Advances in the TUT Microfactory Concept Development
Riku Heikkilä, Eeva Järvenpää, and Reijo Tuokko
Department of Production Engineering, Tampere University of Technology, Korkeakoulunkatu 6, 33720 Tampere, Finland
Microassembly, micromanufacturing and microfactories are currently widely studied around the world. Tampere University of Technology (TUT) has had a strong background on microfactory research since 1999. This paper summarizes the results of the microfactory research accomplished at TUT during the recent projects. The paper introduces the TUT microfactory concept and discusses the demonstrations from the areas of assembly, laser machining and medical applications realized with TUT microfactory concept. It also presents some conceptual ideas for the factory level logistics of microfactory systems.
-  Y. Okazaki, N.Mishima, and K. Ashida, “Microfactory – Concepts, History, and Developments.” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.126, pp. 837-844, November 2004.
-  R. Heikkilä, A. Huttunen, A. Vuola, and R. Tuokko, “A Microfactory Concept for Laser-Assisted Manufacturing of Personalized Implants.” Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Microfactories IWMF 2008, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA, October 5-7 2008.
-  R. Heikkilä, I. Karjalainen, J. Uusitalo, A. Vuola, and R. Tuokko, “Possibilities of a Microfactory in the Assembly of Small Parts and Products – First Results of the M4-project,” Proceedings of the ISAM 2007, IEEE International symposium on assembly and manufacturing, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, pp. 166-171, July 22-25, 2007.
-  S. Perroud, A. Codourey, and Y. Mussard, “PocketDelta: a miniature robot for micro-assembly,” 5th International Workshop on Microfactories, Besancon, France, October 25-27, 2006.
-  E. Järvenpää, R. Heikkilä, and R. Tuokko, “Logistic and Control Aspects for Flexible and Reactive Micro and Desktop Assembly at the Factory Level,” ISAM 2009, IEEE International symposium on assembly and manufacturing, Suwon, Korea, November 17-20, 2009 (accepted).
-  Oy. Wisematic, “Wisematic Minifeeder System,” Online, 2009.
Available: http://www.wisematic.com/Minif-system.htm. [Viewed 5.4.2009]
-  F. Jovane, E. Westkämper, and D. Williams, “The ManuFuture Road – Towards Competititve and Sustainable High-Adding-Value Manufacturing.” Springer, p. 261, 2009.
-  T. Prusi, J. Uusitalo, R. Heikkilä, and R. Tuokko, “Visual On-line Measurement in a Laser Micro Lathe,” Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Microfactories IWMF 2008, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA, October 5-7, 2008.