Prototype of Manipulator for Micro Objects Employing AZARASHI (Seal) Mechanism as Mobile Platforms
Katsushi Furutani and Taizo Makino
Department of Advanced Science and Technology, Toyota Technological Institute, 12-1 Hisakata 2-chome, Tempaku-ku, Nagoya 468-8511, Japan
This paper deals with an application of a small mobile device, “AZARASHI (seal) Mechanism” to a micromanipulation device. Pick-and-place tasks are very important in small-size-part manufacturing, printedcircuit board testing and biotechnological operations. A prototype of themicromanipulation device with four degrees of freedom was built. The device consists of an L-shaped AZARASHI device for the x-, y– and θ- motions, and a one-degree-of-freedom device used for the z-motion as mobile platforms. By an automatic sequence under visual feedback, glass beads were manipulated. A bright point observed with a videomicroscope was used instead of a target marker to position the stage for flexible usage. In order to trap a small glass bead, the air was gently sucked through a glass capillary. The stage was controlled to track the bright point by a binary image. Then the bead was placed by releasing the pressure to atmospheric one. Error factors were discussed through the evaluation of each step. The positioning accuracy of the stage was within 1 pixel. Adhesion of the beads on the capillary mainly decreased the total positioning accuracy.
-  W. G.May, Jr., “Piezoelectric Electromechanical Translation Apparatus,” US Patent, 3902084, 1975.
-  J. Kim, J. D. Kim, and S. B. Choi, “A hybrid inchworm linear motor,” Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 525-542, 2002.
-  R. Toda and E. H. Yang, “A normally latched, large-stroke, inchworm microactuator,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.17, No.8, pp. 1715-1720, 2007.
-  H. J. Mamin, D. W. Abraham, E. Ganz, and J. Clarke, “Twodimensional, Remote Micropositioner for a Scanning Tunneling Microscope,” Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol.56, No.11, pp. 2168-2170, 1985.
-  T. Higuchi, Y. Yamagata, K. Furutani, and K. Kudoh, “Precise Positioning Mechanism Utilizing Rapid Deformations of Piezoelectric Elements,” Proc. of 1990 IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems Workshop, Napa Valley, CA, USA, pp. 222-226, 1990.
-  S. J. Ball, C. Folsom, and A. B. McLean, “A compact nanopositioning stage with high vibrational eigenfrequencies,” Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol.76, 113702, 2005.
-  J. H. Lee, S. R. Park, and S. H. Yang, “Machining a Micro/Meso Scale Structure Using a Miniaturized Machine Tool by Using a Conventional Cutting Process,” Trans. of ASME, J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.128, No.3, pp. 820-825, 2006.
-  M. Eglin, M. A. Eriksson, and R. W. Carpick, “Microparticle manipulation using inertial forces,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.88, 091913, 2006.
-  O. Fuchiwaki, A. Ito, D. Misaki, and H. Aoyama, “Multi-axial Micromanipulation Organized by Versatile Micro Robots and Micro Tweezers,” Proc. of 2008 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 893-898, 2008.
-  K. Kudoh, S. Tabuchi, and T. Higuchi, “Development of Automatic Micromanipulation System for Biological Sorter,” J. of Mammalian Ova Research, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 167-172, 1998.
-  K. Motoo, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, T. Katsuragi, and K. Itoigawa, “High Sensitive Touch Sensor with Piezoelectric Thin Film for Pipetting Works under Microscope,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.126, No.1, pp. 1-6, 2006.
-  S. J. Ralis, B. Vikramaditya, and B. J. Nelson, “Micropositioning of a Weakly Calibrated Microassembly System Using Coarse-to-fine Visual Servoing Strategies,” IEEE Trans. on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 123-130, 2000.
-  K. Furutani, N. Ohta, and K. Kawagoe, “Coarse and Fine Positioning Performance of L-shaped Seal Mechanism with 3 Degree of Freedom,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 103-111, 2004.
-  K. Furutani, N. Ohta, and K. Iida, “Improvement of Positioning Resolution and Velocity of AZARASHI (SEAL) Mechanism,” Proc. of 10th Int. Conf. on New Actuators, Bremen, Germany, pp. 648-651, 2006.
-  K. Furutani, N. Ohta, and A. Furuta, “Improvement of Resolution of AZARASHI (Seal) Mechanism by Current Pulse Drive,” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.74, No.4, pp. 411-415, 2008.
