Ultrasonic-Assisted Grinding of Ultra-High Purity SUS 316L
Keita Shimada*, Nobuhito Yoshihara**, Jiwang Yan*,
Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa*, Yuichiro Sueishi***,
and Hideshi Tezuka***
*Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki-aza, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
**Iwate University, 4-3-5 Ueda, Morioka, Iwate 020-8551, Japan
***Tokyo Electric Power Company, 4-1 Egasaki-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230-8510, Japan
Ultra-High Purity (UHP) alloys providing such excellent properties as high corrosion resistance and toughness are difficult to machine efficiently due to these very properties. To improve machining efficiency, we applied ultrasonic-assisted micro-grinding to UHP alloy machining. We discuss the theoretical model we built of ultrasonic-assisted grinding to study grinding force using statistical calculation. We theoretically estimated and experimentally confirmed the effect of ultrasonic assistance on reducing grinding force.
-  J. Kumabe, “Ultrasonic Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.27, No.6, pp. 369-371, 1961.
-  M. Nomura, Y. Wu, M. Kato, andT. Kuriyagawa, “Effect of Ultrasonic Vibration in the Truing and Dressing of CBN Grinding Wheel used for Internal Grinding of Small Holes,” Key Engineering Materials, 291-292, 183-188, 2005.
-  Y. Tanaka, H. Tsuwa, and A. Yano, “Study on the Fine Finishing by an Ultrasonically Vibrated Abrasive Stone (2nd Report), On the Fine Finishing Resistance,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.30, No.3, pp. 253-258, 1964.
-  K. Umino, K. Nishimura, A. Minagawa, and H. Tmomori, “The Trial Construction of Ultrasonic Grinding Equipment and the Machining Characteristics,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.52, No.1, pp. 107-113, 1986.
-  S. Matsui and K. Shoji, “Statistical Approach to Grinding Mechanism, Undeformed Chip Length in Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.36, No.421, pp. 115-120, 1970.
-  S. Matsui and K. Shoji, “Statistical Approach to Grinding Mechanism (2nd Report), Grain Depth of Cut in Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.36, No.422, pp. 196-201, 1970.
-  S. Matsui and K. Shoji, “Statistical Approach to Grinding Mechanism (3rd Report), On a Few Experiments,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.36, No.422, pp. 196-201, 1971.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.