Using Intermittently Operated Oil Hydraulic Pump Unit with Accumulator to Save Energy
Ken Sugimura and Katsumasa Suzuki
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Tokyo City University, 1-28-1 Tamazutsumi, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 158-8557, Japan
Efforts to save energy have been made in a number of fields due to a shortage of energy resources, such as oil, and a need to protect the earth’s environment. In the field of hydraulics, energy saving pump units are very important because of the energy they consume. At present, a variable displacement-type hydraulic pump units (VD pump unit) and inverter control-type pump units (INV pump unit) are widely used. In this paper, the authors propose using an intermittently operated pump unit coupled with an accumulator (ACC pump unit). First, the electric power consumption, pump output pressure, rotation speed, and efficiency of three types pump units are measured when the same work is done using a modeled machine tool. Next, the load is abstracted to clarify the general characteristics of intermittent work, and the electric power consumption and efficiency of each pump unit are measured. Finally, the static characteristics of each pump unit are measured, and it is verified that the ACC pump unit saves the most energy.
-  K. Stelson, “Saving theWorld’s Energy with Fluid Power,” 8th JFPS Int. Symp. on Fluid Power, Okinawa, Japan, 2011.
-  S. Sgro, M. Inderelst, and H. Murrenhoff, “Energy Efficiency of Mobile Working Machines,” 7th Int. Fluid Power Conf., Aachen, Germany, 2010.
-  Japan hydraulics & pneumatics society, “Hydraulics & pneumatics handbook,” (New Ed.).
-  Japan fluid power system society, “World of oil hydraulic drive.”
-  Uchida, “Consideration for high efficiency,” Hydraulics & pneumatics, Vol.13, No.11, pp. 10-13, 1975.
-  K. Sugimura and K. Suzuki, “Energy Saving of Oil Hydraulic Pump Unit by Idling Stop Method Using an Accumulator,” 7th Int. Fluid Power Conference, Aachen, Germany, 2010.
-  K. Sugimura, S. Ota, T. Doi, K. Suzuki, and K. Nonaka, “Energy saving of hydraulic pump unit by idling stop using accumulator (1st report: Comparison of energy saving among three kinds of pump unit),” J. of the Japan fluid power system society, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 74-80, 2011.
-  K. Sugimura, S. Ota, T. Doi, and K. Suzuki, “Energy Saving of Oil Hydraulic Pump Unit by Idling Stop Method Using an Accumulator,” 12th Scandinavian Int. Conf. on Fluid Power, Tampere, Finland, 2011.
-  Yamazaki Mazak Corporation, “QUICK TURN SMART series Products catalog,” 2011.
-  K. Nakano and Y. Tanaka, “Energy-saving type electro-hydraulic servo system (Speed control of fixed displacement pump),” J. of the Japan hydraulic & pneumatics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 72-79, 1987.
-  K. Nakano and Y. Tanaka, “Energy-saving hydraulic power source with inverter motor drive (2nd report: Two pressure control system),” J. of the Japan hydraulic & pneumatics, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 78-86, 1990.