Generation Mechanism of Quadrant Glitches and Compensation for it in Feed Drive Systems of NC Machine Tools
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kobe University, 1-1 Rokko-dai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
Circular motion tests are commonly used to evaluate the accuracy of the motion of feed drive systems. However, large quadrant glitches are often observed in circular trajectories as the motion changes across the x and y quadrants. It is well known that this phenomenon is caused by friction forces acting on the feed drive mechanism. This paper investigates the generation process of quadrant glitches and proposes a quadrant glitch compensator based on the investigation. As a result of the experiments and simulations, it is clarified that the axis velocity does not stay at zero during direction changes and that the proposed generation mechanism model for quadrant glitches accurately describes actual behavior. It is also confirmed that the proposed friction compensator can eliminate quadrant glitches effectively even if the radius and feed rate change.
-  E. D. Tung, G. Anwar, and M. Tomizuka, “Low Velocity Friction Compensation and Feedforward Solution Based on Repetitive Control,” Trans. of ASME, J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.115, pp. 279-284, 1999.
-  K. Erkorkmaz and Y. Altintas, “High Speed CNC System Design. Part II: Modeling and Identification of Feed Drives,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.41, pp. 1487-1509, 2001.
-  K. Erkorkmaz and Y. Altintas, “High Speed CNC System Design. Part III: High Speed Tracking and Contouring Control of Feed Drives,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.41, pp. 1637-1658, 2001.
-  K. K. Tan, T. H. Lee, S. N. Huang, and X. Jiang, “Friction Modeling and Adaptive Compensation Using a Relay Feedback Approach,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.48, Issue1, pp. 169-176, 2001.
-  X. Mei, M. Tsutsumi, T. Tao and N. Sun, “Study on the Compensation on Error by Stick-Slip for a High-Precision Table,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.44, pp. 503-510, 2004.
-  E.-C. Park, H. Lim, and C.-H. Choi, “Position Control of X-Y Table at Velocity Reversal Using Presliding Friction Characteristics,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.11, Issue1, pp. 24-31, 2003.
-  Y. Suzuki, A. Matsubara, Y. Kakino, and K. Tsutsui, “A Stick Motion Compensation System with a Dynamic Model,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century, pp. 525-528, 2003.
-  R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “Modeling and Controller Tuning Techniques for Feed Drive Systems,” Proc. of the ASME, Dynamic Systems and Control Division, Part A, DSC74-1, pp. 669-679, 2005.
-  J. F. Cuttino, T. A. Dow, and B. F. Knight, “Analytical and Experimental Identification of Nonlinearities in a Single-Nut, Preloaded Ball Screw,” Trans. of the ASME, J. ofMechanical Design, Vol.119, pp. 15-19, 1997.
-  S. Fukada, S. Naruse, and T. Matsumoto, “Studies on Microscopic Behavior of Ball Screw (1st Report) – Fundamental Experiments on Quasi-statical Characteristics –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.7, pp. 1070-1075, 2000. (in Japanese)
-  T. Tanaka, T. Oiwa, and J. Otsuka, “Study on Friction Model of Linear Ball Guideway for Precision Positioning,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.72, No.4, pp. 470-474, 2006. (in Japanese)
-  T. Tanaka, T. Oiwa and J. Otsuka, “Study on Friction Model of Linear Ball Guideway for Precision Positioning Control (2nd Report) – Simulation of Full-closed Loop Control Using Bristle Model –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.73, No.4, pp. 465-469, 2007. (in Japanese)
-  S. Kaneko, R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “Mathematical Model of Linear Motor Stage with Non-Linear Friction Characteristics,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 675-684, 2008.
-  T. Tanaka, T. Oiwa and J. Otsuka, “Control of Precision Positioning Device Using Linear Rolling GuideWay,” Proc. of the 4th Int. Conf. on Positioning Technology, pp. 215-216, 2010.
-  E. Kondo, “High Efficiency and Accuracy of Die and Mold Machining by “MCC 2013 VG”,” Proc. of the 2011 Conference on Die and Mold Technology, pp. 216-217, 2011. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.