Model Based Feedrate Scheduling for Free-Form Surface Machining
Yaman Boz, Onur Demir, and Ismail Lazoglu
Mechanical Engineering Department, Manufacturing and Automation Research Center, Koc University, Sariyer, Istanbul 34450, Turkey
Free-form surfaces are commonly used in the automotive, aerospace, biomedical, home appliance, and die/mold industries. Minimizing cycle times is crucial for free-form surface machining in today’s competitive market. Although there have been remarkable enhancements in the CAD/CAM industry, these enhancements lack physical insight into machining processes. This article presents a model-based feedrate scheduling strategy for 3-axis machining of free-form surfaces. In feedrate scheduling strategy, cycle time is minimized by off-line control of cutting forces under a threshold value between specified feedrate values. Using tool deflection analysis, surface form error can also be predicted. The proposed approaches are tested under various machining conditions and the results are presented in the paper.
-  I. Lazoglu, C. Manav, and Y. Murtezaoglu, “Toolpath optimization for freeform surface machining,” CIRP annals, Vol.58, pp. 101-104, 2009.
-  M. Kaymakci and I. Lazoglu, “Toolpath selection strategies for complex sculptured surface machining,” Machining Science and Technology, Vol.12, pp. 119-132, 2008.
-  B. U. Guzel and I. Lazoglu, “Increasing Productivity in Sculpture Surface Machining via Off-line Piecewise Variable Feedrate Scheduling Based on the Force System Model,” International Journal of Machine Tools Manufacture, Vol.44, pp. 21-28, 2004.
-  H. Erdim, I. Lazoglu, and M. Kaymakci, “Free-form Surface Machining and Comparing Feedrate Scheduling Strategies,” Machining Science and Technology, An International Journal, Taylor & Francis Group, Vol.11, Issue 1, pp. 117-133, 2007.
-  K. K.Wang, “Solid modeling for optimizing metal removal of threedimensional NC end milling,” Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol.7, pp. 57-65, 1988.
-  Z. Yazar, F. Koch, T. Merrick, and T. Altan, “Feedrate optimization based on cutting force calculations in-axis milling of dies and molds with sculptured surfaces,” International Journal ofMachine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.34, No.3, pp. 365-377, 1994.
-  H-Y., Feng and N. Su, “Integrated toolpath and feedrate optimization for the finishing machining of 3D plane surfaces,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.40, No.11, pp. 1557-1572, 2000.
-  R. B. Jerard, B. K. Fussell, J. G. Hemmett, and M. T. Ercan, “Toolpath feedrate optimization: A case study,” Proceedings of the 2000 NSF Design & Manufacturing Research Conference, Jan 3-6, 2000. Vancouver, British Columbia, 2000.
-  W. S. Yun, J. H. Ko, H. U. Lee, D. W. Cho, and F. E. Kornel, “Development of a virtual machining system, part 3: cutting process simulation in transient cuts,” International Journal ofMachine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.12, No.42, pp. 1617-1626, 2002.
-  J. H. Ko, W. S. Yun, and D. W. Cho, “Off-line feedrate scheduling using virtual CNC based on an evaluation of cutting performance,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.35, No.4, pp. 383-393, 2003.
-  M. Lim and M. C. Hsiang, “Integrated planning for precision machining of complex surfaces, Part 1: cutting-path and feedrate optimization,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.37, pp. 61-75, 1997.
-  B. Ozturk and I. Lazoglu, “Machining of Free-Form Surfaces – Part I: Analytical Chip Load,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Elsevier Science Ltd., Vol.46, pp. 728-735, 2006.
-  H. Erdim, I. Lazoglu, and B. Ozturk, “Feedrate scheduling strategies for free-form surfaces,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 747-757, 2006.
-  M. Kaymakci, I. Lazoglu, and Y. Murtezaoglu, “Machining of Complex Sculptured Surfaces with Feedrate Scheduling,” International Journal of Manufacturing Research, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 157-175, 2006.
-  L. Zhang, J. Feng, Y. Wang, and M. Chen, “Feedrate scheduling strategy for free-form surface machining through an integrated geometric and mechanistic model,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.40, pp. 1191-1201, 2009.
-  S. D. Merdol and Y. Altintas, “Virtual Simulation and Optimization of Milling Applications – Part II: Optimization and Feedrate Scheduling,” ASME J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.130, p. 051005, 2008.
-  S. D. Merdol and Y. Altintas, “Virtual cutting and optimization of three-axis milling processes,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.48, No.10, pp. 1063-1071, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.