Flexible Process Planning Method for Milling
Eiji Morinaga*, Masayuki Yamada**, Hidefumi Wakamatsu*,
and Eiji Arai*
*Division of Materials & Manufacturing Science, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
This paper concerns the development of flexible Computer-Aided Process Planning (CAPP). In the agile manufacturing which has been strongly promoted, manufacturing situation changes dynamically. Therefore, the CAPP method which can be adaptable to these dynamic changes is required. From this point of view, there has been the method which is mainly composed of the following three steps – (i) decomposing the Total Removal Volume (TRV), (ii) recomposing parts obtained by decomposition, and (iii) extracting an optimal set of parts. Steps (i) and (ii) require a high computational load. We propose solving this problem by focusing on concave parts of the TRV in decomposition. The proposed method is also enhanced toward the multiaxis milling processes. A case study demonstrates the feasibility and effectiveness of our proposal.
and Eiji Arai, “Flexible Process Planning Method for Milling,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.5, pp. 700-707, 2011.
-  L. Alting and H. Zhang, “Computer Aided Process Planning: the state-of-the-art survey,” Int. J. of Production Research, Vol.27, No.4, pp. 553-585, 1989.
-  H. B. Marri, A. Gunasekaran, and R. J. Grieve, “Computer-Aided Process Planning: A State of Art,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 261-268, 1998.
-  W. J. Zhang and S. Q. Xie, “Agent technology for collaborative process planning: a review,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.32, No.3-4, pp. 315-325, 2007.
-  K. Nakamoto, K. Shirase, H.Wakamatsu, A. Tsumaya, and E. Arai, “Automatic Production Planning System to Achieve Flexible Direct Machining,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.47, No.1, pp. 136-143, 2004.
-  G. Han, H.Wakamatsu, A. Tsumaya, and E. Arai, “Flexible Process Planning System Considering Design Intentions and Disturbance in Production Process,” Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Machine Automation, pp. 137-142, 2004.
-  G. Han,M. Koike, H. Wakamatsu, A. Tsumaya, E. Arai, andK. Shirase, “Flexible Process Planning System Considering Design Intentions and Disturbance in Production Process,” Mechatronics for Safety, Security and Dependability in a New Era, Elsevier, pp. 113-118, 2007.
-  E. Arai, H. Wakamatsu, and A. Tsumaya, “Flexible process planning system considering designers’ intentions and manufacturing conditions,” Proc. of the 18th Int. Conf. on Production Research (CD-ROM), 2005.
-  Y. Takeuchi, (Ed.) “Special Issue on Multiaxis Control and Multitasking Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.1, No.2, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.