Energy Saving for Gantry-Type Feed Drives by Synchronous and Contouring Control
Naoki Uchiyama, Yuki Ogawa, and Shigenori Sano
Toyohashi University of Technology, 1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
Because feed drives are widely used day and night in industrial applications such as machine tools and coordinated measuring machines all over the world, not only high-speed and high-precision control but also consumed energy saving is required. This paper presents a controller design to reduce consumed energy for gantry-type feed drives that consist of two linear actuators placed in parallel and one linear actuator placed perpendicular to the two parallel actuators. The proposed design is based on synchronous and contouring controllers. The synchronous controller has been studied for reducing synchronous error between two parallel actuators that causes significant mechanical damage, and the contouring controller has been developed for improving contouring performance, especially in machining applications. Experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed controller, which reduces consumed electrical energy by about 10%.
-  M.-F. Hsieh, W.-S. Yao, and C.-R. Chiang, “Modeling and synchronous control of a single-axis stage driven by dual mechanicallycoupled parallel ball screws,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.34, pp. 933-943, 2007.
-  R. Ramesh, M. A. Mannan, and A. N. Poo, “Tracking and Contour Error Control in CNC Servo Systems,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.45, pp. 301-326, 2005.
-  Y. Koren, “Cross-Coupled Biaxial Control for Manufacturing Systems,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.102, pp. 265-272, 1980.
-  P. K. Kulkarni and K. Srinivasan, “Optimal Contouring Control of Multi-Axis Feed Frive Servomechanism,” ASME J. of Engineering for Industry, Vol.111, pp. 140-148, 1989.
-  G. T.-G. Chiu and M. Tomizuka, “Coordinate Position Control of Multi-Axis Mechanical Systems,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.120, pp. 389-393, 1998.
-  S.-S. Yeh and P.-L. Hsu, “Theory and Applications of the Robust Cross-Coupled Control Design,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.121, pp. 524-530, 1999.
-  R. J. McNab and T.-C. Tsao, “Receding Time Horizon Linear Quadratic Optimal Control for Multi-Axis Contour Tracking Motion Control,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.122, pp. 375-381, 2000.
-  S.-S. Yeh and P.-L. Hsu, “Analysis and Design of Integrated Control for Multi-Axis Motion Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control System Technology, Vol.11, Issue3, pp. 375-382, 2003.
-  S.-L. Chen and K.-C. Wu, “Contouring Control of Smooth Paths for Multiaxis Motion Systems Based on Equivalent Errors,” IEEE Trans. on Control System Technology, Vol.15, Issue6, pp. 1151-1158, 2007.
-  C.-C. Lo and C.-Y. Chung, “Tangential Contouring Controller for Biaxial Motion Control,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.121, pp. 126-129, 1999.
-  G. T.-C. Chiu and M. Tomizuka, “Contouring Control of Machine Tool Feed Drive Systems: A Task Coordinate Frame Approach,” IEEE Trans. on Control System Technology, Vol.9, Issue1, pp. 130-139, 2001.
-  M.-Y. Cheng and C.-C. Lee, “Motion Controller Design for Contour Following Tasks Based on Real-Time Contour Error Estimation,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.54, Issue3, pp. 1686-1695, 2007.
-  C.-C. Peng and C.-L. Chen, “Biaxial Contouring Control with Friction Dynamics Using a Contour Index Approach,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1542-1555, 2007.
-  N. Uchiyama, T. Nakamura, and K. Yamazaki, “Reduction of Consumed Energy and Control Input Variance in Machine Tool Feed Drives by Contouring Control,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 401-407, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.