Quantitative Performance Analysis of Exoskeleton Augmenting Devices - Muscle Suit - for Manual Worker
Yoshiki Muramatsu, Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Yutaka Sato,
He Jiaou, Takuya Hashimoto, and Hiroshi Kobayashi
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo University of Science, 1-14-6 Kudankita, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0073, Japan
-  R. A. Heinlein, “Starship Troopers,” New York, Putnam, 1959.
-  G. L. Cobb, “Walking motion,” U.S. Patent 2 010 482, 1935.
-  P. Filippi, “Device for the automatic control of the articulation of the knee applicable to a prosthesis of the thigh,” U.S. Patent 2 305 291, 1942.
-  J. H. Murphy, “Leg brace,” U.S. Patent 2 573 866, 1951.
-  D. Hristic, M. Vukobratovic, and M. Timotijevic, “New model of autonomous’active suit’ for distrophic patients,” in Proc. Int. Symp. External Control Hum. Extremities, 1981, pp. 33-42, 1981.
-  A. Seireg and J. G. Grundmann, “Design of a multitask exoskeletal walking device for paraplegics,” in Biomechanics of Medical Devices, New York, Marcel Dekker, 1981, pp. 569-644, 1981.
-  K. Kong and D. Jeon, “Design and control of an exoskeleton for the elderly and patients,” IEEE/ASME Trans.Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 428-432, Aug. 2006.
-  Y. Mori, J. Okada, and K. Takayama, “Development of straight style transfer equipment for lower limbs disabled “ABLE”,” in Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Adv. Intell. Mechatronics, 2005, pp. 1176-1181, 2005.
-  N. Costa and D. G. Caldwell, “Control of a biomimetic “softactuated” 10 DoF lower body exoskeleton,” in Proc. 1st IEEE/RASEMBS Int. Conf. Biomed. Robot. Biomechatronics (BioRob), Pisa, Italy, Feb. 2006, pp. 495-501, 2006.
-  M. W. Thring, “Robots and Telechirs: Manipulators With Memory; Remote Manipulators; Machine Limbs for the Handicapped,” Chichester, U.K., Ellis Horwood, 1983.
-  D. C. Johnson, D. W. Repperger, and G. Thompson, “Development of a mobility assist for the paralyzed, amputee, and spastic patient,” in Proc. 1996 Southern Biomed. Eng. Conf., pp. 67-70, 1996.
-  C. Acosta-Marquez and D. A. Bradley, “The analysis, design, and implementation of a model of an exoskeleton to support mobility,” in Proc. 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. Rehabil. Robot. (ICORR), pp. 99-102, 2005.
-  E. Rocon, J. M. Belda-Lois, A. F. Ruiz, M. Manto, J. C. Moreno, and J. L. Pons, “Design and Validation of a Rehabilitation Robotic Exoskeleton for Tremor Assessment and Suppression,” IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON NEURAL SYSTEMS AND REHABILITATION ENGINEERING, Vol.15, No.3, September 2007, pp. 367-378, 2007.
-  G. Rosati, P. Gallina, and S. Masiero, “Design, Implementation and Clinical Tests of a Wire-Based Robot for Neurorehabilitation,” IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON NEURAL SYSTEMS AND REHABILITATION ENGINEERING, Vol.15, No.4, December 2007, pp. 560-569, 2007.
-  C. G. Burgar, P. S. Lum, P. C. Shor, H. F. Machiel Van der Loos, “Development of robots for rehabilitation therapy: The Palo Alto VA/Stanford experience,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.37, No.6, November/December 2000, pp. 663-673, 2000.
-  R. S. Mosher, “Handyman to Hardiman,” Soc. Autom. Eng. Int. (SAE), Detroit MI, Tech. Rep. 670088, 1967.
-  K. E. Gilbert, “Exoskeleton prototype project: Final report on phase I,” General Electric Company, Schenectady, NY, GE Tech. Rep. S-67-1011, 1967.
-  K. E. Gilbert and P. C. Callan, “Hardiman I prototype,” General Electric Company, Schenectady, NY, GE Tech. Rep. S-68-1081, 1968.
