Estimation of Machining Accuracy by Measurement of Surface Texture Pattern
Kouichi Tozawa*, Naohito Toida**, Yoshikazu Kobayashi***,
and Kenji Shirai***
*College of Engineering and Design, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-9-14 Shibaura, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8548, Japan
**Makino Milling Machine Co., Ltd., 3-19 Nakane 2-chome, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8578, Japan
***College of Engineering, Nihon University, 1 Nakagawara, Tokusada, Tamuramachi, Koriyama, Fukushima 963-8642, Japan
Measuring the accuracy of machining done on machine tools efficiently is always a problem. Measurement in three dimensions is also a problem in terms of the so called “lead time” in the manufacturing process. We propose a new approach that can, in a limited time, use a CCD camera installed in a machine tool for image-processing and precisely measure the machining accuracy of constantly changing texture patterns created by ball-end milling. This paper has led to the development of hands-on measurement of machining accuracy. Its usefulness and reliability are verified by both simulation of machining accuracy and the actual process of measurement.
and Kenji Shirai, “Estimation of Machining Accuracy by Measurement of Surface Texture Pattern,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.5, pp. 415-421, 2010.
-  A. Takasaki, T. Abe, K. Kanda, K. Matsuoka, and K. Watanabe,“Development of High-speed Die Sinking Technology (1) – Analysis of Ball End Mill Cutting Mechanism,” Toyota Technical Review, Vol.37, No.2, p. 227, 1987.
-  K. Nait, K. Ohgo, T. Konaga, T. Abe, K. Kanda, and K. Matsuoka,“Development of Ball End Milling for Fine Finish, High-efficiency,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.59, No.4, p. 649, 1993.
-  S. Kouda,“Recent Mould Finish Processing Technology,” Science of Machine, Vol.40, No.10, p. 107, 1988.
-  N. Koreta, T. Egawa, M. Kuroda, K. Watanabe, and Y. Ii, “Analysis of Surface Roughness Generation by Ball Endmill Machining,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.59, No.9, p. 1537, 1993.
-  T. Senba, H. Higa, and B. J. Stone,“Surface Texturing Using Grinding with Ultrasonic Longitudinal Vibration,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.5, p. 1431, 2003.
-  K. Yanagi, T. Kuwabara, and K. Tanaka,“Micro Texture Measurement and Characterization of Ultra Precision Machined Highly-Functional Surface,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.56, No.5, p. 900, 1990.
-  K. Tozawa, N. Toida, Y. Kobayashi, and K. Shirai,“Estimation of Machining Accuracy by Measurement of Surface Texture Pattern,” ASPE, CD-R, 5p., 2005.
-  S. Shunsuke, Y. Kobayashi, K. Shirai, and K. Tozawa, “Study of Improvement of Accuracy in End Mill Machining,” ASPE, CD-R, 5p., 2007.
-  Kobayashi, K. Shirai, S. Masaaki, and K. Tozawa,“Development of Surface Texturing System by Mechanical Machining,” ASPE, CD-R, 5p., 2004.