FE Analysis of One-Directional and Elliptical Vibration Cutting Processes
Saeid Amini*, Eiji Shamoto**, Norikazu Suzuki**, and Mohammad Javad Nategh***
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Najafabad, Esfahan, Iran
**Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University, Jalal-e Al-e Ahmad Boulevard, P.O. Box 14115-143, Tehran, Iran
Processes of one-directional vibration cutting, elliptical vibration cutting and conventional cutting are modelled by using MSC-Marc FEM software in the present study. The vibration is assumed to be applied to a rigid cutting tool in the cutting direction for the one-directional vibration cutting and in the cutting and thrust directions for the elliptical vibration cutting. Then, the cutting forces and the stresses generated within the workpiece during the abovementioned processes are estimated by applying the developed FE model, and their cutting mechanics are discussed. Influence of various process parameters such as speed ratio, amplitudes and phase difference is subsequently investigated. The simulated results are also compared with some experimental data published in the literature.
-  J. Kumabe and M. Masuko, “Study on the ultrasonic cutting (1st report),” Trans. JSME, Vol.24, No.138, pp. 109-114, 1958 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kumabe, “Fundamentals and applications of vibration cutting,” Jikkyo publishing, Tokyo, 1979 (in Japanese).
-  T.Moriwaki, E. Shamoto, and K. Inoue, “Ultraprecision ductile cutting of glass by applying ultrasonic vibration,” Ann. CIRP, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 141-144, 1992.
-  V. I. Babitsky, A. N. Kalashnikov, and A.Meadows, “Ultrasonically assisted turning of aviation materials,” J. Mat. Proc. Tech., Vol.132, pp. 157-167, 2003.
-  E. Shamoto and T. Moriwaki, “Fundamental study on elliptical vibration cutting,” Proc. of the 8th Annual Meeting, ASPE, pp. 162-165, 1993.
-  E. Shamoto and T.Moriwaki, “Study on elliptical vibration cutting,” Ann. CIRP, Vol.43, No.1, pp. 35-38, 1994.
-  E. Shamoto, Y. Morimoto, and T. Moriwaki, “Elliptical Vibration Cutting (1st Report, Cutting Principle and Basic Performance),” J. JSPE, Vol.62, No.8, pp. 1127-1131, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  E. Shamoto, Y. Morimoto, and T. Moriwaki, “Elliptical vibration cutting (2nd Report, Study on effects of vibration conditions),” J. JSPE, Vol.65, No.3, pp. 411-417, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  E. Shamoto, C. X. Ma, and T. Moriwaki, “Elliptical vibration cutting (3rd Report, Application to three-dimensional cutting and investigation of practical effects),” J. JSPE, Vol.65, No.4, pp. 586-591, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  E. Shamoto and T. Moriwaki, “Ultaprecision Diamond Cutting of Hardened Steel by Applying Elliptical Vibration Cutting,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.48, pp. 441-444, 1999.
-  N. Suzuki, M. Haritani, J. Yang, R. Hino, and E. Shamoto, “Elliptical Vibration Cutting of Tungsten Alloy Molds for Optical Glass Parts,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.56 pp. 127-130, 2007.
-  J. Kumabe, S. Fuchizawa, T. Soutome, Y. Soutome, and Y. Nishimoto, “Ultrasonic superposition vibration cutting of ceramics,” Precision Eng., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 71-77, 1989.
-  A. V. Mitrofanov, V. I. Babitsky, and V. V. Silberschmidt, “Finite element simulations of ultrasonically assisted turning,” Computational Materials Science, Vol.28, pp. 645-653, 2003.
-  A. V. Mitrofanov, V. I. Babitsky, and V. V. Silberschmidt, “Finite element analysis of ultrasonically assisted turning of Inconel 718,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.153-154, pp. 233-239, 2004.
-  A. V. Mitrofanov, N. Ahmed, V. I. Babitsky, and V. V. Silberschmidt, “Effect of lubrication and cutting parameters on ultrasonically assisted turning of Inconel 718,” J. Mat. Proc. Tech., Vol.162-163, pp. 649-654, 2005.
-  S. Amini, H. Solaimanimehr, M. J. Nategh, A. Abodollah, and M. H. Sadeghi, “FEM analysis of ultrasonic-vibration-assisted turning and the vibratory tool,” J. Mat. Proc. Tech., Vol.20, pp. 43-47, 2008.
-  N. Ahmed, A. V. Mitrofanov, V. I. Babitsky, and V. V. Silberschmidt, “Analysis of material response to ultrasonic vibration loading in turning Inconel 718,” J. Mat. Scince. Eng., Vol.424, pp. 318-325, 2006.