Fast Detection of Chatter in End-Milling Using Pseudo Auto-Correlation Function
Kenji Shimana*, Eiji Kondo**, Hiroko Karashima**,
and Norio Kawagoishi***
*Kagoshima National College of Technology, 1460-1 Shinko, Hayato-cho, Kirishima-shi, Kagoshima 899-5193, Japan
**Kagoshima University, 1-21-40 Korimoto, Kagoshima 890-0065, Japan
***Daiichi Institute of Technology, 1-10-2 Kokubuchuo, Kirishima-shi, Kagoshima 899-4395, Japan
The chatter vibrations cause problems, such as the reduction of tool life, tool fracture, and a deterioration in the quality of the machined surface. This paper presents a fast detection method for expected chatter in high-speed end-milling. In this study, a pseudo auto-correlation function is applied to tool vibration data sampled at intervals as the spindle rotated at a constant angle. The calculation time for the pseudo auto-correlation function is expected to be shorter than that of the FFT method. As a result, it was indicated that detection reliability under the proposed method was approximately equal to the detection reliability by the previous methods by using tool vibration data sampled at constant intervals of time.
and Norio Kawagoishi, “Fast Detection of Chatter in End-Milling Using Pseudo Auto-Correlation Function,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.6, pp. 728-735, 2012.
-  S. A. Tobias, “Machine Tool Vibrations,” London, Blackie, pp. 143-179, 1965.
-  Y. Altintas, “Manufacturing Automation,” Cambridge University Press, pp. 104-116, 2000.
-  H. Ota, T. Kawai et al., “Monitoring of Cutting Conditions by Means of Vibration Analysis,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Eng., Series C, Vol.57, No.540, pp. 2752-2757, 1991. (in Japanese)
-  M. Rahman, “In-Process Detection of Chatter Threshold,” ASME J. OF ENGINEERING FOR INDUSTRY, Vol.110, pp. 44-50, 1988.
-  M. Higuchi, M. Doi et al., “A Study on the Estimation of the Chatter Commencing in Turning Process,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Eng., Series C, Vol.52, No.477, pp. 1697-1700, 1986. (in Japanese)
-  T. Matsubara, H. Yamamoto et al., “Study on Regenerative Chatter Vibration with Dynamic Cutting Force,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Eng., Vol.50, No.7, p. 1079, 1984. (in Japanese)
-  E. Kondo, H. Ota, and T. Kawai, “A New Method to Detect Regenerative Chatter Using Spectral Analysis, Part I : Basic Study on Criteria for Detection of Chatter,” Trans. ASME, J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.119, pp. 461-466, 1997.
-  K. Shimana, E. Kondo, K. Hagihara, and N. Kawagoishi, “Monitoring of Stability of Dynamic Cutting Process in End-Milling by Measurement of Spindle Head Vibrations,” Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Progress of Machining Technology, pp. 622-627, 2004.
-  Y. Kakinuma, Y. Sudo, T. Aoyama, “Detection of Chatter Vibration in End Milling Applying Disturbance Observer,” Annals of the CIRP 60, pp. 109-112, 2011.
-  E. Kondo, N. Ohara, N. Kawagoishi, and H. Murakami, “Fast Detection of Chatter Vibrations in End-Milling using Correlation Function,” Proc. 4th CIRP Int. Conf. of High Performance Cutting, Vol.2, pp. 265-270, 2010.