Fabrication of Elbow Pipe by Direct Metal Lamination Using Arc Discharge While Maintaining the Molten Pool in a Horizontal Position
Toshihito Kamioka, Syuhei Ishikawa, and Hiroyuki Sasahara
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
Direct fabrication machines have recently been put to practical use for metal products. However, there have been some problems. The devices and usable materials are very expensive, there are limits to the materials, and the strength of the materials is inferior to that of bulk materials, among other problems. The present study aims at the development of a near net shape fabrication machine using an arc discharge that always keeps the molten pool horizontal during the accumulation of layers. This is in order to enable the fabrication of an overhanging shape with good accuracy. During the fabrication of the elbow shape, it is necessary to gradually change the torch velocity and the attitude of the molten pool. In this study, we tried to clarify the relationship between torch speed and layer thickness. Finally, the fabricated elbow tube is shown.
-  “Manufacturing of overhanging shape by direct metal rapid fabrication using arc welding –Influence of inclination angle on solidification process at accumulating point–,” The 7th Manufacturing & Machine Tool Conf., pp. 162-163, 2008.
-  H. Sasahara, T. Matsumaru, T. Kamioka, K. Tanaka, and R. Yoshimaru, “Fabrication of an Inclined Wall by the Direct Metal Rapid Fabrication using Arc Welding,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, 75, 757, pp. 2435-2439, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  Ando, Hasegawa, “Welding arc phenomenon (augmented edition),” 2nd chapter, SANPO PUBLICATIONS, INC, 1996.
-  Y.-A. Song, S. Park, and S. W. Chae, “3D welding and milling: part II – optimization of the 3D welding process using an experimental design approach,” Intemational J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 45, 9, pp. 1063-1069, 2005.
-  T. Shinoda, C. Hayashi, and Y, Kato, “Study on the Rapid Tooling Method Using Plasma Transferred Arc,” Preprints of the National Meeting of JWS, 65, pp. 448-449, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  D. Clark, M. R. Bache, and M. T. Whittaker, “Shaped metal deposition of a nickel alloy for aero engine applications,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, 203, 1-3, pp. 439-448, 2008.
-  K. Naoyoshi, “Foundation of welding connecting process,” SANPO PUBLICATIONS, INC, pp. 179-180, 1996.
-  Japan Patent Office, “Patent Map Mechanical 3 Arc Welding Technology,” 1.2 (2).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.