Development of Flexible Sensors for Measuring Human Motion and Displacement of Novel Flexible Pneumatic Actuator
Tetsuya Akagi*, Shujiro Dohta*, Hiroaki Kuno*,
and Akimasa Fukuhara**
*Department of Intelligent Mechanical Engineering, Okayama University of Science, 1-1 Ridai-cho, Kita-ku, Okayama 700-0005, Japan
**Chikusui Canycom, Inc., 90-1 Fukumasa, Yoshii-machi, Ukiha-shi, Fukuoka 839-1396, Japan
The importance of wearable devices in nursing care and rehabilitation has been strongly recognized. The purpose of our study is to develop a flexible displacement and bending sensor which can measure human movement and the movement of a flexible actuator. In this paper, a skin displacement sensing system using a flexible string-like flexible displacement sensor to measure the body movement, i.e., measuring the displacement of the skin, was proposed and tested. A flexible linear encoder that can measure the displacement of the flexible pneumatic cylinder using four photoreflectors was also developed. In addition, the measurement using both sensors was done to measure the human motion and the flexible actuator.
and Akimasa Fukuhara, “Development of Flexible Sensors for Measuring Human Motion and Displacement of Novel Flexible Pneumatic Actuator,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.5, pp. 621-628, 2011.
-  M. Ishii, K. Yamamoto, and K. Hyodo, “Stand-Alone Wearable Power Assist Suit –Development and Availability–,” J. of Robotics and Mehatronics, Vol.17, No.5, pp. 575-583, 2005.
-  T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, and D. Sasaki, “Development of Power Assist Wear Using Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol. 21, No.5, pp. 607-613, 2009.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Shiban, and Y. Ishida, “Realization of all 7 motions for the upper limb by a muscle suit,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 504-512, 2004.
-  Y. Nagata (Ed.) “Soft Actuators –Forefront of Development–,” NTS Ltd., pp. 291-335, 2004.
-  T. Akagi and S. Dohta, “Development of a Flexible Pneumatic Cylinder with a Flexible Tube,” Proc. of FLUCOME2003, 076, pdf. 1-6, 2003.
-  T. Akagi and S. Dohta, “Development of a Rodless Type Flexble Pneumatic Cylinder and Its Application,” Trans. of the JSME(C), Vol.73, No.731, pp. 2108-2214, 2007.
-  T. Shinohara, S. Dohta, and H. Matsushita, “Development of a Soft Actuator with a Built-in Flexible Displacement Sensor,” Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on New Actuator (Actuator 2004), Germany, pp. 383-386, 2004.
-  I. P. Herman, “Physics of the Human Body,” Springer, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.