A Knowledge-Based Model for Capturing and Managing the Knowledge of CNC Operators for Integrating CAM-CNC Operation
Wikan Sakarinto*, Hiroshi Narazaki**, and Keiichi Shirase*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Kobe University, 1-1 Rokko-dai, Nada, Kobe, Hyogo 657-8501, Japan
**Production Systems Laboratory, Kobe Steel, Ltd., 5-5 Takatsukadai 1-chome, Nishi-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 651-2271, Japan
This study is aimed at filling the gap between CAM and CNC operations. The problem is important in practice but has been rarely addressed in the resarch community. In practice, the machining parameters designed by a CAM operator are not always applicable to the machining process by a CNC operator due to several reasons such as tool wear, in-availability, inefficiency, etc. This is mainly due to the discrepancy of knowledge between CAM and CNC operators. To deal with this situation, this study proposes a knowledgebased model for capturing the know-how of CNC operators in the assessment of the product data (CAM files) produced by CAM operators. The assessment determines whether the designed machining parameters are appropriate or not before proceeding further to the machining process. This assessment is the main process where the know-how of a CNC operator is actualized. Based on the data extracted from CAM files, this study discusses a method that captures the knowledge of CNC operators in the process of an assessment. In this work, the discussion is focused on common CNC milling operations.
-  N. Moran, “Knowledge is the Key,Whatever Your Sector,” UK: The Financial Time Limited, 1999.
-  H. F. Wang and Y. L. Zhang, “CAD/CAM, Integrated system in collaborative development environment,” Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing 18 (2002), pp. 135-145, 2001.
-  W. Sakarinto, H. Narazaki, and K. Shirashe, “A Knowledge-Based Product Model Data for Integrating CAMCNC Operation,” Proc. of The 5th Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century (LEM21 2009 Osaka), 2009.
-  W. Sakarinto, H. Narazaki, and K. Shirashe, “A Method for Capturing The Knowledge of CNC Operator for Integrating CAM-CNC Operation,” Proc. of 2010 Int. Symposium on Flexible Automation (2010 ISFA Tokyo-Japan), 2010.
-  Y. Koren, “Computer Control of Manufacturing Systems,” McGraw-Hill, New York, 1983.
-  S. C. Park, “Knowledge Capturing Methodology in Process Planning,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.35, Issue 12, pp. 1109-1117, 2003.
-  B. J. Hicks, S. J. Culley, R. D. Allen, and G. Mullineux, “A Framework for the Requirements of Capturing, Storing and Reusing Information and Knowledge in Engineering Design,” Int. J. of Information Management 22, pp. 263-280, 2002.
-  B. Ramesh and A. Tiwana, “Supporting Collaborative Process Knowledge Management in New Product Development Teams,” Decision Support Systems 27, pp. 213-235, 1999.
-  P. Brezillon, “Context in Problem Solving: a Survey,” The Knowledge Engineering Review, Vol.14, pp. 1-34, 1999.
-  M. R. S. Borges, J. A. Pino, and R. M. Araujo, “Common Context for Decisions and Their Implementations,” Group Decision and Negotiation, Vol.15, pp. 221-242, 2006.
-  A. Abecker, A. Bernardi, K. Hinkelmann, O. Kuhn, and M. Sintek, “Context-Aware, Proactive Delivery of Task-Specific Information: The KnowMore Project,” J. of Information System Frontiers, Vol.2, Issue 3-4, 2000.
-  J. V. D. Bussche and A. Heuer, “Using SQL with Object-Oriented Database,” Information Systems, Vol.18, Issue 7, pp. 461-487, 1993.
-  J. A. Hoffer, M. B. Prescott, and F. R. McFadden, “Modern Database Management,” Pearson-Prentice Hall, 2005.
-  G. Schreiber, H. Akkermans, A. Anjewierden, R. D. Hoog, N. Shadbolt, W. V. D. Velde, and B. Wielinga, “Knowledge Engineering and Management: The CommonKADS Methodology,” A Bradford Book, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, London, England, 2000.
-  D. N. Dormaz and B. Khoshnevis, “Process Planning Knowledge Representation an Object-Oriented Data Model,” Int. J. of Computer in Manufacturing 1997, 10(1-4), pp. 92-104, 1997.
-  L. T. Wilson and C. A. Snyder, “Knowledge Management and IT: How are They Related?,” IT Pro, pp. 73-75, 1999.
-  F. Kimura, H. Ariyoshi, H. Ishikawa, Y. Naruko, and H. Yamato, “Capturing Expert Knowledge for Supporting Design and Manufacturing of Injection Molds,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturiing Technology, Vol.53, Issue 1, pp. 147-150, 2004.
-  T. Rochim, “Klasifikasi, Proses, Gaya & Daya Pemesinan,” Penerbit ITB, 1993.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.