Synthesis of Porous Titanium with Directional Pores by Selective Laser Melting
Takayuki Nakamoto*, Nobuhiko Shirakawa*, Kyosuke Kishida**,
Katsushi Tanaka**,***, and Haruyuki Inui**
*Technology Research Institute of Osaka Prefecture, 2-7-1 Ayumino, Izumi-shi, Osaka 594-1157, Japan
**Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Kyoto University, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kobe University, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
-  M. Long and H. J. Rack, “Titanium alloys in total joint replacementa materials science perspective,” Biomaterials, Vol.19, pp. 1621-1639, 1998.
-  N. Niinomi, “Mechanical biocompatibilities of titanium alloys for biomedical applications,” J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater., I, pp. 30-42, 2008.
-  M. E. O’Sullivan, E. Y. Chao, and P. J. Kelly, “The Effects of Fixation on Fracture-Healing,” J. Bone Joint Surg., Vol.71, pp. 306-310, 1989.
-  C. E. Wen, M. Mabuchi, Y. Yamada, K. Shimojima, Y. Chino, and T. Asahina, “Processing of biocompatible porous Ti and Mg,” Scr. Mater., Vol.45, pp. 1147-1153, 2001.
-  I. H. Oh, N. Nomura, N. Masahashi, and S. Hanada, “Mechanical properties of porous titanium compacts prepared by powder sintering,” Scr. Mater., Vol.49, pp. 1197-1202, 2003.
-  N. Nomura, T. Kohama, I. H. Oh, S. Hanada, A. Chiba, M. Kanehira, and K. Sasaki, “Mechanical properties of porous Ti-15Mo-5Zr-3Al compacts prepared by powder sintering,” Mater. Sci. Eng. C, Vol.25, pp. 330-335, 2005.
-  E. Schneider, C. Kinast, J. Eulenberger, D.Wyder, G. Eskilsson, and S.M. Perren, “A comparative study of the initial stability of cementless hip prostheses,” Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res., Vol.248, pp. 200-209, 1989.
-  J. Banhart, “Manufacture, characterisation and application of cellular metals and metal foams,” Prog. Mater. Sci., Vol.46, pp. 559-632, 2001.
-  A. H. Burstein, D. T. Reilly, and M. Martens, “Aging of Bone Tissue: Mechanical Properties,” J. Bone Joint Surg., Vol.58, pp. 82-86, 1976.
-  M. Tane, T. Ichitsubo, H. Nakajima, S. K. Hyun, and M. Hirao, “Elastic properties of lotus-type porous iron: acoustic measurement and extended effective-mean-field theory,” Acta Materialia, Vol.52, pp. 5195-5201, 2004.
-  M. Tane, T. Ichitsubo, S. K. Hyun, and H. Nakajima, “Anisotropic yield behavior of lotus-type porous iron: Measurements and micromechanical mean-field analysis,” J.Mater. Res., Vol.20, pp. 135-143, 2005.
-  S. K. Hyun, T. Ikeda, and H. Nakajima, “Fabrication of lotus-type porous iron and its mechanical properties,” Sci. Tec. Adv. Mat., Vol.5, pp. 201-205, 2004.
-  Y. Higuchi, Y. Ohashi, and H. Nakajima, “Biocompatibility of Lotus-type Stainless Steel and Titanium in Alveolar Bone,” Adv. Eng. Mater., Vol.8, pp. 907-912, 2006.
-  G. N. Levy, R. Schindel, and J. P. Kruth, “Rapid Manufacturing and Rapid Tooling with Layer Manufacturing (LM) Technologies, State of The Art and Future Perspectives,” CIRP Annals, Vol.52, pp. 589-609, 2003.
-  J. P. Kruth, G. Levy, F. Klocke, and T. H. C. Childs, “Consolidation phenomena in laser and powder-bed based layered manufacturing,” CIRP Annals, Vol.56, pp. 730-759, 2007.
-  A. Simchi and H. Asgharzadeh, “Densification and microstructural evaluation during laser sintering of M2 high speed steel powder,” Mater. Sci. Technol., Vol.20, pp. 1462-1468, 2004.
-  A. Simchi and H. Pohl, “Direct laser sintering of iron-graphite powder mixture,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, Vol.383, pp. 191-200, 2004.
-  R. Morgan, C. J. Sutcliffe, and W. O’Neill, “Density analysis of direct metal laser re-melted 316L stainless steel cubic primitives,” J. Mater. Sci., Vol.39, pp. 1195-1205, 2004.
-  M. Rombouts, J. P. Kruth, L. Froyen, and P. Mercelis, “Fundamentals of Selective Laser Melting of alloyed steel powders,” CIRP Annals, Vol.55, pp. 187-192, 2006.
-  T. Nakamoto, N. Shirakawa, Y.Miyata, and H. Inui, “Selective laser sintering of high carbon steel powders studied as a function of carbon content,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.209, pp. 5653-5660, 2009.
-  T. Nakamoto, N. Shirakawa, Y. Miyata, and T. Sone, “Plasma nitriding to selective laser sintering parts made of SCM430 powder,” Surf. Coat. Technol., Vol.202, pp. 5484-5487, 2008.
-  T. Nakamoto, N. Shirakawa, Y. Miyata, T. Sone, and H. Inui, “Selective Laser Sintering and Subsequent Gas Nitrocarburizing of Low Carbon Steel Powder,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, pp. 168-174, 2008.
-  F. Abe, E. C. Santos, K. Osakada, and M. Shiomi, “Influence of forming conditions on the titanium model in rapid prototyping with the selective laser melting process,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol.217, pp. 119-126, 2003.
-  E. C. Santos, K. Osakada, M. Shiomi, Y. Kitamura, and F. Abe, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of pure titanium models fabricated by selective laser melting,” Proc. Instn.Mech. Engrs. Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol.218, pp. 711-719, 2004.
-  A. Fukuda, M. Takemoto, T. Saito, S. Fujibayashi, M. Neo, D. K. Pattanayak, T. Matsushita, K. Sasaki, N. Nishida, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Osteoinduction of porous Ti implants with a channel structure fabricated by selective laser melting,” Acta Biomaterialia, Vol.7, pp. 2327-2336, 2011.
-  R. Stamp, P. Fox, W. O’Neill, E. Jones, and C. Sutcliffe, “The development of a scanning strategy for the manufacture of porous biomaterials by selective laser melting,” J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., Vol.20, pp. 1839-1848, 2009.
-  V. Karageorgiou and D. Kaplan, “Porosity of 3D biomaterial scaffolds and osteogenesis,” Biomaterials, Vol.26, pp. 5474-5491, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.