-end Milling Forces from Orthogonal Cutting Data,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.36, No.9, pp. 1059-1072, 1996.
-  I. Lazoglu and S. Y. Liang, “Modeling of Ball-End Milling Forces With Cutter Axis Inclination,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.122, pp. 3-11, 2000.
-  R. Zhu, R. E. DeVor, and S. G. Kapoor, “Mechanistic Modeling of the Ball-End Milling Process for Multi-Axis Machining of Freeform Surfaces,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.123, pp. 369-379, 2001.
-  E. Usui, A. Hirota, and M. Masuko, “Analytical Prediction of Three Dimensional Cutting Process – Part1 Basic Cutting Model and Energy Approach,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.100, pp. 222-228, 1978.
-  A. Hirota and E. Usui, “Analytical Prediction of Cutting Forces in Plain Milling Operation,” Journal of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.44, No.4, pp. 508-514, 1978 (in Japanese).
-  C. L. Tsai and Y. S. Liao, “Prediction of Cutting Forces in Ballend Milling by Means of Geometric Analysis,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.205, pp. 24-33, 2008.
-  T. Matsumura and E. Usui, “Predictive Cutting Force Model in Complex-shaped End Milling Based on Minimum Cutting Energy,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.50, No.5, pp. 458-466, 2010.
-  K. Kasahara, A. Hirota, and S. Akama, “Analysis of Cutting Forces and Mechanism of Chip Formation in Ball End Milling of Inclined Surface (1st Report): Geometric Quantities in Milling Process, Cutting Model and Preliminary Examination,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.74, No.9, pp. 965-970, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  D. Montgomery and Y. Altintas, “Mechanism of Cutting Force and Surface Generation in Dynamic Milling,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.113, pp. 160-168, 1991.
-  T. Matsumura, T. Furuki, and E. Usui, “Prediction of Cutting Process with Curved-Edge End Mill – Application of Ball End Milling Process in Energy Approach,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), Vol.68, No.688, pp. 3396-3402, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. Matsumura, T. Shirakashi, and E. Usui, “Prediction of Milling Process Based on 2D FEM Simulation,” Proceedings of the 9th International ESAFORM Conference on Material Forming, Vol.2, pp. 623-626, 2006.