-  C. Lin, G. Chen, Y. Huang, and J. Chang, “Computer-integrated micro-assembling with image-servo system for a microdroplet ejector,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.201, No.1-3, pp. 689-694, 2008.
-  S. Huang and S. Lin, “Application of visual servo-control X-Y table in color filter cross mark alignment,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.152, No.1, pp. 53-62, 2009.
-  W. S. You, B. J. Choi, B. Kim, H. Moon, J. C. Koo, H. R. Choi, and W. Chung, “Global Localization for a Small Mobile Robot using Magnetic Patterns,” Proc. of 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 2618-2623, 2010.
-  V. Lepetit and P. Fua, “Keypoint Recognition Using Randomized Trees,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.28, No.9, pp. 1465-1479, 2006.
-  Y. Ando, “Micro Grippers,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 214-216, 1992.
-  B. Solano and D. Wood, “Design and Testing of a Polymeric Microgripper for Cell Manipulation,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.84, No.5-8, pp. 1219-1222, 2007.
-  Z. W. Zhong and S. Y. Chan, “Investigation of a gripping device actuated by SMA wire,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.136, No.1, pp. 335-340, 2007.
-  C. Edeler, D. Jasper, C. Diederichs, and S. Fatilow, “Fast and Accurate Pick-and-Place Automation with Nanorobots,” Proc. of 12th Int. Conf. on New Actuators, Bremen, Germany, pp. 397-400, 2010.
-  D. Heriban, M. Gauthier, S. Regnier, N. Chaillet, and P. Lutz, “Automatic pick-and-place of 40 microns objects using a robotic platform,” Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. of European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, San Sebastian, Spain, pp. 515-518, 2009.
-  B. K. Chen, Y. Zhang, and Y. Sun, “Overcoming Adhesion Forces: Active Release of Micro Objects in Micromanipulation,” Proc. of 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Kobe, Japan, pp. 3774-3779, 2009.
-  B. K. Chen, Y. Zhang, and Y. Sun, “Active Release of Microobjects Using a MEMS Microgripper to Overcome Adhesion Force,” J. of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 652-659, 2009.
-  J. Park and W. Moon, “A hybrid-type micro-gripper with an integrated force sensor,” Microsystem Technologies, Vol.9, No.8, pp. 511-519, 2003.
-  M. A. Greminger and B. J. Nelson, “Vision-Based Force Measurement,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 290-298, 2004.
-  M. Nakao, K. Ishii, T. Sato, and Y. Hatamura, “Prototypes of Micro Nontweezing Handling Tools with Releasing Mechanism,” Trans. on Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C, Vol.61, No.583, pp. 1021-1026, 1995.
-  K. Sato, K. Ito, S. Hata, and A. Shimokohbe, “Self-alignment of microparts using liquid surface tension – behavior of micropart and alignment characteristics,” Precision Engineering, Vol.27, No.1, pp. 42-50, 2003.
-  E. Vela, M. Hafez, and S. R’egnier, “Laser-induced thermocapillary convection for mesoscale manipulation,” Int. J. of Optomechatronics, Vol.3, pp. 289-302, 2009.
-  X. Zhou, Z. Liu, and Y. Sun, “Superporous pellicular agarose-glass composite particle for protein adsorption,” Biochemical Engineering J., Vol.34, No.2, pp. 99-106, 2007.
-  Y. Liu, C. H. Yang, and J. Li, “Adhesion and Retention of a Bacterial Phytopathogen Erwinia chrysanthemi in Biofilm-Coated Porous Media,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol.42, No.1, pp. 159-165, 2008.
-  J. Ninomiya, T. Inoue, K. Kudoh, and T. Higuchi, “Development of Artificial Insemination System for Frozen Ovum,” Proc. of 2007 Annual Meeting of American Society of Agriculture and Biological Engineering, 077051, 2007.
-  K. Furutani and K. Kawagoe, “Improvement of Positioning Performance of AZARASHI (Seal) Mechanism with Three Degrees of Freedom,” Trans. of IEE Japan, Vol.126E, No.4, pp. 131-136, 2006.
-  K. Furutani and K. Kawagoe, “Influence of Slope Angle and Traction Load on Performance of AZARASHI (Seal) Mechanism with One Degree of Freedom,” IEEJ Trans. on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 181-187, 2010.
-  R. S. Fearing, “Survey of sticking effects for micro parts handling,” Proc. of 1995 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 212-217, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.