Estimation of Machining Accuracy by Measurement of Surface Texture Pattern
Kouichi Tozawa*, Naohito Toida**, Yoshikazu Kobayashi***,
and Kenji Shirai***
*College of Engineering and Design, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-9-14 Shibaura, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8548, Japan
**Makino Milling Machine Co., Ltd., 3-19 Nakane 2-chome, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8578, Japan
***College of Engineering, Nihon University, 1 Nakagawara, Tokusada, Tamuramachi, Koriyama, Fukushima 963-8642, Japan
Measuring the accuracy of machining done on machine tools efficiently is always a problem. Measurement in three dimensions is also a problem in terms of the so called “lead time” in the manufacturing process. We propose a new approach that can, in a limited time, use a CCD camera installed in a machine tool for image-processing and precisely measure the machining accuracy of constantly changing texture patterns created by ball-end milling. This paper has led to the development of hands-on measurement of machining accuracy. Its usefulness and reliability are verified by both simulation of machining accuracy and the actual process of measurement.
-  A. Takasaki, T. Abe, K. Kanda, K. Matsuoka, and K. Watanabe,“Development of High-speed Die Sinking Technology (1) – Analysis of Ball End Mill Cutting Mechanism,” Toyota Technical Review, Vol.37, No.2, p. 227, 1987.
-  K. Nait, K. Ohgo, T. Konaga, T. Abe, K. Kanda, and K. Matsuoka,“Development of Ball End Milling for Fine Finish, High-efficiency,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.59, No.4, p. 649, 1993.
-  S. Kouda,“Recent Mould Finish Processing Technology,” Science of Machine, Vol.40, No.10, p. 107, 1988.
-  N. Koreta, T. Egawa, M. Kuroda, K. Watanabe, and Y. Ii, “Analysis of Surface Roughness Generation by Ball Endmill Machining,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.59, No.9, p. 1537, 1993.
-  T. Senba, H. Higa, and B. J. Stone,“Surface Texturing Using Grinding with Ultrasonic Longitudinal Vibration,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.5, p. 1431, 2003.
-  K. Yanagi, T. Kuwabara, and K. Tanaka,“Micro Texture Measurement and Characterization of Ultra Precision Machined Highly-Functional Surface,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.56, No.5, p. 900, 1990.
-  K. Tozawa, N. Toida, Y. Kobayashi, and K. Shirai,“Estimation of Machining Accuracy by Measurement of Surface Texture Pattern,” ASPE, CD-R, 5p., 2005.
-  S. Shunsuke, Y. Kobayashi, K. Shirai, and K. Tozawa, “Study of Improvement of Accuracy in End Mill Machining,” ASPE, CD-R, 5p., 2007.
-  Kobayashi, K. Shirai, S. Masaaki, and K. Tozawa,“Development of Surface Texturing System by Mechanical Machining,” ASPE, CD-R, 5p., 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.