Development of a Forging Type Rapid Prototyping System (Relationship Between Hammering Direction and Product Shape)
Keigo Takasugi*, Hidetake Tanaka**, Mami Jono*,
and Naoki Asakawa*
*Kanazawa University, Kakuma, Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa, Japan
**Nagaoka University of Technology, 1603-1 Kamioka-machi, Nagaoka-shi, Niigata, Japan
The study deals with forging type rapid prototyping system that automates metal hammering done by an industrial robot. In order to automate metal hammering work, a CAD/CAM system is required to define product shapes and generate tool paths. However, the hammering process differs from the cutting process in that the hammering errors accumulate. Thus, unsuitable work methods threaten to cause both deterioration of work accuracy and sheet metal fractures. However, the relationship between the effects of errors and hammering results has not yet been fully defined. Hence, in this report, the effects of hammering direction on product shape is taken up to make these relationships clear, and a method to improving work accuracy is proposed in order to reduce the potential source of errors. Finally, the usefulness of the devised method is confirmed experimentally.
and Naoki Asakawa, “Development of a Forging Type Rapid Prototyping System (Relationship Between Hammering Direction and Product Shape),” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.1, pp. 38-45, 2012.
-  K. Kitazawa and A. Nakajima, “Cylindrical Stretch-Expanding of Sheet Metal by CNC Incremental Forming Process,” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.62, No.597 , pp. 2018-2024, 1996.
-  K. Kitazawa, A. Wakabayashi, K. Murata, and K. Yaejima, “Metal-Flow Phenomena in Computerized Numerically Controlled Incremental Stretch-Expanding Aluminum Sheets,” J. Jpn. Inst. Light Met., Vol.46, No.2, pp. 65-70, 1995.
-  K. Kitazawa and M. Nakane, “Hemi-Ellipsoidal Stretch-Expanding of Aluminum Sheet by CNC Incremental Forming Process with Two Path Method,” J. Jpn. Inst. Light Met., Vol.47, No.8, pp. 440-445, 1997.
-  N. Suzuki, K. Takashina, and T. Jinishi, “Super plastic Forming of a Sheet Preformed by Incremental Forming,” J. Jpn. Soc. Technology Plastic, Vol.51, No.592, pp. 445-449, 2010.
-  T. Hasebe and S. Shima, “A Study of Flexible Forming by Hammering,” J. Jpn. Soc. Technology Plastic, Vol.35, No.406, pp. 1323-1329, 1994.
-  M. Matsubara, S. Tanaka, and T. Nakamura, “Forming Process of Spherical Surface by Incremental Press Forming System,” J. Jpn. Soc. Technology Plastic, Vol.35, No.406, pp. 1330-1335, 1994.
-  H. Tanaka, N. Asakawa, T. Shintani, and M. Hirao, “Development of a Forging Type Rapid Prototyping System (Phenomenon in Hammering on the Basis of CAD Data),” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.71, No.711, pp. 3320-3325, 2005.
-  H. Tanaka, N. Asakawa, and M. Hirao, “Forging Type Rapid Prototyping Development – Error Compensation with Shape Measurement –,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 462-467, 2008.
-  L. Piegl, “On NURBS: A Survey,” IEEE CG&A, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 55-71, 1991.
-  Y. Ueda, T. Ishida, and Y. Takeuchi, “Development of CAM System for 5-Axis NURBS Interpolated Machining (NC Data Generation by Generalized Post-Processor),” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.75, No.749, pp. 216-222, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.