-  B. R. Fick and J. B. Makinson, “Hardiman I prototype for machine augmentation of human strength and endurance: Final report,” General Electric Company, Schenectady, NY, GE Tech. Rep. S-71-1056, 1971.
-  E. Guizzo and H. Goldstein, “The rise of the body bots,” IEEE Spectr., Vol.42, No.10, pp. 50-56, Oct. 2005.
-  G. T. Huang, “Wearable robots,” Technol. Rev., pp. 70-73, Jul./Aug. 2004.
-  “2006 ARO in review,” U.S. Army Research Laboratory, U.S. Army Research Office, Adelphi, MD, 2006.
-  H. Kazerooni and R. Steger, “The Berkeley Lower Extremity Exoskeleton,” Trans. ASME, J. Dyn. Syst., Meas., Control, Vol.128, pp. 14-25, Mar. 2006.
-  H. Kawamoto and Y. Sankai, “Power assist system HAL-3 for gait disorder person,” in Proc. Int. Conf. Comput. Helping People Special Needs (ICCHP) (Lecture Notes on Computer Science), Vol.2398, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2002.
-  H. Kawamoto, S. Lee, S. Kanbe, and Y. Sankai, “Power assist method for HAL-3 using EMG-based feedback controller,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Syst., Man, Cybern., 2003, pp. 1648-1653.
-  K. Suzuki, G. Mito, H. Kawamoto, Y. Hasegawa, Y. Sankai, “Intention-Based Walking Support for Paraplegia Patients with Robot Suit HAL,” Advanced Robotics Vol.21, No.12, 2007, pp. 1441-1469.
-  A. Tsukahara, R. Kawanishi, Y. Hasegawa, Y. Sankai, “Sit-to-Stand and Stand-to-Sit Transfer Support for Complete Paraplegic Patients with Robot Suit HAL,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.24, No.11, pp. 1615-1638, 2010.
-  C. J. Walsh, K. Pasch, and H. Herr, “An autonomous, under actuated exoskeleton for load-carrying augmentation,” in Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intell. Robots Syst. (IROS), Beijing, China, 2006, pp. 1410-1415, 2006.
-  C. J. Walsh, D. Paluska, K. Pasch, W. Grand, A. Valiente, and H. Herr, “Development of a lightweight, under actuated exoskeleton for loadcarrying augmentation,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., Orlando, FL, 2006, pp. 3485-3491, 2006.
-  C. J. Walsh, K. Endo, and H. Herr, “Quasi-passive leg exoskeleton for load-carrying augmentation,” Int. J. Hum. Robot. Vol.4, No.3, pp. 487-506.
-  H. Kobayashi, D. Matsushita, Y. Ishida, and K. Kikuchi, “New Robot Technology Concept Applicable to Human Physical Support – The Concept and Possibility of theMuscle Suit (Wearable Muscular Support Apparatus) –,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14 No.1, pp. 46-53, 2002.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Shiiban, and Y. Ishida, “Realization of All 7 Motionsfor the Upper Limb by a Muscle Suit,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 504-512, 2004.
-  H. Kobayashi and H. Suzuki, “Development of a New Shoulder Mechanism for a Muscle Suit,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots & Systems (IROS’05) TAII-13, 2005, pp. 2727-2732, 2005.
-  K. Hiroshi and N. Hirokazu, “Development of Muscle Suit for Supporting Manual Worker,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Robot and Systems, 2007, pp. 1769-1774, 2007.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Aida, and T. Hashimoto, “Muscle Suit Development and Factory Application,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 709-715, 2009.
-  National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health:
-  European Agency for Safety and Health at Work
-  C. P. Chou and B. Hannaford, “Measurement and Modelling of McKibben Pneumatic Artificial Muscles,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.12, pp. 90-102, Feb. 1996.
-  H. F. Schulte Jr, “The characteristics of the McKibben artificial muscle,” In The Application of external power in prosthetics and orthotics, National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington D. C., 1961.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.